ADVERTISEMENT

Differences in NCAA and NFHS rules -- a brief summary

White hat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 17, 2001
Dinwiddie Proud asked for a list of differences between NFHS and NCAA rules.

OK, I'll try to hit a few of the major ones. I found a document that is a summary, and it's an 11 page Word document in 12 pt type.

Needless to say, there are many differences, and both codes are vastly different from NFL rules. (The only NFL rule I hear about with any regularity is the one that says a defensive player can't touch a receiver more than 5 yards downfield. That doesn't even exist in NCAA, much less high school.)

I will say that if you learn the rules based on what the TV guys say about them, you're likely misinformed. I watch a lot of football at the commentators say so many things that are just plain wrong that it's embarrassing.

The BIGGIES

Pocket

--The NCAA defines a pocket as between the original starting spot of the offensive tackles, and allows QUARTERBACKS to dump the ball outside of the pocket. (Other players who attempt passes have no such liberties). NFHS has no pocket definition and does not allow passers to dump the ball without a receiver in the area of the pass.

Facemask

--Grasping the facemask without pulling, turning or twisting (incidental) is no longer a foul in NCAA. The same action is still a foul with a 5-yard penalty in NFHS.

Pass interference

--Faceguarding is not a foul in NCAA. It is pass interference in NFHS.
--There is no pass interference in NCAA is the pass is deemed uncatchable. That stipulation does not exist in NFHS. The language of the rule only requires that the pass is thrown in the direction of the players involved in the interference.

Blocking below the waist

--NCAA allows blocks below the waist if a wide variety of conditions are met and people are going in certain directions. It's a lot like the U.S Tax Code, but more complex. NFHS allows blocks below the waist only by players on the line of scrimmage at the snap and only while the ball is in the free blocking zone, which isn't very long.

Kicks into endzone

--Kickoffs and punts that cross the goal line can be returned if caught in the endzone, but are dead if they touch the ground first in NCAA. All kicks that break the plane of the goal line are touchbacks in NFHS

--Kickoffs that result in a touchback are placed at the 25 yard line in NCAA. All touchbacks are placed on the 20 in NFHS.

Breaking the huddle with 12

--Both codes require a replaced player to depart the huddle within 3 seconds of the substitute entering the huddle. If the huddle breaks in that 3 seconds, it's a foul in NCAA and not in NFHS.

Encroachment

--A defensive player who jumps across the line of scrimmage who gets back on his side before the snap is OK. Jumping across the neutral zone is a deadball foul in NFHS.

Penalty enforcement

--Automatic first downs -- All personal fouls or unsportsmanlike fouls on the defense, as well as defensive pass interference, result in an automatic first down. In NFHS, there are only four fouls that carry an automatic first down and they all include the word "roughing."

Roughing the kicker
Roughing the passer
Roughing the snapper
Roughing the holder

--Fouls that occur behind the line of scrimmage during pass plays are enforced from the previous spot in NCAA. In NFHS, fouls by the offense behind the line during pass plays are enforced from the spot of the foul.

--NCAA has a series of penalties that, in certain circumstances, include a 10-seccond run-off of the clock. NFHS has no penalties that include timing adjustments.

--Intentional grounding is placed at the spot of the pass in NCAA. A 5-yard penalty is added in NFHS.

--Spiking the ball to stop the clock allowed from shotgun if it is immediate in NCAA. Only a QB taking a hand to hand snap under center is allowed to clock the ball in NFHS.

--Defensive pass interference is awarded at the spot of the foul if the spot is less than 15 yards from the line of scrimmage in NCAA. Also, DPI does not adhere to the half-the-distance provisions inside the 30 yards line. The full yardage is marked off at any point, not to go nearer the goal line than the 2 yard line. In NFHS, DPI is always a 15 yard penalty (with no automatic first down) but will be a half-the-distance foul inside the defense's 30 yard line.

The SELDOM SEEN

--NCAA overtimes start at the 25 and have the chance to earn a first down.

NFHS starts at the 10, the chains are not used and the line to gain is ALWAYS the goal line.

--If a game goes to the third (or more) OT period, teams are required to go for 2 on PATs. NFHS has no such requirement.

--NCAA does not allow tripping. NFHS says you can trip the runner.

--A turnover on a try is still a live ball in NCAA and defense can gain possession and score 2 points on a PAT by scoring a touchdown. A turnover ends a try in NFHS.

--Holders can pitch the ball with a knee on the ground in NCAA. In NFHS, this ends the play.

--In NCAA, a fumble on fourth down that goes forward is returned to the spot of the fumble is the offense recovers. No special fourth down rule exists in NFHS.

--After a fair catch, a team cannot line up for a free kick that would score 3 points if the kick goes through the goal. In NFHS, they can attempt a field goal from free kick positions after a fair catch. (This is also allowed in the NFL. No idea what NCAA has against it.)

EQUIPMENT

--NCAA, for reasons unclear to me, allows pants that do not cover the knees. NFHS requires knee to be covered.
--NCAA allows towels only if they are no larger than 4"x12" and everyone on the team wears same color. NFHS allows any solid color and the no smaller than 4"x12.
--NCAA bans overbuilt facemasks. NFHS does not (yet).

--NCAA does not require shoes (I'm guessing the fad of barefoot kickers 30 years ago led to this. NFHS requires shoes.

--NCAA requires teammates to wear matching socks. NFHS does not.

--Hash marks are 60 feet from each sideline in NCAA, 53 feet 4 inches (field divided into thirds) in NFHS.

--Goal posts are 18'6" wide in NCAA, 23'4" in NFHS

There are a lot more that I didn't even touch on because they hardly ever come up. Feel free to ask about them or anything on this list.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Pass interference

--Faceguarding is not a foul in NCAA. It is pass interference in NFHS.
Can you give me specific wording on this rule. I have been told several opinions on the sideline when questioning the call on the field. Last year was told faceguarding is not a foul (no specific wording to disallow it) BUT would always be called DPI because impedes receivers vision of the ball. If there is a specific language not allowing faceguarding ok I will stop arguing; but, if there is no contact and my DB is called for DPI because he doesn't look back even though no rule to say he has to I'm not sure I shouldn't argue???

Penalty enforcement

--Automatic first downs -- All personal fouls or unsportsmanlike fouls on the defense, as well as defensive pass interference, result in an automatic first down. In NFHS, the only automatic first downs
Can you clarify the last part of this statement...feel like there should be more??

Thank you!!

Can you give me specific wording on this rule. I have been told several opinions on the sideline when questioning the call on the field. Last year was told faceguarding is not a foul (no specific wording to disallow it) BUT would always be called DPI because impedes receivers vision of the ball. If there is a specific language not allowing faceguarding ok I will stop arguing; but, if there is no contact and my DB is called for DPI because he doesn't look back even though no rule to say he has to I'm not sure I shouldn't argue???

Here's the actual rule, from the Rules Book. Faceguarding is not a term that's used in the book, but it is described in b.

ART. 10 . . . It is forward-pass interference if:

a. Any player of A or B who is beyond the neutral zone interferes with an eligible opponent's opportunity to move toward, catch or bat the pass.

b. Any player hinders an opponent's vision without making an attempt to catch, intercept or bat the ball, even though no contact was made.

Obviously, this leads to a lot of interpretations. The most common for the guys I work with is that a defeder would really have to stick his hands right in front of the eyes of the opponent to get a flag, For most of us, just raising hands or waiving arms is not enough t draw be called for pass interference. Still, there are guys who would call it that way and, if the waiving can be deemed to affect the vision of an opponent, they're not wrong.

--Automatic first downs -- All personal fouls or unsportsmanlike fouls on the defense, as well as defensive pass interference, result in an automatic first down. In NFHS, there are only
Can you clarify the last part of this statement...feel like there should be more??

Thank you!!

There should be more and I'll edit the original post to include it. This is what you get when you write a long post late at night, move things around and start on one thought, get distracted, and forget to finish it.

What I meant to point out is that in high school football, there are only four fouls that carry an automatic first down and they all include the word "roughing."

Roughing the kicker
Roughing the passer
Roughing the snapper
Roughing the holder

That's it and that's all when it comes to automatic first downs. In most cases, a 15 yard penalty on the defense results in a first down, but not always. I've been on games where guys in the stands are coming apart they're so enraged that no automatic first down is being given following a personal foul -- they would be correct in NCAA or NFL, but not high school.

Now everyone who acts like that can be referred to this board and they will come away satisfied and never get upset at a football game again.... Ya, right.

Here's the actual rule, from the Rules Book. Faceguarding is not a term that's used in the book, but it is described in b.

ART. 10 . . . It is forward-pass interference if:

a. Any player of A or B who is beyond the neutral zone interferes with an eligible opponent's opportunity to move toward, catch or bat the pass.

b. Any player hinders an opponent's vision without making an attempt to catch, intercept or bat the ball, even though no contact was made.

Obviously, this leads to a lot of interpretations. The most common for the guys I work with is that a defeder would really have to stick his hands right in front of the eyes of the opponent to get a flag, For most of us, just raising hands or waiving arms is not enough t draw be called for pass interference. Still, there are guys who would call it that way and, if the waiving can be deemed to affect the vision of an opponent, they're not wrong.

There should be more and I'll edit the original post to include it. This is what you get when you write a long post late at night, move things around and start on one thought, get distracted, and forget to finish it.

What I meant to point out is that in high school football, there are only four fouls that carry an automatic first down and they all include the word "roughing."

Roughing the kicker
Roughing the passer
Roughing the snapper
Roughing the holder

That's it and that's all when it comes to automatic first downs. In most cases, a 15 yard penalty on the defense results in a first down, but not always. I've been on games where guys in the stands are coming apart they're so enraged that no automatic first down is being given following a personal foul -- they would be correct in NCAA or NFL, but not high school.

Now everyone who acts like that can be referred to this board and they will come away satisfied and never get upset at a football game again.... Ya, right.

Yeah, but wouldn't you be bored if both sides of the field clapped for you and your calls. Like "great call ref, our guard was holding, Thanks for calling it!"

Like you said, ya, right!

I know the abuse you take, but I was just chuckling to myself. It could be worse. You could be calling soccer matches in South America or Europe!

What is the advantage of an "overbuilt" face mask? Especially now the the head is essentially "out of play".

Hash marks and goalpost, how is it officially addressed when teams play on college fields, such as in the playoffs?(i.e. Liberty U.)

What are the possible calls on a 4th down, forward fumble recovered by A, let's just say for a first down? If the fumble appears to be legit? If the fumble was questionable? If it is a legit fumble but A kicks it past the line to gain?

Is there a standard, required time for when the team captains must meet the officials for pre game? Such as 10 minutes before scheduled kick off? If it is a requirements, how is it handled if one team's captains are late, or do not come out?

You asked for it, and you know me. I have more questions than Jeporady.

What is the advantage of an "overbuilt" face mask? Especially now the the head is essentially "out of play".
There is no advantage. It's purely decorative. The NCAA has determined it adds weight to the headgear that could be considered to put the player at risk for head or neck injuries, so they have been banned in NCAA.

A recent study at UNH backs up the NCAA conclusion. Link below:
https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/overbuilt-facemasks.pdf

Hash marks and goalpost, how is it officially addressed when teams play on college fields, such as in the playoffs?(i.e. Liberty U.)

The language in the Rules Book simply says that it is permissable to use college and pro football fields with the markings and goal posts prescribed by those codes. Make note, the field must be an NCAA or pro football field. You can't just mark any field with college or pro markings and think it's OK.
What are the possible calls on a 4th down, forward fumble recovered by A, let's just say for a first down? If the fumble appears to be legit? If the fumble was questionable? If it is a legit fumble but A kicks it past the line to gain?

A fumble on fourth down is just the same as a fumble on any other down. If it appears to be an illegal forward pass, it should be flagged. If it isn't, it's just a fumble -- If recovered by a past the line to gain, first down for A. Or if the fumble goes out of bounds past the line to gain, first down for A. Seems like a runner who is afraid he's not going to make the line to gain would just fumble, but I've never seen that happen.
Is there a standard, required time for when the team captains must meet the officials for pre game? Such as 10 minutes before scheduled kick off? If it is a requirements, how is it handled if one team's captains are late, or do not come out?

The Rules Book says 3 minutes before game time. That's not strictly enforced because there is usually so much stuff going on that can wreck an agenda. I never know when the National Anthem is going to be played and I've noticed an amazing lack of communication between football coaches, ADs and band directors. No one ever seems to know when the anthem will happen. Senior nights and other events often disrupt the timing of the coin toss.

If a team isn't out there and ready, technically it's a 15 yard penalty on the head caoch. I've twice called this as a delay of game, but never plunked down a 15 yarder. By rule, it's a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct if a team is not back on the sidelines prior to the start of the 3 minute warm-up period before the second half. So if halftime is 15 minutes, it will be 18 miunutes because of the mandatiry warmup period but the teams must be back in 15 minutes. I've never been too strict with this, either. but if I think a team is purposely delaying, I will flag it. (We send officials to get the teams, so I have a good idea why a team isn't there -- if the coach lost track of time, it's one thing. If he's been told it's time to get to the field and he doesn't care, it's another.)

You asked for it, and you know me. I have more questions than Jeporady.

Ask all you want. I'm always glad to talk about football rules.

Last edited:
You know the old saying, "you can call holding on every play"? Other than a blatant obvious hold, what do you and other refs watch for? What will you allow that is borderline holding? Will you ever say something to a player ahead of time, warning him about his holding?

Will you speak to a player ahead of time when he is pushing the limit for some other infraction?

When asked respectfully by a player, will you explain why you threw a flag? (And by you, I mean anyone on your crew).

What is your standard for helping a player up off the ground. I have seen an official take a player's hand when there was a big pile and help him up. But it's usually been when the official was trying to get players up and out of the way.

Will you ever say anything complementary to a player during or after a game for either a play or a show of sportsmanship?

What are your thoughts on enforcing fouls behind the LOS from the spot in high school. I've always felt it was a bit unfair especially since the other levels go to the previous spot.

What are your thoughts on enforcing fouls behind the LOS from the spot in high school. I've always felt it was a bit unfair especially since the other levels go to the previous spot.

I'm not really a fan of previous spot enforcement. Here's one example of why.

1st & 10. QB A12 is scrambling 15 yards behind the LOS. B72 is bearing down on the QB, about to sack him when A60 holds him, allowing A12 to get rid of the ball.

Yes, A60 gets flagged for a 10 yard holding foul but he benefits from a foul because his team would have lost 15 yards with the sack, plus the down wouldn't be replayed. 1st & 20 is a much better option for Team A than 2nd & 25.

Also not a fan of the college and pro rule that doesn't penalize yardage for intentional grounding. They spot the ball at the spot of the foul. If a QB is under pressure, there's no motivation not to throw it away. He might get away with it but if he doesn't he's no worse off than if he had took the sack.

At least he loses another 5 yards in HS.

JMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT