ADVERTISEMENT

Dinwiddie 51, Petersburg 12

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
As expected, Dinwiddie dominated a weak Petersburg team, at Petersburg.

In the first half, I'm not sure Petersburg was ever in positive yards on offense.

Obviously, Petersburg was over matched, so you have to be careful about what conclusions you take away from a game like this.

The two things I saw that impressed me the most had nothing to do with the opponent.

First, our tackling techniques were the best I've seen us from us all year. This was an area that we had to improve upon to to be a legitimate contender. Makes no difference if you make a great defensive move if you let the ball carrier get away.

Secondly, aggressively following the ball. The "nose for the ball" deal. By far, the best I've seen us do all year. Just good heads up football all day.

Our run stopping continued to be very good, but we still tend to not guard the the edges as well as I would like to see.

Pass defense was pretty good, but still needs a little improvement. I would like to see more aggression going for the ball. But then if you miss the ball it might be off to the races. (This is one of the many reasons the coaches don't ask my opinion).

Players that I liked this week:

Junior, DaVon Clayton. One play in particular. The QB had broken contain and DaVon shed his blocker and made a fantastic tackle from behind for a loss on the play. He was aggressive all day and rock solid.

And a nod to senior, (and one of the team captains), Reggie Williams. All 5' 4" 135 LB's of him. Teams continue to throw at him, since he is an inviting target. Usually, not a smart choice. Trust me, we have a lot of bigger guys that can play the defensive backfield. Reggie is there because he is that good. If Reggie weighed about 50 lbs more, he would kill somebody. He hits like a locomotive now.

A shout out to our QB, Bryce Witt. He continues to play rock solid. He gets better with each game. Makes good choices and rarely hurts us with a bad decision. He did a great job running the ball yesterday. He is deceptively fast. He looks gangly running the ball but he is faster than he appears, and just goes downfield without a lot of cutting. Smart enough to go to the ground when that's what called for. And tough enough to take the hits and try for extra yardage.

Pope was his usual productive self. He is so good, that extrodinary has become his ordinary.

A real big challenge looms. We are home this Friday against a resurgent Meadowbrook team. It took the new coach about half the season to get everyone on the same page, but the are clicking on all cylinders now. There never was any question about the talent on that team, but the coaching turnovers this summer put them behind curve. But they have gotten it all together now. We need our A game for sure this week!

Last edited:
Reactions: mike salem

In the first half, I'm not sure Petersburg was ever in positive yards on offense.

Obviously, Petersburg was over matched, so you have to be careful about what conclusions you take away from a game like this.

The two thins I saw that impressed me the most had nothing to do with the opponent.

First, our tackling techniques were the best I've seen us from us all year. This was an area that we had to improve upon to to be a legitimate contender. Makes no difference if you make a great defensive move if you let the ball carrier get away.

Secondly, aggressively following the ball. The "nose for the ball" deal. By far, the best I've seen us do all year. Just good heads up football all day.

Our run stopping continued to be very good, but we still tend to not guard the the edges as well as I would like to see.

Pass defense was pretty good, but still needs a little improvement. I would like to see more aggression going for the ball. But then if you miss the ball it might be off to the races. (This is one of the many reasons the coaches don't ask my opinion).

Junior, DaVon Clayton. One play in particular. The QB had broken contain and DaVon shed his blocker and made a fantastic tackle from behind for a loss on the play. He was aggressive all day and rock solid.

And a nod to senior, (and one of the team captains), Reggie Williams. All 5' 4" 135 LB's of him. Teams continue to throw at him, since he is an inviting target. Usually, not a smart choice. Trust me, we have a lot of bigger guys that can play the defensive backfield. Reggie is there because he is that good. If Reggie weighed about 50 lbs more, he would kill somebody. He hits like a locomotive now.

A shout out to our QB, Bryce Witt. He continues to play rock solid. He gets better with each game. Makes good choices and rarely hurts us with a bad decision. He did a great job running the ball yesterday. He is deceptively fast. He looks gangly running the ball but he is faster than he appears, and just goes downfield without a lot of cutting. Smart enough to go to the ground when that's what called for. And tough enough to take the hits and try for extra yardage.

Pope was his usual productive self. He is so good, that extrodinary has become his ordinary.

A real big challenge looms. We are home this Friday against a resurgent Meadowbrook team. It took the new coach about half the season to get everyone on the same page, but the are clicking on all cylinders now. There never was any question about the talent on that team, but the coaching turnovers this summer put them behind curve. But they have gotten it all together now. We need our A game for sure this week!
We have a player that reminds me of your Reggie Williams. B. Moushegian is 5'6" 150, a Sr captain, will put you to bed early with his big hits. He's a backup LB that loves to hit. He's also the long snapper.

I'll tell you something else about Reggie. He has a smile that lights up a room. In fact, the only time I've ever seen him not smiling is in his profile picture on Maxpreps.

It must be maddening to get tackled hard and look up and there stands little Reggie with that ear to ear smile.

The two thins I saw that impressed me the most had nothing to do with the opponent.

DP, I agree with your analysis; however, I think the Generals must do a better job run blocking. We continue to struggle getting a hat on the linebackers. When we do its off to the races.
Yes, Bryce (qb) was almost perfect. He made three very difficult throws look easy. He couldnt have thrown the 25 yard corner post any better. No one could defend those throws. #3 Freeland is such a weapon, but he continues to drop way too many passes.

The play calling was spot on and yes the defense did tackle very well. My concerns were our failure to pick up the slant and the ends crashing down too quickly. We have got to protect the edge. Thought the linebacker play was spot on.

Petersburg has speed and talent. I think their play calling or system fails to use their strengths. Not sure why they try to pound the ball when they cause havoc with the read option. Their qb has a strong arm and fleet receivers. He just does not have time to operate. I would roll him out.

Should be a good one next week. Always is a war with Meadowbrook. Win or lose we cannot get caught up in the trash talking and dirty play we often see. Don't want anyone suspended for the playoffs. Tiller has the Monarchs rolling and their four losses are to very good teams (Hermitage, Bird, Highland Springs and Hopewell). I think those teams have three losses combined.

If the Generals play well defensively they will win. This game surely will prepare us for the playoffs.

I agree with you guys. Three players that stuck out to me on defense was #15 Clayton, #5 Fields, #1 Jones. We need those DE to play like that every week. Jones have been a ball hawk as of late with at least 3 or 4 int's in the last 3 games.

Two questions for you guys do anyone have the offensive stats from yesterday and what do you know about that kid on jv #35? Thats a big kid with room to grow.

I agree with you guys. Three players that stuck out to me on defense was #15 Clayton, #5 Fields, #1 Jones. We need those DE to play like that every week. Jones have been a ball hawk as of late with at least 3 or 4 int's in the last 3 games.

Two questions for you guys do anyone have the offensive stats from yesterday and what do you know about that kid on jv #35? Thats a big kid with room to grow.

Don't have total stats, but will give you a few individuals:

Witt 11-15-177 4 td's passing 1 rushing
Lyons 3 carries 95 yards 1 TD
Cooper 8 carries 75 yards
Pope 2 catches 92 yards
Wilson 3 catches 68 td
Freeland 2 td's
Clayton 7 tackles 5 for loss 2 sacks
Defense had 8 sacks, two ints. Three fumbles.
Petersburg qb passed for 134
Running back 14 carries for 22 yards
Best I could do based on article from PI.

#35 is Valente Johnson. Freshman. Was home schooled in Dinwiddie until this year. He is going to be very good. Had a sack and three hurries in mop up duty. Had a sack last week as well.

#35's first game for us was the JV game against Hopewell I believe? Correct me on that Navy. Hopewell's JV was horrible, but #35 was a beast. You didn't need good competition to know he might be something special. His size speaks for itself. I think Jeff told me 6'3 around 240? But for a kid that didn't come through Middle School football, he just seems to have that innate football mentality. He his big, but he appears to have better than average reaction speed. Him being in a varsity game so early in his football career tells you the Coaches recognize some serious potential.

I hope we never HAVE to have the catch and #3 is in the game. He is a darn good player, but he is subject to dropping the ball on every pass play. I think he feels the pressure of the importance of a certain catch. Thinking back, it seems like when we need a first down, or we need a touchdown to get ahead, or to comeback from a deficit, that's when he drops them most often. And when there is a breakdown in coverage, and he is wide open, man you just hold your breath and pray.

Yeah, why did we have so much trouble defending the slant? The first couple I wrote off because they kept trying to run the ball, so I figured we were focused on that. They must have thrown 10 or more slants in the second half, and should have completed Three or four more than they did. The receiver was open and the ball was catchable. A couple were simply "footsteps" behind them caused them to short arm the catch. If you hit me as hard as some of their guys got hit, my butt would have on the bus waiting for the game to end!

Cecil Parham tackled one kid so hard and clean, I honestly feared the boy would not get up.

Again, my hats off to both teams, and especially Pertersburg. Both sides played hard, and Petersburg took a good old fashion butt whipping, and had every reason to be frustrated. I never saw anything more than the usual shove here and there.

Gen, I agree, #15 looked like a college or professional out there. He would shed is block and watch to see where the play was going. Then he played contain or aggressively went after the ball carrier. He was just a beast.

What was Pope thinking when he turned and swatted that guy away on that long reception? Why not keep going, or make a quick cut back inside. I thought that was a dumb move.

But, you know something? It sure is a lot more fun analyzing a win rather than a loss.:D:D:D

Reactions: gen4ever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT