ADVERTISEMENT

Danville Dirty Birds 57 Coach Christmas Crew 56

DanvilleSportsHead

VaPreps All District
Sep 24, 2014
North Danville, VA
WHAT A GAME between the JF Cavaliers and GW Danville tonight. 1,150+ yards, 113 points and a crazy ending! Jerry Horng kicked a 38 yard FG to lift Danville to victory. GW was led by QB Carlos Poole who had over 280 yards passing (3 passing TDs/1 rushing) and SOPHOMORE WR Shawn Watlington Jr. who had a monster night with 236 receiving yards. JF QB O'Donnell had a huge night with 4 TD passes and a rushing TD. JF's RB Jacob Hackworth had a huge night with 130+ yards rushing and 200+ receiving. GW improves to 2-1 and JF goes to 1-2.

I am not hating on GW but do they have defensive practice? Giving up about 50 points a game. Congratulations on the win but good lawd!!!LOL
Lol no offense taken Pioneer, you and Navy are 1000000% correct on the defense. They have 3 key defensive starters out due to injury but d*mn, them boys playing could still hit somebody LOL!! Congrats on your W over Appo last night and good luck in the Seminole!

The first 3 weeks have clearly established GW as a pretender again, injured or healthy. They cannot tackle anybody and even more telling they have been marginally better/competitive with 3 teams that would not be considered serious playoff threats. Both Amherst and LCA got spanked last night and JF, like GW, hasn't shown they have a clue on defense. GW has the athleticism to play good defense so the question arises as to whether the failure lies in effort, technique, coaching or some combination of all three. Giving up 153 points used to constitute a bad season(including the playoffs) not the first three weeks. Most importantly, it is fine to be able to score a lot of points but, history has proven time and again that to actually win the games that matter and a championship you have to be able to actually stop somebody because there is always going to come those weeks where a team is just not lucky enough to be the last one with the ball.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
The first 3 weeks have clearly established GW as a pretender again, injured or healthy. They cannot tackle anybody and even more telling they have been marginally better/competitive with 3 teams that would not be considered serious playoff threats. Both Amherst and LCA got spanked last night and JF, like GW, hasn't shown they have a clue on defense. GW has the athleticism to play good defense so the question arises as to whether the failure lies in effort, technique, coaching or some combination of all three. Giving up 153 points used to constitute a bad season(including the playoffs) not the first three weeks. Most importantly, it is fine to be able to score a lot of points but, history has proven time and again that to actually win the games that matter and a championship you have to be able to actually stop somebody because there is always going to come those weeks where a team is just not lucky enough to be the last one with the ball.
I don't believe that GW is a pretender. They are finding ways to win games. Amherst played a tough team last night, LCA played a team that no Seminole team would want to see. People in northern va know how good Martinsburg, WV is. Yeah having a good defense helps you and makes it easier to win hands but to win ballgames you just have to find a way to win no matter what it looks like. LCA has a good line and rbs they are a tough team to stop and can put up numbers, Amherst is fast and has a good offensive scheme, and if always puts numbers on the scoreboard bc of the offense which is tough to stop in high school you have to be very disciplined. So yeah GW has struggled on defense but so do the patriots but the win Super Bowls. When it comes down to it you just have to score one more point than the other team. GW will go 9-1 and be hard team to beat in nov.

@cutnjump you think you'll make the GW/Magna Vista game this year? I'd love to meet you.
Next time I may have an opportunity to see GW might be playoffs but, when I am around I will make an effort to see if we can meet. After rereading the above my tone might be harsh but, in my opinion, neither GW or any of their first 3 opponents are legitimate threats to the best 4A teams. I also think that a huge disadvantage for GW is that even if they go 9-1 the Piedmont will not be good preparation for a playoff berth as it is arguably one of the softest districts, top to bottom, in the state, and a far cry from the preparation the old Western and Western Valley districts provided for playoff competition. Again just my opinion. I will say the pasting LT took will cause a rethinking of the top of the classification. Also, I believe home field advantage and game venues at semifinal level could have a very significant impact on who finally arrives in Williamsburg.

Next time I may have an opportunity to see GW might be playoffs but, when I am around I will make an effort to see if we can meet. After rereading the above my tone might be harsh but, in my opinion, neither GW or any of their first 3 opponents are legitimate threats to the best 4A teams. I also think that a huge disadvantage for GW is that even if they go 9-1 the Piedmont will not be good preparation for a playoff berth as it is arguably one of the softest districts, top to bottom, in the state, and a far cry from the preparation the old Western and Western Valley districts provided for playoff competition. Again just my opinion. I will say the pasting LT took will cause a rethinking of the top of the classification. Also, I believe home field advantage and game venues at semifinal level could have a very significant impact on who finally arrives in Williamsburg.
Your opinion is always weighted with great knowledge so nothing is harsh you said, only facts. You were there when GW was supreme so you know what's best for the program.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Your opinion is always weighted with great knowledge so nothing is harsh you said, only facts. You were there when GW was supreme so you know what's best for the program.
It is just my opinion, informed by many years around the program, however, there are probably others far more informed and closer now much more qualified to make a determination about what is best for the program. One more opinion, the powers that be in Danville are not really that interested in the program. The school system needs far better leadership and council, if it really wants to drive development and prevent further population exodus, needs to focus on repairing the school system instead of funneling money at every abandoned piece of property in the city.

It is just my opinion, informed by many years around the program, however, there are probably others far more informed and closer now much more qualified to make a determination about what is best for the program. One more opinion, the powers that be in Danville are not really that interested in the program. The school system needs far better leadership and council, if it really wants to drive development and prevent further population exodus, needs to focus on repairing the school system instead of funneling money at every abandoned piece of property in the city.
Thank you sir. Took the words out of my mouth. Like you, I got the h*** away from that city. I had planned to work in education in Danville but like you've stated in numerous posts, the people in charge in Danville could care less and I wasn't going to waste my time there. It's sad. But like you said, they could give a rats tail about that program.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT