ADVERTISEMENT

Courtlands Grant de commits from UVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
So I wonder what the story behind this is. My understanding is he is upset that Mendenhall hasn't contacted him since he still has time with BYU until he reaches out to commits.

Could it be he pulled back because London, who recruited him, is gone? If he shows interest in Maryland, that was obviously the primary reason.

In case anyone missed the news, London is now the Associate Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator for Maryland.

If I read correctly UVA was his only offer and so it can be a situation where the new staff isn't really a fan. I have seen where they stop talking to a recruit kid gets angry and decommitts like they want him to do anyways. Saves them some face from calling and kid and saying we need that offer back.

Reactions: gwb16 and OCBoy
What's the percentage of players that actually make it to nfl? I just think having a degree from UVA in my back pocket would weigh a lot on my decision. Also this coach is the real deal, UVA will be back sooner than later

Reactions: Hoosdefense
What's the percentage of players that actually make it to nfl? I just think having a degree from UVA in my back pocket would weigh a lot on my decision. Also this coach is the real deal, UVA will be back sooner than later
Degree from VT, Maryland, Ohio State, North Carolina, JMU, VMI, Richmond, etc. would all be good to have in back pocket. All of those schools and plenty others not mentioned could give you hundreds of athletes that are successful with their college degrees. Don't get me wrong UVA is top notch academically, but it doesn't guarantee that you would get a job over other colleges if you are interviewing for the same job.

The education at UVA would be good, but not the football. Most recruits go to the school they select for football reasons, after all they are recruited for football.
That is true but playing at a D1 school in the ACC is a pretty good gig. Plus UVA will improve very quickly under the new coaching staff. The cubbord is not bare in Charlottesville.

I recall hearing same thing about Al Groh and Mike London. I believe all 19 schools that have recently hired new coaches all think the new coach will lead them out of the wilderness to the promise land.

UVA is still UVA.

That is true but playing at a D1 school in the ACC is a pretty good gig. Plus UVA will improve very quickly under the new coaching staff. The cubbord is not bare in Charlottesville.
I always thought if they hit it big with a QB things will change at UVA. Look at Clemson and North Carolina. Two good QBs and they play for ACC title. FSU ruled the conference the last few years. No EJ Manuel, Winston, etc. and they don't even make it back to the ACC title game. Same with VT no great QB play and you have to win the last game to make it to a bowl game. The recruitment of a great QB should be top priority.

I watched all of Coach Mendenhall's press conference and he impressed me quite a bit. I think the fact that he's finishing his obligation to the boys at BYU and coach them in the Las Vegas Bowl is the honorable thing to do. I'm not sure what Nick's reasons are for decomitting are, I hope it isn't all based on not getting immediate attention from the new staff. Coach Mendenhall basically put it out there that he had very high expectations and will demand accountability--some will relish that and some will run from that. Who's to say which it is for Mr. Grant.

If I read correctly UVA was his only offer and so it can be a situation where the new staff isn't really a fan. I have seen where they stop talking to a recruit kid gets angry and decommitts like they want him to do anyways. Saves them some face from calling and kid and saying we need that offer back.
My understanding is they might have pulled the offer and Coach Beatty was the one recruiting him...

I recall hearing same thing about Al Groh and Mike London. I believe all 19 schools that have recently hired new coaches all think the new coach will lead them out of the wilderness to the promise land.

UVA is still UVA.
It helps to be in one of the weakest divisions of any power 5 conference in the country. UVA finally hired a proven head coach at the D1 level. It was a home run hire in every way! Now that they have that coach they are 1 competent QB away from being a 8 win team again.

UVA is still UVA.
It's not about the name of the college, it's all about the atmosphere and does the recruit feel comfortable being a student athlete there. I wouldn't go to UVA if I had a full ride, because I would not fit in there at all. Not a slam against UVA, but I wouldn't fit in. I went to JMU, and absolutely fricken loved it there. And this was back in the 80's before they got bigger. It's all about where he's gonna feel most comfortable and get the best education for him, and he deserves that choice, scholarship or not.

Reactions: gwb16
If UVA won 8 games most of their fans, it would be impossible to be around them. This is type of fans who would storm field if they ever win 6 games to make a bowl.

Reactions: aw19752
It helps to be in one of the weakest divisions of any power 5 conference in the country. UVA finally hired a proven head coach at the D1 level. It was a home run hire in every way! Now that they have that coach they are 1 competent QB away from being a 8 win team again.
I have to be honest Salem I don't know much about this coach...why you feel it is a homerun?

I have to be honest Salem I don't know much about this coach...why you feel it is a homerun?
He has been the head coach at a D1 school (BYU) for last 11 years that probably has the highest recruiting restrictions of any school in the country yet he has 99-42. That's an average of 9 wins a year! Imagine what he can do at a school with a much larger recruiting base and without those built in restrictions. He won 10+ games in 5 of 11 seasons and his teams made it to a bowl game in all 11 years he was coach. No other way to look at the hire other than a home run.

Interesting de-commit since Courtland also had a kid, Victor Green, de-commit from VT and VT was his only offer as well. I think a similar situation occurred where Fuente came in and didn't like the offer and there was a mutual decision reached and the kid is headed elsewhere. Best of luck to both Courtland kids, I'm sure they'll still play their college ball for free!

If UVA won 8 games most of their fans, it would be impossible to be around them. This is type of fans who would storm field if they ever win 6 games to make a bowl.
No true UVA fan would storm any field or be satisfied with 6 win seasons. 6 wins is not the ceiling but it should be the floor of the program under Bronco. UVA fans know what sports excellence looks like and expect the football program to be a part of that. After All they have one of the top athletic programs in the country. 6 wins a season will buy Bronco some time but that is all.

Overall amount of players in college making it to the NFL is well under 10%. # who actually play is well less than that.

I agree with you. The record is good I get that but it's also with what 22,23 maybe even 24 year old MEN..these guys are going on their mission trips for 2 years and coming back to play football.. They should be physically more gifted than some of the other schools they play with a team of 18-21 year olds

The standard at UVA has always been 6 wins dating back to Geoge Welsh days. I recall Mac McDonald getting so excited when UVA once won 6th game of season he almost fell out of booth.

The standard at UVA has always been 6 wins dating back to Geoge Welsh days. I recall Mac McDonald getting so excited when UVA once won 6th game of season he almost fell out of booth.
Welsh won 7 or more games for 13 years in a row. At one time UVA was one of only a hand full of schools in the country with such a streak. He also compiled 4 nine win seasons and a 10 win season. Not to mention a #1 national ranking which to this day remains the only program from the state to make that claim. Doesn't sound like 6 wins was the standard to me and shouldn't be the standard moving forward.

Believe me 6 wins was the standard, but in some years they exceeded the standard.
HR6...Don't get into this with Salem...if he doesn't get his way he will continue until Rod closes the thread down...Sorry Salem but you made it to easy this time lol

Degree from VT, Maryland, Ohio State, North Carolina, JMU, VMI, Richmond, etc. would all be good to have in back pocket. All of those schools and plenty others not mentioned could give you hundreds of athletes that are successful with their college degrees. Don't get me wrong UVA is top notch academically, but it doesn't guarantee that you would get a job over other colleges if you are interviewing for the same job.
I would disagree with you there. I own a business and if there were 2 applicants who are equal in the necessary job requirement areas, I would hire the applicant with the degree from UVA over the other schools you cited.

I would disagree with you there. I own a business and if there were 2 applicants who are equal in the necessary job requirement areas, I would hire the applicant with the degree from UVA over the other schools you cited.
Where did you graduate from? If they are equal that means the applicant received an equivalent education as UVA. So what makes you select UVA?

No it does not mean they received an equal education and I do not have the time nor the energy to try to explain why to you. Either you understand it or you do not. BTW: I went to UNC.
" I own a business and if there were 2 applicants who are equal in the necessary job requirement areas" - You said they were equal not me lol

Where did you graduate from? If they are equal that means the applicant received an equivalent education as UVA. So what makes you select UVA?
I think what white&blue was trying to say was he does not believe all degrees are weighted the same. For instance, a law or medical degree from UVA is not equal to the same degree from those other schools in his mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT