ADVERTISEMENT

Dinwiddie vs Monacan

mbonape1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2015
Was a good game. Not a great deal of separation between those two teams as I expected and believe this to be true throughout class 4, especially in region B. Looking at the EV and Louisa game I think there is more proof. It was a beautiful night for football played at a great venue Huguenot High school on turf. Always a pleasure to see @DinwiddieProud and @BleedingNavy.

I am ok with this loss but it definitely hurts. I had said if Pope beats us throwing the ball then God bless him. I just didn't want him running for TD's. We did a good job there. He did beat us throwing the ball though. It is hard to cover receivers for 10 seconds as he just keeps extending the plays scrambling around. Dinwiddie would almost even be better served to just operate this way in general moving forward.

Monacan again (like almost every game this year) had a 3 score lead after one quarter and squandered it. Again, we almost punted it backwards twice in our own territory. I believe we had two punts in a row that netted less than 10 yards combined. We again went for it on 4th and 4 from our own 32 yrd line with a QB draw to the weak side of the field and were stopped. We had numerous times to stop Dinwiddie's offense on 4th down and failed to do so. Throughout this game we again got hit with the injury bug. 2nd or 3rd play from scrimmage Taylor Green goes down... injury to Arturo Mendoza allowed us to only use him as an "allen wrench" here and there and add an injury to Teon Powell. These players just happen to be our top 3 wideouts and our defensive backfield. Not a good recipe for beating a Pope lead Dinwiddie squad who finds their passing rhythm. The play of the game was Peety fighting for extra yards on a 4th and 3 or 4. The Monacan side thought we had stopped him short and we would have took over on downs... To then realize that not only did they give Dinwiddie the first down... but Stone Snyder lay motionless on the field for several minutes... Another unfortunate happenstance for the Chiefs.

We went a drive or two without him on offense and didn't accomplish much. We taped him up and tried to throw him back out there but he was a shell of himself after becoming hobbled and not able to move in the pocket or step into his throws. We battled though, so much to be proud of but fell short. We even had a final opportunity and were driving near midfield 4th quarter with 2:30 or so left on the clock. Complete a pass in the flat for good yardage and what do you know... FUMBLE... with a Dinwiddie defender "Jonny on the spot" falls on the ball to seal the General's victory.

Many of you have probably heard me say this... this year, and in previous years on this board... "Dinwiddie is a more disciplined and consistent Monacan. Unfortunately I was right again. Good luck to Navy Nation as they attempt to navigate their path to a State Championship. The Monacan family will be rooting for you...Go get that ring!

Was a good game. Not a great deal of separation between those two teams as I expected and believe this to be true throughout class 4, especially in region B. Looking at the EV and Louisa game I think there is more proof. It was a beautiful night for football played at a great venue Huguenot High school on turf. Always a pleasure to see @DinwiddieProud and @BleedingNavy.

I am ok with this loss but it definitely hurts. I had said if Pope beats us throwing the ball then God bless him. I just didn't want him running for TD's. We did a good job there. He did beat us throwing the ball though. It is hard to cover receivers for 10 seconds as he just keeps extending the plays scrambling around. Dinwiddie would almost even be better served to just operate this way in general moving forward.

Monacan again (like almost every game this year) had a 3 score lead after one quarter and squandered it. Again, we almost punted it backwards twice in our own territory. I believe we had two punts in a row that netted less than 10 yards combined. We again went for it on 4th and 4 from our own 32 yrd line with a QB draw to the weak side of the field and were stopped. We had numerous times to stop Dinwiddie's offense on 4th down and failed to do so. Throughout this game we again got hit with the injury bug. 2nd or 3rd play from scrimmage Taylor Green goes down... injury to Arturo Mendoza allowed us to only use him as an "allen wrench" here and there and add an injury to Teon Powell. These players just happen to be our top 3 wideouts and our defensive backfield. Not a good recipe for beating a Pope lead Dinwiddie squad who finds their passing rhythm. The play of the game was Peety fighting for extra yards on a 4th and 3 or 4. The Monacan side thought we had stopped him short and we would have took over on downs... To then realize that not only did they give Dinwiddie the first down... but Stone Snyder lay motionless on the field for several minutes... Another unfortunate happenstance for the Chiefs.

We went a drive or two without him on offense and didn't accomplish much. We taped him up and tried to throw him back out there but he was a shell of himself after becoming hobbled and not able to move in the pocket or step into his throws. We battled though, so much to be proud of but fell short. We even had a final opportunity and were driving near midfield 4th quarter with 2:30 or so left on the clock. Complete a pass in the flat for good yardage and what do you know... FUMBLE... with a Dinwiddie defender "Jonny on the spot" falls on the ball to seal the General's victory.

Many of you have probably heard me say this... this year, and in previous years on this board... "Dinwiddie is a more disciplined and consistent Monacan. Unfortunately I was right again. Good luck to Navy Nation as they attempt to navigate their path to a State Championship. The Monacan family will be rooting for you...Go get that ring!

I could not believe the decision to go for it on 4th & 4.... Very strange not to punt there but I guess they felt they could not stop Dinwiddie. I agree with all your points, the punts were horrible, the injury bug came at the wrong time and Pope's ability to buy time with his feet was a blessing to the Generals.

Good season for the Chiefs nonetheless.

It's really sad that when Navy and I get the chance to enjoy the company of our good friend mbonape1 from Monacan, that inevitably either he, or Navy and I, get to go home with the loss. But, that's ultimately why they play the game.

One thing that all of us did equally enjoy, was a great meal at Joe's Inn in Bonair. We highly recommend this restaurant.

We also got to spend a little time with Virginia Preps very own Danny Lewis. It's always a pleasure Danny and I wish we had more opportunity to get together in person.

A tip of the hat to the Huguenot AD and administration for working with Monacan to make their facility available for this game. It provided the opportunity for these two teams to wage war on a dry, mudless field. Well done, both Huguenot and Monacan, we thank you.

Most importantly, thank you to the kids that play the game that we all love so much. I hope we never forget that the game is for the kids and by the kids, and the rest of us are just along for the ride.

Monacan may not have won this game, but they certainly did not lose. The Chiefs played hard and fair, and never quit. The Monacan community has a lot to be proud of.

And finally, indulge me while I tell you how proud I am of the Dinwiddie Generals. In the first half, it looked pretty bleak. Just like it looked in the first half against Courtland. But, the quiet, confident attitude of "find a way" that is instilled by Coach Mills and his staff, along with the leadership of Peety Pope and his senior teammates, was the difference. While we in the stands were beginning to have our doubts, that very special group of young men of the field never doubted that they would prevail.

I'm so very proud to be along for this ride. Thank you players and coaches.

@DinwiddieProud, have to agree with you regarding the fellowship. I thoroughly enjoy talking "football" with @mbonape1 and @CRF4Dan. I normally don't even think about how other fans feel, but as the game was winding down I couldn't help, but think about the frustration @mbonape1 must felt.

Dinwiddie opened the scoring with a fg then Monacan piled up 19 points. Yes, DP some people did doubt our team and were discussing "stoking up their own fireplace next Friday", but just like last week the boys dug in its talons and clawed back one play at a time.

Unlike some discussions regarding games on preps, weather nor the officials were a factor. Just two consistently sound teams pounding on each other.

Yes, injuries played a role. Both Snyder and Pope suffered ankle sprains and played through it. Snyders injury surely hampered Monacan, but the defensive and offensive adjustments made by Coach Mills in the second half didnt hurt.

Pope with a fractured thumb (hurt in hopewell game) played his tail off. In the last two weeks he has thrown for 4 tds and ran for 5 tds.

I am very proud of this young Dinwiddie team who I for one thought had no chance to play for a region championship. For that I thank Coach Mills and a group of kids who refuse to accept their deficits.

@racindan4u, said in another post that EV and Louisa should not have met this week which in my opinion is a slap in the face to Monacan and Dinwiddie. I knew it was coming, so although I could rehash why it happened, I will stay positive. I am very proud of Class 4 Region B. We have unbelievable teams and talent. To name a few, Hunter and Smith (Louisa), Lowry and Holmes (EV), Pope (Dinwiddie) and Snyder (Monacan) are some of the best in Class 4 if not the entire state. A shout out to Louisa and Monacan for playing your butts off this year. Great job!

This coming Friday EV will play for its first region title while Dinwiddie will be playing in a region final for the 4th time since realignment. Will EV win its first title or will Dinwiddie shock the world and represent region b for in the state semis for the 3rd time in six years. Best of luck to both teams.

Last edited:
@DinwiddieProud, have to agree with you regarding the fellowship. I thoroughly enjoy talking "football" with @mbonape1 and @CRF4Dan. I normally don't even think about how other fans feel, but as the game was winding down I couldn't help, but think about the frustration @mbonape1 must felt.

Dinwiddie opened the scoring with a fg then Monacan piled up 19 points. Yes, DP some people did doubt our team and were discussing "stoking up their own fireplace next Friday", but just like last week the boys dug in its talons and clawed back one play at a time.

Unlike some discussions regarding games on preps, weather nor the officials were a factor. Just two consistently sound teams pounding on each other.

Yes, injuries played a role. Both Snyder and Pope suffered ankle sprains and played through it. Snyders injury surely hampered Monacan, but the defensive and offensive adjustments made by Coach Mills in the second half didnt hurt.

Pope with a fractured thumb (hurt in hopewell game) played his tail off. In the last two weeks he has thrown for 4 tds and ran for 5 tds.

I am very proud of this young Dinwiddie team who I for one thought had no chance to play for a region championship. For that I thank Coach Mills and a group of kids who refuse to accept their deficits.

@racindan4u, said in another post that EV and Louisa should not have met this week which in my opinion is a slap in the face to Monacan and Dinwiddie. I knew it was coming, so although I could rehash why it happened, I will stay positive. I am very proud of Class 4 Region B. We have unbelievable teams and talent. To name a few, Hunter and Smith (Louisa), Lowry and Holmes (EV), Pope (Dinwiddie) and Snyder (Monacan) are some of the best in Class 4 if not the entire state. A shout out to Louisa and Monacan for playing your butts off this year. Great job!

This coming Friday EV will play for its first region title while Dinwiddie will be playing in a region final for the 4th time since realignment. Will EV win its first title or will Dinwiddie shock the world and represent region b for in the state semis for the 3rd time in six years. Best of luck to both teams.
Not so fast my friend. Shock the world? Not hardly....Dinwiddie is rated higher and beat EV last time so they are the clear favorite. No underdogs role for you because of racindan4u’s youth and inexperience;). EV has played in a couple regional finals but have never won. They will have to be at their best to be successful this time.

Reactions: OCBoy and mbonape1
@86CulpGrad, absolutely we get to play the victims role this time. Dinwiddie virtually lost almost everybody from last year and admittedly are not as talented. EV lost D. Hunter and is way better than last season. You guys have said so all year. Last week was as advertisd the "game of the century" "epic region b battle". All the while somewhere in parts unknown two misfits played a meaningless regional semi final with Dinwiddie upsetting Monacan. Correct me if I am wrong, but please review your own quotes. "How can Dinwiddie be as good after losing Pope who was everywhere"?

Honestly, EV is better and more experienced, but that really doesnt mean anything, because so was Monacan. I just hope our young bucks dont fall behind early this game, because we may not be able to match up.

Mad respect for Hatfield and the Cyclones. Not being a jerk, but when has EV ever played for a region title? I researched it before I posted above. A third round loss to Lafayette in 2016 is the closest they have ever come. Dinwiddie beat Lafayette in the final (region) that year in a brutal game and represented the East.

Last edited:
@86CulpGrad, absolutely we get to play the victims role this time. Dinwiddie virtually lost almost everybody from last year and admittedly are not as talented. EV lost D. Hunter and is way better than last season. You guys have said so all year. Last week was as advertisd the "game of the century" "epic region b battle". All the while somewhere in parts unknown two misfits played a meaningless regional semi final with Dinwiddie upsetting Monacan. Correct me if I am wrong, but please review your own quotes. "How can Dinwiddie be as good after losing Pope who was everywhere"?

Honestly, EV is better and more experienced, but that really doesnt mean anything, because so was Monacan. I just hope our young bucks dont fall behind early this game, because we may not be able to match up.

Mad respect for Hatfield and the Cyclones. Not being a jerk, but when has EV ever played for a region title? I researched it before I posted above. A third round loss to Lafayette in 2016 is the closest they have ever come. Dinwiddie beat Lafayette in the final (region) that year in a brutal game and represented the East.
EV lost to Courtland in the region championship the same year they upset Powhatan. I don’t recall any other times. I’m pretty sure it was in 2010

Bleeding(heart)navy ;), yes EV lost Hunter who was all region at 5 positions, and 2 other all region/state secondary guys. It doesn’t really matter what we dummies say on here, the VHSL says Dinwiddie is better. If coach wants to decline that ranking, EV will be happy to host the game Friday night :)

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Lol @86CulpGrad, Im certainly not a bleeding heart, but I like your wit. Obviously the VHSL rankings don't mean Dinwiddie is better than EV as you and other fans have been arguing for two days who was better between #4 EV and #1 Louisa. Its a freaking formula. Lol

Lets get real and just admit the facts. Most of the season EV was projected by posters to be the best in 4b this year; however, the Cyclones schedule has them taking on the role of road warrior once again. Heck no, they arent the 4th best team in 4b. EV could be one of the top 4 teams in Class 4 period.

Not going to let you knuckle heads play the victims again this year. If (big if) the Cyclones lose this Friday please point the finger at your athletic director Dr. Kevorkian and understand that a very talented group undervachieved.

Watch Billy Mills post game interviews he clearly lets everyone know (from day one) how the young Generals have overvachieved. I for one hope they keep rolling, but if not I will go to bed on Friday night pleased with our boys effort.

Lol @86CulpGrad, Im certainly not a bleeding heart, but I like your wit. Obviously the VHSL rankings don't mean Dinwiddie is better than EV as you and other fans have been arguing for two days who was better between #4 EV and #1 Louisa. Its a freaking formula. Lol

Lets get real and just admit the facts. Most of the season EV was projected by posters to be the best in 4b this year; however, the Cyclones schedule has them taking on the role of road warrior once again. Heck no, they arent the 4th best team in 4b. EV could be one of the top 4 teams in Class 4 period.

Not going to let you knuckle heads play the victims again this year. If (big if) the Cyclones lose this Friday please point the finger at your athletic director Dr. Kevorkian and understand that a very talented group undervachieved.

Watch Billy Mills post game interviews he clearly lets everyone know (from day one) how the young Generals have overvachieved. I for one hope they keep rolling, but if not I will go to bed on Friday night pleased with our boys effort.
Haha. I’m looking forward to another great game....either team can win. Is there a rumor the game is gonna be on Saturday?

@86CulpGrad, I have not heard of any such rumor/plan and since I am part of the gameday staff I am 100% sure I would have been given a heads up.

Right now we are evaluating the sod daily to see if we can play this very important game on a suitable field. We dont have the desire or ego to force either team to play on a unfit surface. If the field is deemed to be playable we want our team to enjoy the home atmosphere they deserve, but if it means having to mud wrestle for a regional final I think our athletic director will do the right thing. Can you imagine how good the EV and Louisa game would have been on turf.

ummmm im not sure where i might have said that or where so if you could tell me as im sure you misunderstood what i was saying.

@86CulpGrad, I have not heard of any such rumor/plan and since I am part of the gameday staff I am 100% sure I would have been given a heads up.

Right now we are evaluating the sod daily to see if we can play this very important game on a suitable field. We dont have the desire or ego to force either team to play on a unfit surface. If the field is deemed to be playable we want our team to enjoy the home atmosphere they deserve, but if it means having to mud wrestle for a regional final I think our athletic director will do the right thing. Can you imagine how good the EV and Louisa game would have been on turf.
Call your office!

snooka no crow eating as way more ppl called it wrong than you did. I wont disagree with andthose stats but I will say louisa controlled that game except 3 total plays. one was a gimme on that interception at beginning of game. after that it was a 60 something yard run and a double tip catch for td. eastern was tough as hell and congrats but in a game 2 I take my lions all day. my boys were pretty beat up by the end of the game as at least 5 starters were gimping on the sideline. 2 great teams they should have met in the finals.

There ya go racindan4u. Dont know if it was your intention for it to come out like that though

Reactions: OCBoy
@racindan4u, it isnt worth debating brother. Your team had a heck of a season. I have said all year that my Generals are too young, but who knows..... I admittedly get a bit perturbed when Dinwiddie is over looked or is considered an afterthought. Since realignment only LT and Dinwiddie on the eastern side of the state have won a championship and played in two state finals, so naturally I get peeved when teams puff out their chest and talk smack. Louisa beat us at our place last year with a super senior laden team. Although we are playing at a nuetral site EV comes in with an alleged superior ball club. If we lose oh well. Three straight regional finals is fine by me. Proud of our young bucks.

@racindan4u, it isnt worth debating brother. Your team had a heck of a season. I have said all year that my Generals are too young, but who knows..... I admittedly get a bit perturbed when Dinwiddie is over looked or is considered an afterthought. Since realignment only LT and Dinwiddie on the eastern side of the state have won a championship and played in two state finals, so naturally I get peeved when teams puff out their chest and talk smack. Louisa beat us at our place last year with a super senior laden team. Although we are playing at a nuetral site EV comes in with an alleged superior ball club. If we lose oh well. Three straight regional finals is fine by me. Proud of our young bucks.

I got Dinwiddie

Reactions: DinGen53
FYI....EV replaced 11 starters. Young bucks indeed.

FYI....EV replaced 11 starters. Young bucks indeed.
I realize all of the top 4 teams lost talent, but according to the EV faithful (look back through the threads) the Cyclones and Monacan returned the most. The only concern identified on preps about EV was the secondary.

On defense Dinwiddie replaced 3 d lineman, 3 linebackers, and 2 dbs. (5 all state players). On offense only they lost 3 O lineman, fb, rb, te, and 1 receiver (2 all state players). Thats 15 out of 22 starters. Mills has doneva great job of plugging the holes and adapting things to fit this teams strengths. This team has talent no doubt. The 9th and 10th grade starters have grown into their roles nicely.

Mills, the Dinwiddie team and Navy Nation have a motto we live by everyday. "Find a Way!". If its possible our team will do just that. Lets do this.

I realize all of the top 4 teams lost talent, but according to the EV faithful (look back through the threads) the Cyclones and Monacan returned the most. The only concern identified on preps about EV was the secondary.

On defense Dinwiddie replaced 3 d lineman, 3 linebackers, and 2 dbs. (5 all state players). On offense only they lost 3 O lineman, fb, rb, te, and 1 receiver (2 all state players). Thats 15 out of 22 starters. Mills has doneva great job of plugging the holes and adapting things to fit this teams strengths. This team has talent no doubt. The 9th and 10th grade starters have grown into their roles nicely.

Mills, the Dinwiddie team and Navy Nation have a motto we live by everyday. "Find a Way!". If its possible our team will do just that. Lets do this.
With the 8 teams that are left, I would be surprised if any of the games aren't close after the last few replays I've seen.

There ya go racindan4u. Dont know if it was your intention for it to come out like that though

sorry you took it that way but that was because of their records and the way the game went I have great respect for both Dinwiddie and Monacan. I guess its just my neg thoughts on the points system but that is my opinion and nothing to do with how things work in hs football these days.

Reactions: OCBoy
sorry you took it that way but that was because of their records and the way the game went I have great respect for both Dinwiddie and Monacan. I guess its just my neg thoughts on the points system but that is my opinion and nothing to do with how things work in hs football these days.

I just posted it for you. I never took it the wrong way, even if your thought was they were the 2 best teams, I certainly didn't read it as disrespectful to the others

I just posted it for you. I never took it the wrong way, even if your thought was they were the 2 best teams, I certainly didn't read it as disrespectful to the others
Everyone is going to be biased towards the team they root for / see the most....only normal. I must say......after seeing game replays of these teams, nothing but respect. Whoever the winner is will have earned it. Defense seems to be at a premium.

Reactions: mbonape1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT