ADVERTISEMENT

Distrcts

Snookasuperstar

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 19, 2012
Should VHSL do away with district play? This was asked a few years ago but bringing it back up because I do not see the point in this. Maybe we could schedule a few more schools who are 3a and not be looped with all these 4a and 5a schools super powers in the JD.

Districts, or leagues, do serve a purpose. They allow easier scheduling, can reduce travel costs, and create rivalries. That said, for the post season I see no reason to have a district tournament other than to give teams a few additional games or a meet prior to the state level tournaments. Notice I said state level tournament. I do not feel that Virginia is large enough to warrant regions feeding into a state tournament, and would rather see a true "state" tournament where all teams who qualify (by whatever criteria) are ranked 1 to X (by whatever criteria) and then you play a standard bracket. But I also know "this ain't happening".

Districts, or leagues, do serve a purpose. They allow easier scheduling, can reduce travel costs, and create rivalries. That said, for the post season I see no reason to have a district tournament other than to give teams a few additional games or a meet prior to the state level tournaments. Notice I said state level tournament. I do not feel that Virginia is large enough to warrant regions feeding into a state tournament, and would rather see a true "state" tournament where all teams who qualify (by whatever criteria) are ranked 1 to X (by whatever criteria) and then you play a standard bracket. But I also know "this ain't happening".
What do you mean by "not large enough"? Are you talking geography or number of schools?

What do you mean by "not large enough"? Are you talking geography or number of schools?
Geography. I know some of the trips can be long for the schools in remote regions of the state, but I am just of the opinion a state tournament should consist of all eligible teams in a single bracket (by class). I also know it will never happen in Virginia.

One example: it's 5 hours from abingdon to manassas park. And that's by car. More like 6 on school busses. This is just one example. There are dozens more. The fuel and driver pay alone would be unfathomable. Probably would start seeing some teams having to get hotels. That's even more expense.

Geography. I know some of the trips can be long for the schools in remote regions of the state, but I am just of the opinion a state tournament should consist of all eligible teams in a single bracket (by class). I also know it will never happen in Virginia.

You say this I’m sure as someone who doesn’t live in a remote part of the state. do you have any idea how far it is from Hurley, Va to Essex in Tappahannock. It’s a six and a half hour drive in car without stops. And that could very well be a possible first round playoff game given your suggestion. That’s insane.

Districts are not about football, they are about all the other sports.

Very true... if football was the only consideration they would be gone... but what about field hockey and volleyball and all of that?

Honestly in talking with other coaches they feel the opposite is true. They feel districts are only for football. Just their opinion. I know of winter and spring sport coaches from the central Virginia area that would like to get rid of district play.

Reactions: VAHSFootballFan
Honestly in talking with other coaches they feel the opposite is true. They feel districts are only for football. Just their opinion. I know of winter and spring sport coaches from the central Virginia area that would like to get rid of district play.
I believe you are right on this. I will say though, I get it. Playing local keeps local rivalries going, which generates gate receipts, which pays for a lot of other stuff. Additionally, football teams tend to take two buses, plus cheerleaders, plus the band, plus a pep bus, plus, plus, plus. Schedule a couple of OOD games against who you can (see: Dinwiddie vs Salem, good for you guys!) and play your locals for the rest. Get to the play-offs and whatever happens, happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT