ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointed...

DEVILSLB99

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2005
I must say I'm a little disappointed with 4A East and the decision that was just made to change the playoff format. For years I liked the playoffs the way they were set up in 1A-3A and felt they had a good thing going. When 4A South decided to go 1-16 I always felt it allowed the best teams to get in, well that will no longer be the case in the new 4A East. Some AD's were complaining and so now we have a set up like this:
17 and 18 will seed 1-8 and play down to the final 2
19 and 20 will seed 1-8 and play down to the final 2
Those final four will cross bracket with the higher seeded teams hosting and the winners will meet for the 4A East title.
Last season conference 17-18 combined for 12 of 16 playoff teams while 19-20 only had 4. So with that being said 25% of the playoff field from a season ago would have been left out. Moreover here is what the playoffs would have looked like last season using this format

17-18
1. Lake Taylor (10-0)
2. Heritage (9-1)
3 .Kings Fork (8-2)
4. Phoebus (7-3)
5. Norcom (8-2)
6. Tabb (-3)
7. Nansemond River (5-5)
8. BTW (5-4)

Left out:
9. Grafton (6-4)
10. Smithfield (5-5)
11. Churchland (4-6)
12. Lakeland (3-7)

19-20
1. Monacan (8-2)
2. Powhatan (9-1)
3. Hanover (7-3)
4. Dinwiddie (8-2)
5. JR Tucker (3-7)
6. Midlothian (2-8)
7. Glen Allen (1-9)
8. Caroline (0-10)

Now I can see how people don't like teams with losing records in so you can say Churchland and Lakeland didn't belong in the 16 team field but in this new format you would have half the field from 19-20 with a combined 6 wins. The one thing they will do is rotate so in the 2016 season 17 and 19 will be matched up and 18 and 20 like they do in basketball just. In 2017 it will be 17 &20 and 18 &19. All in all I think it is a bad change and once again "travel" was the number one excuse to make this change. SMH

Here is last years playoffs with the new system in place:
17-18
1. Lake Taylor 10-0 (32.8)
2. Heritage 9-1 (31.1)
3. Lafayette 10-0 (29.9)
4. King's Fork 8-2 (28.8)
5. Great Bridge 6-4 (26.3)
6. Grafton 6-4 (23.6)
7. Smithfield 5-5 (21.8)
8. Churchland 4-6 (21.6)

19-20
1. Courtland 9-1 (29.5)
2. Monacan 8-2 (29.4)
3. Powhatan 9-1 (28.3)
4. Eastern View 9-1 (27.8)
5. Hanover 7-3 (27.5)
6. Dinwiddie 8-2 (27.0)
7. Louisa 7-3 (25.8)
8. King George 4-6 (21.3)

I have to agree here. It doesn't seem right. It's as though the AD's got together and said "we can't play with the 757 so let's set up a system where we can get through a few rounds of playoff games, make some money and save some face". That's my first take and gut feeling although I do like the cross-bracketing concept for the final 4. It seems right but also looks like a concession to get the initial split in place.

Need more info before a jump to judgement but this reeks of politics and money. Sad for HS but naive to think it doesn't exist.

GL to LT in 2015.

Last edited:
So if this is the case BTW who wouldn't be in the playoffs under this new format beat the would be 3 seed Powhatan! SMH "If you scared say your scared."

I have to agree here. It doesn't seem right. It's as though the AD's got together and said "we can't play with the 757 so let's set up a system where we can get through a few rounds of playoff games, make some money and save some face". That's my first take and gut feeling although I do like the cross-bracketing concept for the final 4. It seems right but also looks like a concession to get the initial split in place.

Need more info before a jump to judgement but this reeks of politics and money. Sad for HS but naive to think it doesn't exist.

GL to LT in 2015.
In talking to a person who was at the meeting you are correct the cross bracketing was a concession made to at lease smooth over some tensions from this new format. I will tell you like this 17 and 18 did not want this in place, but when you get people in meetings and people start voting with their friends this is what happens. The Central Region has always been about having representation at the "state" level and keeping it close to the old format as possible. Look at 5A and 6A they both have pod systems similar to this driven by the Richmond schools desire to play closer playoff games. They want the Tidewater teams to knock each other out and then they can play their "best" against the Tidewater team. In 5a its a total disaster on their part because yearly they have quality teams miss the playoffs while we have 2 win teams in Tidewater in the playoffs.

LOL...I know Dinwiddie isn't scared Monacan neither, but the rest of them....IDK it boils down to the same reasons they didn't cross bracket in the state semifinals.. Scared of all ER state finals

Me personally I love seeing my team playing the 757 teams. Our championship season we played all 757 teams in the playoffs besides the championship . For years I think this area has not been scared to play the 757 but a little star struck for all the high profile athletes that came through the tidewater area. You just need the motivation that you can play with these guys and success will come eventually. We had our bumps and bruises with those Phoebus teams but that what we needed to get us over the hump.

Most definitely Gen I agree, but Dinwiddie was willing to take those bump and bruises. Hanover is another team I know that will not back down, but again that's three programs the rest of them who haven't played 757 teams consistently would rather not IMHO.

In order to be the "best", one should consistently play the "best". This also helps to make conference play stronger. Just my .02

I personally don't think they are scared so much , as it is beating schools closer to them is their ultimate goal ' so long as that mentality exists they will ride along with their 8-3 , 9-2 , even 10-1 seasons , and not put in the work to build their programs up to include State Championships , jmo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT