Votes: 42 62.7%
  • Salem

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
As expected congrats on both wins... Now the big showdown

Have to pick Dinwiddie in this one. Think it will be a tight game, but I simply think they are the slightly better team this year.

I'm thinking Dinwiddie is just to strong. Hope I'm wrong.
I think so as well but I would love to be wrong.

Salem is playing better in a lot of ways since they lost Ramsey but the tailback production has went down quite a bit and I think this is a game where his game-breaking ability on both sides will be missed.

Reactions: one man
I think so as well but I would love to be wrong.

Salem is playing better in a lot of ways since they lost Ramsey but the tailback production has went down quite a bit and I think this is a game where his game-breaking ability on both sides will be missed.

My 2nd time seeing Salem this year and they looked like Salem! Fundamentally sound, executed to the T after the early pick 6. I love their balance on offense. They keep it simple, take what you give them.

I think it's going to be a thriller next week, very similar to the title game last year with just a bit more offense than last year's game. Beckley will be key for Salem offense, take care of rock, move chains on 3rd down throws and run when you have to. Defensively, can they contain Pope and Freeland enough on the outside?

I'm calling a 1 score game, team that wins the TO margin will be the victor. Something like 27-24.

Tough to eval here. Dinwiddie can run and pass the ball but they don't hit a 5 - 2 defense and zone coverage often. Spartan's are tough against the run and the zone is usually a nightmare for QB's used to man coverage. Plus, the Spartan's can pass or run equally well, which allows Mag's to exploit any weakness a team has, as he did with Dominion this afternoon.

Dinwiddie, on the other hand, is equally effective against pass and run offenses. They are very, very tough defensively because they have so few weaknesses here. But they started strong offensively against Lafayette today and could not close them out as expected. Ram's are good as a defense but Salem is better. That should be troubling for Mills.

The Spartan's are going to put up points next weekend even though preventing this is The General's number one strength. Mag's will find a way. The question is, can Dinwiddie score more? It's gonna' be a close one either way. GL to both.

You are right PHS. Will be a good game with contrasting styles. The zone defense doesn't bother me, but Dinwiddie has to put a hat on the Salem linebackers to establish the run. Defensively, Dinwiddie had their worst game of the season defending the run. Need to fix this quickly. Still only gave up 14 points, but our offensive output was not what we are accostome to. Kudos to the Lafayette team.

Dinwiddie still pretty big favorite. But, Salem won't be scared. They will give it their best

Tough to eval here. Dinwiddie can run and pass the ball but they don't hit a 5 - 2 defense and zone coverage often. Spartan's are tough against the run and the zone is usually a nightmare for QB's used to man coverage. Plus, the Spartan's can pass or run equally well, which allows Mag's to exploit any weakness a team has, as he did with Dominion this afternoon.

Dinwiddie, on the other hand, is equally effective against pass and run offenses. They are very, very tough defensively because they have so few weaknesses here. But they started strong offensively against Lafayette today and could not close them out as expected. Ram's are good as a defense but Salem is better. That should be troubling for Mills.

The Spartan's are going to put up points next weekend even though preventing this is The General's number one strength. Mag's will find a way. The question is, can Dinwiddie score more? It's gonna' be a close one either way. GL to both.
Salem plays a lot more man than zone.

I haven't seen Salem this year, but I know their history. I saw Dinwiddie play today and was impressed with facets of their game, yet they still looked a little flat. I hope Dinwiddie pulls it out but Salem will be a tough test.

This matchup sure makes both of our first game of the year next season, even more interesting. One team or the other will be looking for revenge, and the other will want to prove that their win wasn't a fluke.

I thought it was game 3. Thought Salem had Amherst, Franklin County, then Dinwiddie.

Hoofprint, you are correct. I'm not sure it's game three, but I know it's not game one. Sorry.

Hoofprint, you are correct. I'm not sure it's game three, but I know it's not game one. Sorry.

Either way, it's pretty darn cool that they'll be matching up so soon after meeting for all the marbles this year. And to think, I was skeptical when, nearly two years ago, you first announced a Dinwiddie - Salem series was in the works. Allow me to apologize yet again.

No big deal, thought maybe I had missed something. Might be week 4, we usually have a bye week two. Either way, looking forward to it.

They played zone almost the entire game against LT last year. It played a major role in their win.
They played both but the reason they played more zone in that game than usual is because of how they were defending the veer.

Zone secondary coverage was defending the veer? Your opinion is noted.
It isn't an opinion. If you are playing a veer option/triple option team and you want your corners to take the pitch back you have to play zone. One of the really good things about that offense is it pretty much dictates the defenses you will see.

Reactions: gwb16
It isn't an opinion. If you are playing a veer option/triple option team and you want your corners to take the pitch back you have to play zone. One of the really good things about that offense is it pretty much dictates the defenses you will see.
Your opinion is noted.

Hey Dinwiddie I am pulling for you guys I know you will have lots of fans in Williamsburg, wish it were at LU so I could cook for you. The Amherst crew is hosting again because they do a great job but they are having it catered. Too far for us Lady Boosters to cook and travel

Last edited:
I am going with Dinwiddie just bc I think Freeland and Pope will be the best 2 athletes on the field. Those 2 are really what sets Dinwiddie apart in my view in the 4A field. The blue print has been laid on how to stay in the game with them. Salem just needs to follow the blueprint and stay within striking distance and who knows.

I'd like to see Dinwiddie take more risks and try to get the ball to their athletes in space more than they have in the past few weeks. I know coaches want to stick to a game-plan / strategy but I really think athletically is where Dinwiddie excels. I think they should use the short / intermediate passing game more to open up the run rather than trying to hammer on the ground so much to set up the pass. Swing passes, wide slants, a few well place screens etc to get the defense moving laterally.. then pepper in the run and take chances down the field. With that being said.. they are undefeated and maybe they just go with "what got them there"

I haven't seen enough of Salem to really analyze their offense etc. But it sure would be nice if they could start fast and build a lead early.

Salem is the state champ until somebody takes that belt. East vs West, bragging rights for a year is what you get and a nice shiny ring. Not to mention being able to tell everyone for the rest of your life... When I was in high school we were state champs! Every time you sit next to somebody at a bar for moving forward you've got that story in your back pocket.

Congratulations and good luck to both teams!

Dinwiddie has a 66% chance to win on the VHSL Simulator and that game was simulated at Salem. Calpreps likes Dinwiddie with a 31-28 score. Should be a good one, no matter what. Here's what I'm thinking, Salem has been in a number of close games (William Byrd x2, Amherst, and even the Patrick Henry game had Salem fans sweating) whereas Dinwiddie's closest game was 28-19 against Thomas Dale. I know that might make Dinwiddie sound like the favorite, but if this game gets close, I think Salem might get the edge just because they have been in close games multiple times this season. Dinwiddie won two ground it out games against Lake Taylor and Lafayette, but I just have a feeling if the game is close in the final eight or so minutes, the experience Salem has in close games just might give them the edge. That said, Dinwiddie is like the superman of Virginia football teams, so it might not matter. It will just be interesting to see how Dinwiddie does if this game goes down to the wire.

Mac and Bobs has great food and a lot of different beers on draft. It is a locally owned restaurant which has been updated over the years.

http://macandbobs.com/our-story/

What's the name of the place on 460 with the tree growing through the roof? Stabler, if you are coming from east of Salem, stop by here and get a hot dog. Tell them, easy on the chili, and get three quarts of water. (And that may not be enough!)

I don't know too much about Salem in detail but I would agree, the difference will be who wins the turnover battle. At this stage teams are solid every where so mistakes are the key.

Everyone knows I have had Dinwiddie since week one. I will stay with them.

But Salem scares the crap out of me. They do not have the better athletes but they are currently the New England Patriots of 4A. Plug and play. Simply smarter than anyone else and will not be intimidated. What happened against Lafayette should scare the hell out of the Generals. Dinwiddie showed weakness against the run. The secondary was not strong against a team that does not pass. Most of the Generals points were a result of ram errors. Not that this is a bad thing but long, controlled drives would have been a hell of a lot more impressive and Salem's defense is better than Lafayettes. Generals should have easily closed Lafayette out in the 2nd half and DID NOT GET IT DONE.

I have to go with The Generals because I picked them after week one but if the Spartan's pull this out again, all of Salem needs to put an sacrificial lamb at the Mag's altar.

Reactions: gwb16
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT