ADVERTISEMENT

Division 1A CONCERNS

trutiger16

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 10, 2014
I would like the opinion on the fairness for 2a programs who drop to 1a in a single season, and also the use of combined schools in 1a. This isn't a knock on any programs but I feel it would be fair if VHSL make these programs play 2 years in the upper class before coming down to 1a if student enrollment drops. The combined schools should not be allowed to play 1a and should compete at the 2a level. Please express your thoughts ?

It's a two year cycle.... No one moves up or down every year.

You either fall on one side of the line or the other. That's just the way it is.
You get an 89 in school that's a B
You get a 90 in school that's an A

People get all worked up over simple figures/math.

I agree. No system is perfect. And there are those schools whose enrollment float on that line. No one should be punished because enrollment is in flux. And two years is a pretty good gap for measurement. I don't really like the 6A format (cheapens a state title if there are five others as well), but I do think it is a step in the right direction.

The rule for allowing combined schools is very specific and unlikely to happen now. Bland/Rocky Gap, prior to consolidation, were the last schools to do this. No schools currently meet the criteria to combine. It's doubtful we'll ever see another combined school unless the rule is changed. I'd personally like to see it changed so that kids in Highland, Chincoteague, and Rappahanock County can participate and compete in sports their schools are unable (or unwilling) to field, even if they have to cross school division lines to do so. I realize the imposition this would be for neighboring school divisions, though. I suppose allowing private schools to compete with public schools is the current way around this.

Like Goat said, it's simple math. If two small schools consolidate and still have 1A enrollment, they should remain 1A. Why make them play against much larger schools just because they used to be separate teams? The OP didn't call out any schools, but the only recently consolidated schools in 1A are Eastside and Twin Valley. While I don't follow many sports outside of football, I doubt either of these programs are dominating the other 1A schools in their area.

Rappahannock County and Chincoteague offer all the sports that other 1A schools offer.

I always thought it would be cool if Highland, along with the 3 teeny tiny schools in West Virginia (Harman, Union-Mount Storm, and Paw Paw) got together and formed a 6 man football league. Toss in VSDB and WVSD in Romney and voila, a unique sport for those 4-6 schools. Otherwise, I dont see many kids from Highland being willing to make the trek to Hot Springs or Swoope to play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT