ADVERTISEMENT

Culpeper moving to 4A next year

Not an easy 4A district to be in, especially when only six teams make the playoffs in Region C.

Culpeper County still has plenty of talent between the two schools to compete with the usual suspects. Culpeper High just needs the admin and community support and coaching to all come together. There is too much of a "wannabe country gangsta" mentality amongst the kids there. They're one of those teams most years where if you saw screenshots or short clips of them, you'd think they're a dominant team, but a full game would instantly change that thought, whereas EV is actually dominant now. In many ways that mentality is similar to Caroline. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Culpeper right up there with the Winchester-area schools in a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead

Minutes from the last VHSL Alignment Committee Meeting
apparently Culpeper requested the move

Minutes from the last VHSL Alignment Committee Meeting
apparently Culpeper requested the move
Yes they did...and they want to stay in the same district/region. I'm just surprised that the VHSL would think it's ok to have 2 schools in the same county, at the same size designation, be in 2 different districts/regions.

Culpeper County still has plenty of talent between the two schools to compete with the usual suspects. Culpeper High just needs the admin and community support and coaching to all come together. There is too much of a "wannabe country gangsta" mentality amongst the kids there. They're one of those teams most years where if you saw screenshots or short clips of them, you'd think they're a dominant team, but a full game would instantly change that thought, whereas EV is actually dominant now. In many ways that mentality is similar to Caroline. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Culpeper right up there with the Winchester-area schools in a few years.
Culpeper High School absolutely has the athletes to be competitive. I believe it all comes down to coaching and preparation. The "wannabe country gangsta" thing you mention has no merit for me. There are a lot of kids at a lot of schools in VA that have that mentality and they perform just fine. A good coach that has a handful of good leaders on the team can overcome any mentality.

@86CulpGrad I definitely agree, they just need what you mentioned to overcome the mentality, right now they don't have it. EV has been able to do it. It's been fun watching Charlottesville first hand slowly do it too, from the inside and out.

I can’t help but think that Culpeper should be in the Battlefield again. Do they get better gates with the NWD schools schools? Don’t want to be with E View? Too far to go to King George? Thought for sure they’d move in the new cycle.

http://www.starexponent.com/cse/cul...cle_6558fa2e-6a75-58b9-8a8c-498c9f41516f.html

I don't understand how 2 schools in the same county....that will both be 4A schools, will be in different districts and different regions. That makes zero sense.
I agree, it doesn’t make sense. However, it’s not uncommon. I know Staunton River and Liberty-Bedford are both 3A and in Bedford county but they’re in different districts and regions. I’m pretty sure several schools in Roanoke County are in the same situation. Maybe it’s just a numbers game in an attempt to keep the regions balanced. I really don’t know.

I can’t help but think that Culpeper should be in the Battlefield again. Do they get better gates with the NWD schools schools? Don’t want to be with E View? Too far to go to King George? Thought for sure they’d move in the new cycle.
I don't think it's because of Eastern View. Both schools play each other in every sport anyway (local Community Cup competition).

Interesting article, some of the words used. The last paragraph where they mention the 300 more students. They have been on the other side of that for a few years basically playing with a 4A enrollment but inside the 5% that kept them 3A. Yes size matters, but there are many schools that play on the lower end of the classifications and win. I believe Salem is one of them. But it's that built in excuse that keeps them where they are. They have had lots of talent and this year is no different, but they have more swagger off the field than on. I understand why they stayed in the other district, the battlefield is generally very good (although last year did not represent that) but the biggest thing about the battlefield is it's very physical. Tough kids with attitude on all the teams. Tough is not a word I would use to describe CC's football team. I think the region C gets even weaker with the realignment (although I have been a bit out of the loop) but aren't Woodgrove and Dominion moving up? All that being said, they have a pretty decent team on paper this year and a lot of good kids. They should win more games than they lose (on paper). My only concern is it's the first week of July and you already hear the talk, how good they will be, wait till you see what we got, blah blah.. I hope they are good, would love to see a real rivalry in the county, nothing like it when two teams from the same county put on a show!!

Interesting article, some of the words used. The last paragraph where they mention the 300 more students. They have been on the other side of that for a few years basically playing with a 4A enrollment but inside the 5% that kept them 3A. Yes size matters, but there are many schools that play on the lower end of the classifications and win. I believe Salem is one of them. But it's that built in excuse that keeps them where they are. They have had lots of talent and this year is no different, but they have more swagger off the field than on. I understand why they stayed in the other district, the battlefield is generally very good (although last year did not represent that) but the biggest thing about the battlefield is it's very physical. Tough kids with attitude on all the teams. Tough is not a word I would use to describe CC's football team. I think the region C gets even weaker with the realignment (although I have been a bit out of the loop) but aren't Woodgrove and Dominion moving up? All that being said, they have a pretty decent team on paper this year and a lot of good kids. They should win more games than they lose (on paper). My only concern is it's the first week of July and you already hear the talk, how good they will be, wait till you see what we got, blah blah.. I hope they are good, would love to see a real rivalry in the county, nothing like it when two teams from the same county put on a show!!

I might be wrong, but I think Dominion will still be 4A. Woodgrove is moving up and Tuscarora is moving down to 4A, so Region C should be around the same provided that Tuscarora doesn't go on a Broad Run/Briar Woods-like run.

Reactions: OCBoy
I might be wrong, but I think Dominion will still be 4A. Woodgrove is moving up and Tuscarora is moving down to 4A, so Region C should be around the same provided that Tuscarora doesn't go on a Broad Run/Briar Woods-like run.
That’s yet to be seen if Tuscarora is even gonna be the same Tuscarora. They have a first year head coach so we shall see

That’s yet to be seen if Tuscarora is even gonna be the same Tuscarora. They have a first year head coach so we shall see
I believe that Tuscarora promoted a coordinator to Head Coach and they have A LOT coming back, they may be down next year though when they make the move to 4A.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT