ADVERTISEMENT

Courtland 50 Louisa 24

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
36-10 at halftime. Always a lot of shoulda coulda wouldas against Courtland. Score could be 29-24 at least. A Louisa fumble around the Courtland 10 yard line as they were moving at will on their first drive, and a personal foul at the Courtland 2 after a long pass eventually led to a field goal, and the score would be a little different. Then a Courtland pick 6 right before halftime as Louisa was driving again. But it doesn't matter, Louisa's playing its worst defense in many years.

Last edited:
Well in defense of lions the teams they are playing the first two games of their season are top tier teams. Only a few eastern teams are better most likely.

Reactions: Louisadad
Courtland and Sherando are good, but Louisa is making them look like college teams. There's a reason Courtland had only scored 21 total points before tonight. I'm already content with how the season's gonna play out for us, and everyone else should be too. Our offense will be good. Defense is that bad.

Courtland and Sherando are good, but Louisa is making them look like college teams. There's a reason Courtland had only scored 21 total points before tonight. I'm already content with how the season's gonna play out for us, and everyone else should be too. Our offense will be good. Defense is that bad.
Maybe but jd teams are not going to be better than Sherando of courtland.

Last edited:
I will say I love, love, love our new offense. Uptempo, almost no huddle, single wing, spread and I formations. Looks great. Bad snaps have been eliminated. Man, if we had half a defense, we'd beat Courtland. Courtland has also fixed their fumbling, of course. Can we start playing them in week 1?

Louisa scores a couple of times against Courtland's starters to make it 43-24. Then Courtland scores in 1 play to make it 50 with 4 minutes left.

After mulling things over, Louisa might be okay and win more games than I thought. #72 Quinton Ragland didn't play, and I don't think it made a difference defensively, but I think it will later. The one bright spot of the defense was #5 sophomore RaQuan Jones. On one play in the second half, he stood Victor Greene up one on one and flattened him. Beastly play, and I'm interested in seeing how he progresses. But besides that one play, the defense was atrocious. Yes they're young and have a new defensive coordinator, but they shouldn't be this bad. They started the game like they were going to do something, but things snowballed quickly a few plays later.

I absolutely loved what we did on offense, it's just painful knowing there are a lot of shootouts on the way. We had Courtland's defense on their heels for most of the game. Easily the best offense Courtland has faced so far this year. I can't wait to see the stats. Jones and DeVonte Shelton got some carries at fullback out of I formations a'la Ramsey of Salem, while Whalen got the bulk of the carries. Great mix of single wing, I, and Pistol.

So you think Ponax and Riverbend don't have as good an offense as Louisa and easily so? OK. You could make an argument that Courtland only gave up one TD to those two combined and 3 to Louisa. You're entitled to that point of view.

I saw Greene, Wilborne, Grant, Allen, and the rest of the starting defense the whole game, along with the same defensive linemen who were subbing the whole game. Even my dad and I were laughing about it, joking that Courtland didn't have enough players to bring out a second team defense.

The fact is Louisa's offense was potent most of the game besides the first drive fumble, the personal foul near the Courtland goalline, the pick six and the two punts. I'm sure Ponax has improved, but that same Courtland defense that was in Ponax's backfield most of that game, got pushed around a lot tonight.

Last edited:
I saw Greene, Wilborne, Grant, Allen, and the rest of the starting defense the whole game, along with the same defensive linemen who were subbing the whole game.

I think you need to "look" again. Yeah the DB's were the same but there were several clean uniforms in other places. Louisa is a big football team and they do what they do well, but they were never in this game after their first drive. You can talk about the "What Ifs" all you want...the reality is the other team stepped up and made plays when they needed to. Defense matters, creating turnovers and holding teams to 3 pst instead of 7 is a part of the game.

I know I also saw Greene, Beatty, and #79 the whole game. I was wondering why Hall was risking injury to them. Of course Louisa wasn't in the game, they couldn't stop a soul.

Last edited:
Louisa had 355 yards of total offense, 297 yards rushing, 17 first downs, 2 turnovers, and only 2 penalties. Whalen had 189 yards rushing. The FLS currently has the team stats switched, so I confirmed them with another source. Cherry threw some high passes to wide open receivers that were tipped/dropped. Credit the Courtland defense for pressuring him and getting the pick 6, and blocking the punt, but they really didn't do much, and would've been in trouble if we weren't so hapless defensively and had actually gotten a few stops. I would like to think Sherando's defense is better than Courtland's, but we were still missing a couple of linemen against them, and had so many bad snaps, so it's hard to say for sure. It definitely felt like Sherando had better team speed defensively, I admit they were flying from sideline to sideline compared to Courtland. I'm looking forward to @skynard1's comments.

Last edited:
Just watched my sons hudl video. Greene didn't play any of the fourth on defense and they played DE's who together didn't weigh as much as any of Louisa's offensive linemen. Two passes had open receivers...one because of blown coverage (give Louisa credit for executing) and other one QB over threw because of pressure (Beatty). Only dropped pass was screen to TE because he was hit as soon as he touched it- good thing because it would have been a 3 yard loss.

Louisa Drives:
1st drive: fumble
2nd drive: -3 yards (third down play DB dropped interception...no open WR)... Punt
3rd drive: 11 yards (third down play two DB's cause the other to drop interception...no open WR)....punt is blocked.
4th drive: long pass 58 yards on blown coverage gets ball to 7 yd. Next play 53 gets thrown out of the game (ball placed on 16). Louisa gains 2 yards and settles for FG. They also attempted a screen pass in which TE was hit as soon as the ball reached him....no open WR.
5th drive: Louisa scores and drive stared on Louisa's 42 yard line.
6th drive: interception return for TD....no open WR.
7th drive: -2 yards
Half....score now 36-10.
8th drive: -4 yards...on 4th down QB misses open TE (over throws)...I think having Beatty in his face had something to with that, which is a part of defense.

So when do you think most of those yards came from? Once score was 43-10 and in the 4th quarter? I'm not comparing Courtland's defense to Sherando's - I have not seen them and I'm sure they are good. I know what I saw last night and Louisa's offense was not as nearly efficient as you are making them out to be. Good Luck to Louisa the rest of the year - it seems like they are building a good program under Fisher and I can't imagine any team looks forward to playing that style of offense.

footballfan1992 Your breakdown is right on the money. I don't understand why some want to throw the towel in already. This season is just getting started. What we have gained by playing Top Teams you will not find it on the score board in the pass 2 games. You will find it in the games to come. Louisa is making steps forward we are not sitting still. This puzzle is getting TOGETHER piece by piece. There are some things we will fix and some things that are working. Next week we travel to King George. Sorry I got to go and watch my daughter play volleyball. Living the life Louisa Football on a Friday night and Penn State Harrisburg Volleyball on a Saturday. Lion 4 Life!!

the schedule is tough for the Lions and they'll have to a lot of good teams to face. Right now, I see 3 -7 or 4 - 6.

Just watched my sons hudl video. Greene didn't play any of the fourth on defense and they played DE's who together didn't weigh as much as any of Louisa's offensive linemen. Two passes had open receivers...one because of blown coverage (give Louisa credit for executing) and other one QB over threw because of pressure (Beatty). Only dropped pass was screen to TE because he was hit as soon as he touched it- good thing because it would have been a 3 yard loss.

Louisa Drives:
1st drive: fumble
2nd drive: -3 yards (third down play DB dropped interception...no open WR)... Punt
3rd drive: 11 yards (third down play two DB's cause the other to drop interception...no open WR)....punt is blocked.
4th drive: long pass 58 yards on blown coverage gets ball to 7 yd. Next play 53 gets thrown out of the game (ball placed on 16). Louisa gains 2 yards and settles for FG. They also attempted a screen pass in which TE was hit as soon as the ball reached him....no open WR.
5th drive: Louisa scores and drive stared on Louisa's 42 yard line.
6th drive: interception return for TD....no open WR.
7th drive: -2 yards
Half....score now 36-10.
8th drive: -4 yards...on 4th down QB misses open TE (over throws)...I think having Beatty in his face had something to with that, which is a part of defense.

So when do you think most of those yards came from? Once score was 43-10 and in the 4th quarter? I'm not comparing Courtland's defense to Sherando's - I have not seen them and I'm sure they are good. I know what I saw last night and Louisa's offense was not as nearly efficient as you are making them out to be. Good Luck to Louisa the rest of the year - it seems like they are building a good program under Fisher and I can't imagine any team looks forward to playing that style of offense.
Not gonna dispute a passionate parent, still think those starters played the whole game on offense and defense, but okay. #53 acted in retaliation, and of course only the retaliation is caught. If the ball was moved to the 16, then they had made it to the 1, I was wrong and said the 2.

the schedule is tough for the Lions and they'll have to a lot of good teams to face. Right now, I see 3 -7 or 4 - 6.
I think they could still go 7-3. But what you say is very possible. If they go 3-7 I hope we give them one of those losses, but don't see that realistically.

HoosFan...you obviously see "everything" through "green and gold" lenses (retaliation, stats, etc.). Why would I tell you something which can clearly be seen on video? Watch the replay of the game...you'll see subs and #2 never plays defense in 4th quarter (Correction: #2 plays first play of 4th quarter and that is it). If you want to twist reality to convince yourself Louisa is the next offensive giant than please feel free to do so.

Did Courtland have starters in the game on defense through out? Yes, they did. Did they have them all in there? No they did not. The starters are starters on both sides of the ball. I looked this morning and Courtland has 7 to 9 players starting both ways. Tough to go against that offense all four quarters with out getting worn down a bit. I am sure if Courtland was to play you again this week, they would be confident in what the outcome would be.

We'll see you next year.

Last edited:
Have to admit, kind of felt the same way way after Sherando played Louisa. However , I did see athletic ability on that team, they need coached up! Going to take some time

If you are thrown out of a game , you are automatically gone for the next, I believe. Unless you win a appeal.
The tape shows no punches thrown, the player is a senior, has never played dirty and says he didn't do it, so I hope they appeal and win it.

You must have a great angle because the action takes place behind the pile of players on our hudl video (all you can see is a blue helmet snapping back) and both teams video from the same spot.

Suh is a professional and he always says he didn't do it.

Have to admit, kind of felt the same way way after Sherando played Louisa. However , I did see athletic ability on that team, they need coached up! Going to take some time
You must have a great angle because the action takes place behind the pile of players on our hudl video (all you can see is a blue helmet snapping back) and both teams video from the same spot.

Suh is a professional and he always says he didn't do it.
HAHA. Thats funny! I am doubting they win the appeal, unless the evidence is conclusive. The one time replay is used in high school.

The tape shows no punches thrown, the player is a senior, has never played dirty and says he didn't do it, so I hope they appeal and win it.
Only conclusive evidence will overturn and the official was certain of something occurring. The ejection was immediate. you also not only have the school film but the TV film so a chance to overturn this is even more possible. gL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT