ADVERTISEMENT

Cut Blocks

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
I know the NFL has eliminated cut blocks, and the NCAA has modified the rule slightly this year, but what is the rule on cut blocking in high school?

I know the NFL has eliminated cut blocks, and the NCAA has modified the rule slightly this year, but what is the rule on cut blocking in high school?
Just for clarification purpose I assume you are referring to a block below the waist as a cut block? This is also at times confused with a chop block (which is a high-low combination and is always illegal with no real exceptions in any rule code).
NCAA began tweaking the low blocking rule 6 years ago. Before that time blocks below the waist in NCAA were legal with exceptions. Today blocks below the waist are illegal with exceptions. This is often the hardest piece of a college football game to officiate.

Cut blocks are legal for one very brief period of time in one very limited space.

Blocks below the waist are legal In the free blocking zone by players who are on the line of scrimmage at the snap, blocking players who were also on the line of scrimmage at the snap. And only while the ball is in the zone.

Basically, at the snap, a lineman has one chance to block low. It must be immediate. After that, no cut blocks in high school.

Personally, I wish they'd get rid of all low blocks, but they don't ask me.

Last edited:
Which official watches the free blocking zone? Do officials have a progression they work through as a play develops, so to focus their attention on certain areas?

The umpire has the responsibility for line play. Delayed blocks, after the ball has left the FBZ, are usually his responsibility. The referee will look for low blocks by running backs or by defenders attempting to take out lead blockers.

Blocking below the waist is just as illegal for the defense as it is for the offense.

Last edited:
Blocking below the waist is just as legal for the defense as it is for the offense.

True, plus just as illegal. I've seen defensive backs take out lead blockers with low blocks and be stunned to learn they just cost their team 15 yards.

"How can you call that? He's on DEFENSE!!"

Doesn't matter.

Is a barrel roll a legal way to take out offensive linemen by defensive linemen while they are whipping their legs against a gun offense where the ball has left the zone?

Is a barrel roll a legal way to take out offensive linemen by defensive linemen while they are whipping their legs against a gun offense where the ball has left the zone?

Simple question. Complicated answer.

Since it's lineman on lineman, the answer seems to be yes. But once the ball leaves the zone, there is no free blocking zone, so it's no. The lineman are given the chance to block low on an initial charge, but is a barrel roll an initial charge? Hard to say. The real complication in this comes with the simple fact that no offensive lineman who is doing his job is going to stand still and see what the defense does to him, so he's moving to engage, most likely, and that will be a mitigating factor (it will make it into a factor that makes it really hard to officiate.)

The intent of the rule outlawing low blocks is to take out the open field low blocks at speed, usually done by the offense but they can be done by the defense, as noted above. Low blocks in the interior line remain legal, in certain conditions mentioned above, but there is still gray area.

Not meaning to give such a non-committal answer, but it's very hard to give a blanket judgment on the blocks you describe. Some could be legal, some not.

Wow, talk about needing multiple sets of eyes, as well as instantaneous judgement?

Simple question. Complicated answer.

Since it's lineman on lineman, the answer seems to be yes. But once the ball leaves the zone, there is no free blocking zone, so it's no. The lineman are given the chance to block low on an initial charge, but is a barrel roll an initial charge? Hard to say. The real complication in this comes with the simple fact that no offensive lineman who is doing his job is going to stand still and see what the defense does to him, so he's moving to engage, most likely, and that will be a mitigating factor (it will make it into a factor that makes it really hard to officiate.)

The intent of the rule outlawing low blocks is to take out the open field low blocks at speed, usually done by the offense but they can be done by the defense, as noted above. Low blocks in the interior line remain legal, in certain conditions mentioned above, but there is still gray area.

Not meaning to give such a non-committal answer, but it's very hard to give a blanket judgment on the blocks you describe. Some could be legal, some not.

To barrel roll you have to drop your shoulder then begin the charge. Wouldn't this be a delayed reaction? Also flailing the legs to try and trip blockers is that legal?

If they go forward at the snap, then the dropping of the shoulder is not a delay. It's illegal to leg whip or trip opponents (except the runner).

I don't understand this tactic, I guess. I would think a defense would put itself at a major disadvantage if its line laid down. No one is going to be in position to rush a passer or pursue a play outside.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT