ADVERTISEMENT

Dinwiddie Generals News

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
Peety Pope (qb) visited GA Tech two weeks ago and Jacob Edwards (OT/DT) and Pope visited JMU last week.

Edwards set a Dinwiddie bench press record at the Lift-A-Thon with 380 pounds. His total in the clean, squat, and bench press was 1,130 pounds.

Pope set mutiple quarterback lifting records with 385 pound squat, 275 clean, and 315 bench for a total of 975 pounds. This kid is working his butt off!

Now on to some exciting news for Preps fans. On August 11, 2018, Dinwiddie and Lord Botetourt will scrimmage EC Glass @ Glass. This will be a good one.

On August 17, 2018, Dinwiddie and LC Bird will scrimmage Henrico @ Henrico. Always enjoy playing these two very good Class 5 teams.

See you Lynchburg folks in August. Look forward to meeting some of the Seminole faithful.

Peety Pope (qb) visited GA Tech two weeks ago and Jacob Edwards (OT/DT) and Pope visited JMU last week.

Edwards set a Dinwiddie bench press record at the Lift-A-Thon with 380 pounds. His total in the clean, squat, and bench press was 1,130 pounds.

Pope set mutiple quarterback lifting records with 385 pound squat, 275 clean, and 315 bench for a total of 975 pounds. This kid is working his butt off!

Now on to some exciting news for Preps fans. On August 11, 2018, Dinwiddie and Lord Botetourt will scrimmage EC Glass @ Glass. This will be a good one.

On August 17, 2018, Dinwiddie and LC Bird will scrimmage Henrico @ Henrico. Always enjoy playing these two very good Class 5 teams.

See you Lynchburg folks in August. Look forward to meeting some of the Seminole faithful.

Exciting scrimmage news! Glad Glass picked up some better scrimmage opponents! I’ll be there if I’m not busy. Seems like everyone wants to get married in August this year!

That scrimmage on the 11th will be very very very good in Lynchburg! To comment on Pope, I saw some of his lifting footage on Twitter and kid is a freak athlete! Closest thing I’ve ever seen to Tyrod Taylor on the football field. I expect a big year out of Petey throwing the football to Cla’trey Reese,who proved he’s big time as he had quite of few 30+ point basketball games! Very nice looking athlete. We debate on who’s the best QB in 4a west but Petey has solidified himself as the best in the east!

Navy, how will 2018 Dinwiddie stack up against the 2016 and 2017 teams? Won’t have Big Pope, J Tyree, Sturdivant, Blake W., Todd or big Omar Tyson but Dinwiddie has proven to be a system like Salem..Just reload every year. They will have a nice core of Tyler Hawkins, Reese and Pope to go along with the young boys. What can we expect in 2018?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Honestly, I think we will be okay, but will have to play our best to beat Salem, and Thomas Dale. We lost a lot in the front seven, but our DL is not a bad off as I suspected. The linebacker situation could hurt us with the lack of experience. With a new defensive coordinator we may have a new look, so we shall see.

Even with our losses we will be very good on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe even better than last season. Our O line is progressing nicely and with the maturation of our young receivers we should be able to put up the points.

I am not sure if we are capable of making a deep run in the playoffs this year, but Coach Mills always "finds a way"! Special teams losses could hurt us some as well. 8-2 regular season would make me very happy!

Yeah, Mike and Vols I was fully aware of the site. Who could forget the place. My dad and I have discussed playing Glass numerous times. He played Glass in the late 50's and I played them in the early 80's. Based on our comparrisons it was not a fun place to visit. Dad said the fans rocked their bus so hard they thought it was going to tip over. Same when he was coaching in the 70's. Sure the fans arent thay hyped now. Scary memories, but good ones.

Yeah, Mike and Vols I was fully aware of the site. Who could forget the place. My dad and I have discussed playing Glass numerous times. He played Glass in the late 50's and I played them in the early 80's. Based on our comparrisons it was not a fun place to visit. Dad said the fans rocked their bus so hard they thought it was going to tip over. Same when he was coaching in the 70's. Sure the fans arent thay hyped now. Scary memories, but good ones.
Unfortunately, I can assure you that's not the case nowadays. The Big Blue faithful are great fans but not rocking the visiting team's bus. It will definitely be a fun, intense, and competitive scrimmage against three really good teams.

I'm thinking Botetourt will be down a little this year. This really doesn't mean a whole lot at a scrimmage, but just though I would add that speculation.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Peety has matured, and has worked as hard as he can to improve. He set his goals to be a college QB. Not just a college player, but a QB. He has the grades, the dedication, the work ethic, and most importantly, the heart of a champion. I'm convinced we will see him slinging it on Saturday's, and on TV to boot.

Another kid we will most likely see on TV on Saturdays..., Todd Anspach is an invited walk on a VT. He is the complete package. Grades are not an issue, willpower, work ethic, and time management are three of his strong suits. Not only is Todd a coaches dream, he has plenty of upside potential left. The only thing that worries me is if his mom can survive four seasons if they include very many clutch kicks. The poor lady was a total nervous wreck watching him at Dinwiddie. And I'll add this. Todd, and his parents and sister are absolutely the nicest, kindest, most wonderful people you will ever meet in your life.

Winning is the desert. Helping kids develope into great citizens is the main course. Coach Mills and his staff continue serving up gourmet meals. Thank you Coach and staff.

I have received some good reports regarding the vast improvement the offensive line has been making both in the weight room and drills. This was a major concern for Dinwiddie fans going into the offseason, so its very welcome news. Still haven't heard much buzz about who will be stepping in to fill the three vacant linebacker positions. Dalton and Norman seem to be the two leading candidates to start at the Mike. Dalton is also the power running back/fullback, so he may be playing both ways.

I went to watch Bleeding Navy call a softball game last night. I walked up behind the backstop to where one of his off duty umpiring buddies was standing. I asked his buddy why they had Ray Charles behind the plate tonight. He said because Helen Keller wasn't available!!!

(Actually, Navy calls an excellent game, but don't tell him I said that!)

I may have missed it in another post but, didn't the D coordinator from last year take the HC job at Grafton? If so, any word on his replacement?

Yes the defensive coordinator did leave, but Coach Davis was in the press box as the associate head coach. He was our defensive coordinator for many years including the 2103 championship season. Coach Davis left for three years to become the head coach at Deep Run. Coach Mills has worked with Coach Davis for many years and they seem to gel, so I expect Davis will once again assume the role as defensive coordinator.

Reactions: VolNation85
Sweep? I have a mini dirt devil in one of my ball bags. I may be old, but I appreciate technology.

With the exception of having difficulty focussing due to the death of a fellow umpire it was a fun game for the most part. In the 4th inning the Deep Run pitcher took a line drive to the chest. The thump was so loud it gave me chills and made nauseous. Once the play was over I called time and knelt down and prayed. Did receive word on Wednesday that the pitcher from did not have any significant injury.

City stadium had small dressing rooms in the 70’s.
Victory Stadium in Roanoke also had small locker rooms. Some of the players had to stand outside and listen through the door.

The worst locker room I ever encountered was Grundy. They had 2 by 4's mounted on the wall with nails for hangers. The showers were cold and they threw coal at us from a pile just beyond the end zone. It was just a jv game.

I would bet Navy is a fine umpire behind the plate. But can he bend over far enough to sweep the plate off?
Did you know that Navy holds two VHSL records?

He is the first umpire in VHSL history to use a Hurrycane while on the field.

And, he is the only VHSL umpire to be permitted to take his seeing eye dog on the field with him during a game. (He stopped carrying him with him behind the plate. He was embarrassed when the dog kept correcting his calls.)

Reactions: mike salem
Wow Mike thats an extremely derogative statement; however, for facts sake he is old enough to be my grandad if not grest grandad.

Reactions: mike salem
Victory Stadium in Roanoke also had small locker rooms. Some of the players had to stand outside and listen through the door.

The worst locker room I ever encountered was Grundy. They had 2 by 4's mounted on the wall with nails for hangers. The showers were cold and they threw coal at us from a pile just beyond the end zone. It was just a jv game.
It was hard to believe Tech and VMI could dress in Victory Stadium. Mill Mountain looked awesome behind the hospital.on a cool fall night. Navy, ever play at Franklin County?

Yes sir. Played baseball there too wrestled in front of the entire student body in 1983. I like Franklin County and wanted to live there when I was younger. Spent a lot of Friday nights at the speedway. I actually grew up on the backside of Mill Mountain. Know every firetrail and spring on the darn thing.

I'm thinking Botetourt will be down a little this year. This really doesn't mean a whole lot at a scrimmage, but just though I would add that speculation.
Botetourt has been more consistent and a tough team since Jaimie Harless took over in 2012. They have an offensive lineman who has signed with Vt and a running back who, as a upcoming sophomore has started to go to camps and getting looks. Harless record at LB and playoffs.

12 6-5
13 10-2 won Stuarts Draft 59-10, lost Hidden Valley 14-21
14 7-4 lost 13-37 Western Albermarle
15 13-2 won Liberty 52-14, won Monticello 17-7, won Abingdon 39-28, won Hopewell 28-17, lost in State 21-47 to Magna Vista
16 8-3 lost Blacksburg 34-56
17 10-3 won 51-7 Tunstall, won 42-14 Magna Vista, lost Staunton river 31-49

They do return Jesse Hanson on OL who has committed to VT 6-5 296 and sophomore running back Rice who is 6-0 205.

Botetourt has been more consistent and a tough team since Jaimie Harless took over in 2012. They have an offensive lineman who has signed with Vt and a running back who, as a upcoming sophomore has started to go to camps and getting looks. Harless record at LB and playoffs.

12 6-5
13 10-2 won Stuarts Draft 59-10, lost Hidden Valley 14-21
14 7-4 lost 13-37 Western Albermarle
15 13-2 won Liberty 52-14, won Monticello 17-7, won Abingdon 39-28, won Hopewell 28-17, lost in State 21-47 to Magna Vista
16 8-3 lost Blacksburg 34-56
17 10-3 won 51-7 Tunstall, won 42-14 Magna Vista, lost Staunton river 31-49

They do return Jesse Hanson on OL who has committed to VT 6-5 296 and sophomore running back Rice who is 6-0 205.

I'll withdraw my previous statement that LB might be down a bit this season. To the contrary, new information offered to me have convinced me that this could be one of the best LB teams ever.

Dinwiddie is looking for two games for the next cycle. The two dates that are needed to be filled are Aug 30 and Sept 6, (2016).

Please be sure your coaches/AD's are aware. Thank you.

Dinwiddie's AD can be reached through the Dinwiddie County High School web site.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Dinwiddie is happy to announce that a two year agreement has been reached to play football with G W Danville. The first game will be Aug 30, 2019, at Dinwiddie, with the game being held at GW the following year.

This should be an exciting series, as both teams are always loaded with explosive playmakers.

A special thank you to the AD's and Head Coaches at both schools for working this out.

HSHS played 7v7 last weekend against Henrico, Varina, Godwin and Armstrong. HS won all of the games...... what was interesting is, of the 4 other teams, the most impressive was Armstrong! They played us! Good qb, nice speed, etc. The other 3 couldn't hang with us!
Bleeding Navy, I'm glad you are doing better! I know what you have been through! Looking forward to seeing you again. I chatted up DP about Aug. 4th... HS scrimmages North Stafford @ 10am at Randolph Macon College. If you aren't busy, come on up and see what the Wolverines look like against the Springers!
I know your Generals have them on your schedule this year!

Last edited:
HSHS played 7v7 last weekend against Henrico, Varina, Godwin and Armstrong. HS won all of the games...... what was interesting is, of the 4 other teams, the most impressive was Armstrong! They played us! Good qb, nice speed, etc. The other 3 couldn't hang with us!
Bleeding Navy, I'm glad you are doing better! I know what you have been through! Looking forward to seeing you again. I chatted up DP about Aug. 4th... HS scrimmages North Stafford @ 10am at Randolph Macon College. If you aren't busy, come on up and see what the Wolverines look like against the Springers!
I know your Generals have them on your schedule this year!
HS beat a Varina team comprised of JV players and freshmen who are on the cusp of playing varsity next year (or dress out at least). So Springs didn’t play the Varina varsity team. Varina should be a top 3 team in the region this season.

I know this is a fall site, but I had to get this inormation out and ask if any other district has accomplished this feat in any sport since realignment. Quite impressive to me.

The Central District has four different baseball teams (Thomas Dale -6, Prince George -5, Dinwiddie -4, and Hopewell -3) in four different classes qualify for the State playoffs. In softball we have 3 (Thomas Dale -6, Prince George- 5, Dinwiddie -4).

Did you know that Navy holds two VHSL records?

He is the first umpire in VHSL history to use a Hurrycane while on the field.

And, he is the only VHSL umpire to be permitted to take his seeing eye dog on the field with him during a game. (He stopped carrying him with him behind the plate. He was embarrassed when the dog kept correcting his calls.)
I heard Navy had to quit skydiving because it scared the heck out of his seeing eye dog.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT