ADVERTISEMENT

Do you hear what I hear

To give you guys a better way to sum up the situation Coach Wells is coming into... he is stepping into a conference where the top 3 teams in the conference in 2017 all made it to State or the regional finals (Mallard Creek, Vance, and Hough). The conference he’s coming into is an absolute gauntlet, and the toughest in NC, bar none. 6 of the 8 teams also made the playoffs last year...

Last edited:
Just from experience. Been to a lot of VA and NC games. Competition is way better in NC. We can compare scores and analytics all day and it wouldn’t accomplish anything. You know how we praise Salem for being traditionally well coached, physical and while being usually less talented? Well the teams I named have all that and more? Know how serious they take their football in Richmond County? They pay their head football coach 78k a year. When Scotland and Richmond plays, if you’re not their by 4:30 on game day and you don’t have advance tickets, you won’t get in. Them Charlotte schools such as Mallard Creek, Mathews Butler, Sun Valley/Porter Ridge, Harding (this year), and Vance? Multiple high major D1 players year in and year out. Since I started watching them in 06, Durham Hillside sends at least 5 to power 5 schools every year (Oregon, UNC, Maryland, etc). Todd Gurley at Tarboro, Kennan Allen/Chris McCain/TJ Logan/Maurice Harris at Northern Guilford, Pharoh Cooper at Havelock, Zamir White at Scotland, DJ Reader at Grimsley, Marquez North and DJ Humpries at Creek, Elijah Hood at Catholic..All in the past 7 years. Sorry man, NC is where it’s at. No debate.
Don’t be sorry DSH, born and raised in the Tarheel state. You’re right, we can debate all night long.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Don’t be sorry DSH, born and raised in the Tarheel state. You’re right, we can debate all night long.
Yessir we can! I love VA and NC high school ball equally. I’d love to see more NC/VA match-ups. They do SC/NC all of the time with multiple games at one site. Love to see a Mallard Creek vs Smith or Westfield, Page or Dudley vs Herm or Highland Springs, Wake Forest vs Salem. I’d pay $20 to see 3 games.

Yessir we can! I love VA and NC high school ball equally. I’d love to see more NC/VA match-ups. They do SC/NC all of the time with multiple games at one site. Love to see a Mallard Creek vs Smith or Westfield, Page or Dudley vs Herm or Highland Springs, Wake Forest vs Salem. I’d pay $20 to see 3 games.

Maybe we can get a Blacksburg vs Mooresville game in the near future haha. That’d be fun. I’ve always wanted us to play an out of state opponent

Maybe we can get a Blacksburg vs Mooresville game in the near future haha. That’d be fun. I’ve always wanted us to play an out of state opponent
Wells does like that sort of thing
Nah, us VA teams too scared, lol!

Reactions: MooresvilleDevil06
Bye bye Thad...nice having you around for a cup of coffee...take that arrogance to NC
Bruins W-L record for the last 10 years:
2008 6-5
2009 3-7
2010 3-7
2011 1-9
2012 2-8
2013 4-6
2014 6-5
2015 6-5
2016 10-5
2017 11-2
He will double his salary and teach PE/weight lifting. No brainer for the move !!

Go Christiansburg !!

Last edited:
Reactions: las2018
Whether one likes or does not like Coach Wells decision to move is obviously mute at this point. The fact is, it happens in the coaching world. By nature coaches are ultra competitive and many of the newer/younger coaches (generation thing) get bored and do not see maintaining a program as a challenge. This type of scenario is very common in the private and public business sector. It is very rare for an employee to stay with a company for any extended period. The current generation is always looking for the next big thing. Is this necessarily bad? To some (like many of us old folks) we do not think these people are being loyal. To others, its accepted and encouraged, because it promotes a "creative and fresh" culture.

Coach Wells accomplished quite a bit in his tenure. Many coaches who have been very loyal never won State Championship and go to work everyday still searching for one. I appreciate those coaches as well. The key in all of this is the players who may be bothered by it now are just like the younger coaches. They are immune to change and will resiliently move on to the next "big thing". Blacksburg FB will be just fine and so will the fans come August. Stay positive and just maybe you will get another fine coach. Good luck and best wishes to all parties involved.

Last edited:
To give you guys a better way to sum up the situation Coach Wells is coming into... he is stepping into a conference where the top 3 teams in the conference in 2017 all made it to State or the regional finals (Mallard Creek, Vance, and Hough). The conference he’s coming into is an absolute gauntlet, and the toughest in NC, bar none. 6 of the 8 teams also made the playoffs last year...

Not only did the top 3 teams advance to the state final-4 last season, 6 of the 8 conference teams made the playoffs. Regardless of sport, the I-Mech-8 conference is an absolute beast and probably the best athletic conference in all of North Carolina. Virginia has some quality programs but top to bottom, North Carolina is far more competitive.

My brother has lived in Cornelius for nearly 20 years and his kids go to Hough. I've been to a lot of games over the years. Maybe we will run into one another at a game this fall.

Not only did the top 3 teams advance to the state final-4 last season, 6 of the 8 conference teams made the playoffs. Regardless of sport, the I-Mech-8 conference is an absolute beast and probably the best athletic conference in all of North Carolina. Virginia has some quality programs but top to bottom, North Carolina is far more competitive.

My brother has lived in Cornelius for nearly 20 years and his kids go to Hough. I've been to a lot of games over the years. Maybe we will run into one another at a game this fall.

Ahh yes good ol Hough... the most hated team in Mooresville lol.

Honestly I’d be curious to hear/read the story in the paper tomorrow about the hiring of Coach Wells. I’d love to find out what separated him from the others during the interviews process. I had heard he absolutely blew people away with his message, so I’m curious as to what that could have been (there was a point where I was certain we were going to hire the Harding coach).

Reactions: las2018 and sixcat
2008 6-5
2009 3-7
2010 3-7
2011 1-9
2012 2-8
2013 4-6
2014 6-5
2015 6-5
2016 10-5
2017 11-2
He will double his salary and teach PE/weight lifting. No brainer for the move !!

Go Christiansburg !!

I'm not a BBurg fan I just think he is an arrogant human being

2008 6-5
2009 3-7
2010 3-7
2011 1-9
2012 2-8
2013 4-6
2014 6-5
2015 6-5
2016 10-5
2017 11-2

Go Christiansburg !!
Started his career at B-burg with a loss to the Spartans, ended with a loss to the Spartans.

A little arrogance is warranted when you take over a program with 13 victories over a 5 year period and win a state championship inside of two seasons. One must also consider, 5 of those 13 victories were against Carroll. Does that even count?

My feeling is, most who don't like him either don't know him or root for teams that can't beat the teams Wells coaches.

He apparently just met out players, and our guys seem to really like what he’s about. We’re already a step ahead of our previous regime lol. I’m excited anyway

You say arrogance I say swagger. I like a coach to have a little bit of swagger about him. Maybe that’s just the former athlete in me lol
He apparently just met out players, and our guys seem to really like what he’s about. We’re already a step ahead of our previous regime lol. I’m excited anyway
You are very fortunate to have Coach Wells at Mooresville. He is a class act and man of integrity; most importantly a family man.

Last edited:
I would just like to congratulate Coach Wells in his future endeavours. I do not know personally but he is a great coach and competitor. That 2016 championship season he did a really good job of listening to his players and made the necessary changes in mid season to win a championship. No one should ever question his decision in moving on like so many on the boards so often do.

My only personal experience with Coach Wells is when he introduced himself to me when I was unloading from the van for the Region D playoff game in November. I thought it was very nice of him to come over and say hi before a big playoff game, especially when I'm a fan of the other team. I wish him the best in Mooresville and hope Blacksburg can find a good coach to take his place.

I like all the positive things I’m reading about him. Seems like the type of coach we need right now to stabilize our program. Good luck to Blacksburg this year! I still would absolutely love to see y’all on the schedule in the near future, that’s not too bad a trip and I’d definitely make a trip up there if we played y’all there

No comparison. NC as a whole is a lot more competitive. The atmosphere, the buzz in the air. There are big games week after week and it’s better overall student and community support. We have some really good teams in VA but I doubt very seriously many could hang with Creek, Richmond County, Scotland, Wake Forest, New Hanover, Catholic, Page, AC Reynolds and even the smaller schools like Tarboro and Reidsville.
My only dispute with this statement is that NC and VA have different enrollment numbers for their classifications. We have 6A as our highest classification in Va but 4A is the highest in NC. Almost all of the Mecklenburg public schools have close to or over 2,000 students. So in reality, most 4A schools in NC have the student enrollment the size of a 5A or 6A school in Va. So the real question is, how does 4A competition in NC compare to 5A/6A competition in VA?

My only dispute with this statement is that NC and VA have different enrollment numbers for their classifications. We have 6A as our highest classification in Va but 4A is the highest in NC. Almost all of the Mecklenburg public schools have close to or over 2,000 students. So in reality, most 4A schools in NC have the student enrollment the size of a 5A or 6A school in Va. So the real question is, how does 4A competition in NC compare to 5A/6A competition in VA?

North Carolina has 8 classifications for football.

http://www.nchsaa.org/sports/championships

Virginia has talent and quality teams, especially in NOVA, Tidewater and Richmond at the upper levels. North Carolina has a competitive balance Virginia simply cannot match. The depth of talent in North Carolina is remarkable.

They have 8 classifications whereas we have 6.
NC
1A
1AA
2A
2AA
3A
3AA
4A
4AA

VA
1A
2A
3A
4A
5A
6A

In NC the 3A level ball comparable to our 4a and 5a ball. I don't believe that many of our teams in VA are deep enough to take down the Northern Guilford's (who has had a few down years since their last state championship in 2015), Charlotte Catholic's, Dudley's, Havelock's, Shelby Crest's, or the Mount Tabor's. Maybe Dinwiddie, Highland Springs and Herm could compete ? But just don’t think they could win the state championship in N.C. Can't be too one dimension and you have to match these teams’ physicality and speed. These teams also usually have 75+ players on the team and a lot of them have kids riding the bench that could go to another program and be a starter. Salem's a good model to compare these schools with. They take their ball seriously, they are well-coached, they reload, and have good feeder systems. Our top 4a teams from this year (Salem, Louisa, Dinwiddie) would not have come close to beating a Havelock or Charlotte Catholic. 4A ball in NC is much tougher to win in. Most teams have 80-90 players to a team. Mallard Creek, Page, Butler, Scotland, Richmond, Wake Forest, New Hanover, AC Reynolds, Garner, Middle Creek, and a lot more make it very tough. Westfield and Smith are probably the only teams deep and skilled enough to take those teams down but I doubt they could win the N.C. state championship.

Reactions: sixcat
They have 8 classifications whereas we have 6.
NC
1A
1AA
2A
2AA
3A
3AA
4A
4AA

VA
1A
2A
3A
4A
5A
6A

In NC the 3A level ball comparable to our 4a and 5a ball. I don't believe that many of our teams in VA are deep enough to take down the Northern Guilford's (who has had a few down years since their last state championship in 2015), Charlotte Catholic's, Dudley's, Havelock's, Shelby Crest's, or the Mount Tabor's. Maybe Dinwiddie, Highland Springs and Herm could compete ? But just don’t think they could win the state championship in N.C. Can't be too one dimension and you have to match these teams’ physicality and speed. These teams also usually have 75+ players on the team and a lot of them have kids riding the bench that could go to another program and be a starter. Salem's a good model to compare these schools with. They take their ball seriously, they are well-coached, they reload, and have good feeder systems. Our top 4a teams from this year (Salem, Louisa, Dinwiddie) would not have come close to beating a Havelock or Charlotte Catholic. 4A ball in NC is much tougher to win in. Most teams have 80-90 players to a team. Mallard Creek, Page, Butler, Scotland, Richmond, Wake Forest, New Hanover, AC Reynolds, Garner, Middle Creek, and a lot more make it very tough. Westfield and Smith are probably the only teams deep and skilled enough to take those teams down but I doubt they could win the N.C. state championship.

The school my kids attend, Galax, scrimmaged Mount Airy in the pre-season. I didn't think anyone would stay within 3 scores of Mount Airy all season. Tarboro beat them 32-7 in the state title game. Tarboro was the most impressive school i saw play in all of 2017.

Similarly sized schools, Galax wouldn't stand a chance competing with those schools on a year-to-year basis. Yet, Galax is a perennial final-4 team in Virginia.

We only have 4 classifications here in NC.... they only sub divide into A/AA for the playoffs (4A is one playoff bracket and 4AA is a separate one). They only do this to include more teams and make more money. But most people here hate how that format is.... nobody here likes the subdividing just for playoffs

Last edited:
We only have 4 classifications here in NC.... they only sub divide into A/AA for the playoffs (4A is one playoff bracket and 4AA is a separate one). They only do this to include more teams and make more money. But most people here at how that format is.... nobody here likes the subdividing just for playoffs

Virginia did the same from 1986-2012. No matter how you break it down, it still comes down to effectively, an 8 classification system. To me, it just waters down the playoffs.

The school my kids attend, Galax, scrimmaged Mount Airy in the pre-season. I didn't think anyone would stay within 3 scores of Mount Airy all season. Tarboro beat them 32-7 in the state title game. Tarboro was the most impressive school i saw play in all of 2017.

Similarly sized schools, Galax wouldn't stand a chance competing with those schools on a year-to-year basis. Yet, Galax is a perennial final-4 team in Virginia.
Mount Airy has Donavan Green. Kid has many big time offers and is only a junior. Saw him play basketball many times last year and I believe he could play ACC basketball. From Mount Airy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same goes for Reidsville. In 08 they scrimmaged Gretna...BLEW GRETNA OFF THE FIELD!! Reidsville ended up winning the state championship that year and so did Gretna lol

Mount Airy has Donavan Green. Kid has many big time offers and is only a junior. Saw him play basketball many times last year and I believe he could play ACC basketball. From Mount Airy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Former Tarheel Wade Moody played basketball at Mount Airy. My brother played against a kid from Mount Airy about 20 years ago that wound up in the ACC. I can't remember his name though.

Former Tarheel Wade Moody played basketball at Mount Airy. My brother played against a kid from Mount Airy about 20 years ago that wound up in the ACC. I can't remember his name though.
They had a kid a few years back that went to ECU but the young man I mentioned (Green) has offers from Duke, Notre Dame, Wake, and NC State (who I believe is on the verge of greatness). Also, I see Matthews Butler will face off with Scotland County @ 5 with South Carolina powerhouse Dutch Fork playing Mallard Creek @8. Both games will be at Charlotte Memorial Stadium on August 18th. I will definitely be making the trip from Richmond to that!! Got a chance to see Butler play Richmond County back in 2010. The hardest hitting game I've ever seen at the high school level. Virginia needs to do these showcases. Could make a whole lot of money. @MooresvilleDevil06 hope to see you there if you go.

They had a kid a few years back that went to ECU but the young man I mentioned (Green) has offers from Duke, Notre Dame, Wake, and NC State (who I believe is on the verge of greatness). Also, I see Matthews Butler will face off with Scotland County @ 5 with South Carolina powerhouse Dutch Fork playing Mallard Creek @8. Both games will be at Charlotte Memorial Stadium on August 18th. I will definitely be making the trip from Richmond to that!! Got a chance to see Butler play Richmond County back in 2010. The hardest hitting game I've ever seen at the high school level. Virginia needs to do these showcases. Could make a whole lot of money. @MooresvilleDevil06 hope to see you there if you go.

As long as I’m not having to work I’ll be there. Especially since Mooresville’s opener is the night before

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT