ADVERTISEMENT

Dinwiddie @ Prince George Preview

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
Dinwiddie (Class 4) @ Prince George (Class 5) Preview

September 21, 2017

Records:

Prince George Royals - 2-1 (Overall), 0-0 (Central District), Opponents combined records- 4-7

Dinwiddie Generals - 3-0 (Overall), 0-0 (Central District), Opponents combined records- 4-7

History:

These teams have played 18 times since 1999 and Dinwiddie has won 14 of those contest and 11 straight. The Royals last victory over the Generals occurred in 2005. During the Generals 11 game winning streak over the royals the average margin of victory is 36 points.

Although the records don’t indicate it this rivalry can get very heated as the two counties border one another and tri-city pride is at stake.

Teams:

Prince George has shown some improvement this season and have wins over Clover Hill and John Marshall. The Royals sole loss was to J. R. Tucker (27-24). Prince George is averaging 33 points a game and while holding opponents to 23 point per game.

Offensively, the Royals like to keep the ball on the ground and have amassed 932 (310 yards per game) on the ground and average combined 377 yards per game. E. Walker, quarterback is 18/46 216 yards with 1 td and 2 ints. Passing and has is 18 carries for 117 yards rushing with 1 td. L. Allen is the Royals and Metro Richmond’s leading rusher (85 carries, 648 yards, and 3 tds.) averaging 216 yards per game. Other Prince George offensive weapons include M. Canty, 18 rushes for 105 yards and a td and C. Skipper, 19 carries for 137 yards and 2 td’s.

Defensively, the Royals are allowing 230 yards per game on the ground and 142 yards per game in the air (372 total yards per game). They have forced 3 turnovers (3 fumbles) and recorded 4 sacks. Defensive standouts include J Kennedy (10 tackles), S. Rose (11 tackles) and A. Hunter 9 tackles).

The Prince George special teams play has been shaky at best and appears to be their biggest weaknesses.

Dinwiddie has won all three of its games this season with the latest being a 25-20 hard fought victory over the Class 4 defending state champion Salem Spartans. The other two victories came over Denbigh and Smithfield. They are averaging 51 points a game and giving up 19 points a game.

Led by Zyan Sturdivant (56 carries, 340 yards and 6 touchdowns) the Dinwiddie offense continues to eat up yardage on the ground and is averaging 266 yards per game. K’ymon Pope, quarterback has matured quickly as a starter. He is 27/48 for 388 yards passing, with 3 td’s and 2 ints. Pope has also ran the ball 32 times for 260 yards and 3 tds. Dinwiddie is 396 yards of offensive per game. Other offensive players to watch are J. Williams, 10 catches for 131 yards and 1 td, Joseph Tyree 9 rushes for 87 yards and 2 tds.

Although the Dinwiddie defense has played without its leader (K'Vaughan Pope) this very young group has gotten better every week. The Generals have recorded 6 sacks, 4 ints. and recovered 6 fumbles. Their pass defense is giving up 181 yards per game and the rush defense is giving up 123 yards per game for a total yards per game average of 304. Defensive standouts include C. Reese (16 tackles), J. Williams (19 tackles), J. Tyree (16 tackles) and D. Wilson (14 tackles).

The Dinwiddie special teams have been phenomenal this season. J. Williams has returned 2 kickoffs for touchdowns and is averaging 22 yards per punt return. Todd Anspach is averaging 36 yards per punt and has ten touchbacks on kickoffs. Anspach is 16/16 on PAT’s and is 3 of 4 on field goals.

The Skinny:

Prince George will look to break their 11 game losing streak to the Generals by pounding the ball to Allen. He is a very strong and capable runner. The Royals have yet to face a defense with the quickness and linebacker play of Dinwiddie, so they may have to leave their comfort zone and throw the ball to have success. Dinwiddie will try to do the same to a Royals team who is allowing 250 yards a game rushing to its opponents. This stat alone does not bode well for the improved Royals as I expect Sturdivant, Tyree and Pope to have a huge day on the ground.

Will this be the year the Royals go home happy or will the Generals keep the streak alive? Something tells me the Royals will have to wait for another year. The Generals win this one by a score of 35-7.

Last edited:
Who is T. Williams with 10 catches on offense? Is that the kid we had flown in from Florida to bolster the offense?

The PG QB does have some decent escapability and can extend plays. I think they are improved but still won't fair well against a team of Dinwiddie's caliber. Maybe Dinwiddie will have a slight hangover from the big salem win and be rusty from a week off, and maybe even looking forward to the big showdown with TD next week.

Knowing coach Mills I am sure this is not the case... but even if it was... I still don't think it would be enough. Staying in the game long enough to make this a contest in the 2nd half would be an accomplishment.

What can I say DP. Typing with one hand isn't so easy. What am I to do ask my secretary to type my preps post. lol....I hope you guys are right about this one. I don't think Prince George will beat us or even keep it close, but stranger things have happened. What the heck I am I doing? I am tired of being nice and respectful. This one is for you Wahoogen! Country Boyz by 45.

What can I say DP. Typing with one hand isn't so easy. What am I to do ask my secretary to type my preps post. lol....I hope you guys are right about this one. I don't think Prince George will beat us or even keep it close, but stranger things have happened. What the heck I am I doing? I am tired of being nice and respectful. This one is for you Wahoogen! Country Boyz by 45.

LOL About time!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT