ADVERTISEMENT

District Tournaments

Dec 1, 2004
Correct me if I'm wrong please. For those districts with no tournament, regional seedings are set. For those who have tournaments, the regular season champ will still have to win the tournament to host a regional game. For example, Handley won the NW district regular season title, but should they lose in the NW district tourney (even though they received an automatic regional birth), they would have to go on the road to face the Dulles tourney champ. Correct?

With Handley and Loudoun Valley winning the regular season titles wouldn't that give them the 1 seeds and home court in the Region C tournament semifinals? If it didn't then the regular season wouldn't mean anything. Some of this is confusing some districts don't have a post season tournament then in the Regionals in Class 4 some have 13, 10, 8, and 4 teams making the tournament.

Last edited:
I would think but the way it is set up I think they both would have to win their tournament to host. Again, am not sure.

I know in Region B that is not the case. All 13 teams make regionals and seeding is based solely on power points according to what I’ve been told.

I personally do not like the idea of rewarding a team for winning its district tournament while essentially ignoring what happened during the regular season. They play 20 or so games for a reason...

Reactions: OCBoy and mccall33
Correct me if I'm wrong please. For those districts with no tournament, regional seedings are set. For those who have tournaments, the regular season champ will still have to win the tournament to host a regional game. For example, Handley won the NW district regular season title, but should they lose in the NW district tourney (even though they received an automatic regional birth), they would have to go on the road to face the Dulles tourney champ. Correct?
So I was actually told by a reliable source at the Battlefield tourney tonight that teams who win their district tourneys will gain higher seeding in the regionals than those who do not.

For instance, say you have a team that won 18-19 games and its regular season district championship. I was told tonight that in that scenario, if the team did not also win its district tournament, then the team that does win that tournament would wind up seeded higher for regionals. This is regardless of record or power rating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT