ADVERTISEMENT

Do you hear what I hear

It doesn't really matter. Bigger states have better football, point taken. Florida, Texas, and California probably have the best HS football in the country if we want to compare states. I like where I'm at and the football is just fine here.

Oklahoma has an awesome High School football program, They even have a class in school for it, and Yes football is year round out there with creative ways to practice, youth coaches aren't worried about Timmy's and Sam's mom and dad, there are just worried about the kids they coach playing on Friday nights, which by the way has 8 to 10k fans at least per game, would love to see VA catch up in all of these categories, out there and I'm sure a few other states is the real "Friday Night Lights"....not Va

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
VA’s news media doesn’t even promote high school football or basketball any more. A good game, you may see a minutes and a half clip, at most. WDBJ7 hasn’t been the same since Mike and the late Roy Stanley left.

Sorry to break it to you boss, but they wouldn't. Didn't y'all lose to Chilhowie?

Mount Airy and Galax are similarly sized schools with similar demographics and socioeconomic backgrounds. Mount Airy consistently has 50 kids participating in the varsity program. Galax needs every able-bodied freshman and sophomore to field a team of half that total.

This isn't an attempt to discredit what Galax has built over the past decade. It's impressive for VHSL standards and outstanding for Galax standards given the athletic history prior to 2010. But NCHSAA is a whole different beast. One of Galax's assistant coaches and father of a VHSL 1A State Player of the year lives in North Carolina and his kids attended elementary and middle school in North Carolina before coming to Galax. Coach said his kids were "middle of the pack athletically, at best, in their previous school".

That's a direct quote!

middle of the road athletically at alleg

Wow, he playing at Appalachian State and he only middle of pact athletically at Alleghany. 3 time State Champ in wrestling, State player of year in football and All State baseball player and he middle of pack. Alleghany must be a powerhouse in North Carolina.

I never said Alleghany nor did I say he wasn't incredibly talented. But he didn't stand out against North Carolina competition as a middle schooler!

Come find me, I'll take you to his dad and verify the comment!

Wrong he scrimmage against Mount Airy.

Your world boss! Typical Galax butthurt. Honest, realistic commentary results in this stupidity.

The offer still stands. I'm easily found and I will verify Kevin's comments!

Argue with yourself from this point forward!

States w/ highest % of HS football players recruited by a DI school:
1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Louisiana
4-8. (DC), MD, TN, SC, NC https://t.co/N6wNkEQT57

4-8 are at 5.9 percent . Virginia at 5.6. Not that much difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: cb2018
Will leave you with this: from 2014-2018 classes, NC had 42 and VA 35 recruits from the ESPN 300. Each and every year, the states flip-flopped as to who had the most. Considering elite talent, pretty even.

Reactions: southbottomU
I often post on messageboards for one state in order to assert my dominance over another state because everything is a pissing contest.

Yea I think this huge gap between states is exaggerated. Probably changes from year to year.
Not at all. This has nothing to do with who sends more D1 players out, it has all to do with the overall product on the field. Been following NC & VA high school sports since I was 6 years old (18 years) and NC is consistently better than Virgina. It’s not even close.

Reactions: sixcat
Not at all. This has nothing to do with who sends more D1 players out, it has all to do with the overall product on the field. Been following NC & VA high school sports since I was 6 years old (18 years) and NC is consistently better than Virgina. It’s not even close.
You have been watching GW play in that turrible league ( as Charles would say) Compare apples and apples. Charlotte, Greensboro/Winston Salem, and The triad is where the population is. Compare those teams to the 5 and 6a schools in Nova, Richmond/Petersburg, and Tidewater. Salem is in 4a and you could make an argument that they are the only "great" program West of Charlottesville. So what I'm saying is compare centers of population, not Charlotte football to SW Virginia. Also compare same size schools

DSH, As I said before, we can debate this all we want. You say it has nothing to do with what state sends more to the collegiate level (no measure beyond popular recruiting services). How else would you objectively support your position that NC is more talented than VA?

DSH, As I said before, we can debate this all we want. You say it has nothing to do with what state sends more to the collegiate level (no measure beyond popular recruiting services). How else would you objectively support your position that NC is more talented than VA?
How many teams realistically had a shot to win the 6 state championships in VA? This year. Riverheads, maybe Essex at the 1a level...Union & Appo At the 2a (Lee surprised us all), Dinwiddie, Salem, Blacksburg (Louisa surprised us all) at the 4a level..Highland Springs or Herm in 5a, and Westfield and Smith in 6a. Same ole script. 3+ teams from each level dominate in VA year in and year out and it more than likely won’t change for next year. It’s nothing like that in Carolina. Level playing field.. Yes, NC has its share of D1 players and it has 2 million more people than Virginia but that’s not the sole reason that their top 2a and 3a programs could probably beat our best 4a and 5a programs and probably even 6a programs. We can debate all night and day but it’s just one of them things that’s “is what it is”.

Reactions: sixcat
How many teams realistically had a shot to win the 6 state championships in VA? This year. Riverheads, maybe Essex at the 1a level...Union & Appo At the 2a (Lee surprised us all), Dinwiddie, Salem, Blacksburg (Louisa surprised us all) at the 4a level..Highland Springs or Herm in 5a, and Westfield and Smith in 6a. Same ole script. 3+ teams from each level dominate in VA year in and year out and it more than likely won’t change for next year. It’s nothing like that in Carolina. Level playing field.. Yes, NC has its share of D1 players and it has 2 million more people than Virginia but that’s not the sole reason that their top 2a and 3a programs could probably beat our best 4a and 5a programs and probably even 6a programs. We can debate all night and day but it’s just one of them things that’s “is what it is”.
BS, same can be said for Tarboro, Reidsville, Shelby etc, year after year. Point is, the same schools in NC tend to be in the race year in and year out. Not any different than VA.

Reactions: 1bburgfan
Just for fun the two states should have an official all star game kinda like they do the shrine bowl. The top players from both states, not the local all star games that have popped up and watered down the real all star game in Virginia. Would be a fun event to attend. Would settle all arguments at least for a year lol

BS, same can be said for Tarboro, Reidsville, Shelby etc, year after year. Point is, the same schools in NC tend to be in the race year in and year out. Not any different than VA.
Nooo sir!! East Lincoln? Wallace Rose Hill? Hibriten? SW Onslow? Rocky Mount? Each class has at least 5-8 teams that can win each year in NC. Given, when Mallard Creek is good then it’s kind of hard not to crown them the champs in August for the class 4aa. Look at the past 6-7 years in NC. Very seldom does the same team that everybody crowns in August even make the state championship. Cb2018, who in the heck expected Cherokee to win 1a this past year? Harding University over Scotland? We’ll disagree on this one!

Reactions: cb2018
Nooo sir!! East Lincoln? Wallace Rose Hill? Hibriten? SW Onslow? Rocky Mount? Each class has at least 5-8 teams that can win each year in NC. Given, when Mallard Creek is good then it’s kind of hard not to crown them the champs in August for the class 4aa. Look at the past 6-7 years in NC. Very seldom does the same team that everybody crowns in August even make the state championship. Cb2018, who in the heck expected Cherokee to win 1a this past year? Harding University over Scotland? We’ll disagree on this one!
Who in the heck expected Bburg to win in 2016 either? I’m most disappointed you didn’t mention my Murphy Bulldogs

Didn't Lake Taylor go down to NC and play one of their good teams two years ago? Didn't Lake Taylor win? I'm pretty sure they did.
I don't totally agree with DSH, and really could give a hoot about who is better; however, Southbottom, you are helping prove DSH point. Northeastern from Elizabeth City is 2a and gave Lake Taylor good games in 2015 (lost by 7) and 2016.

I am proud of the football we play in Virginia and appreciate how we consistently turn out sound athletes. I trust both cb2018 and DSH opinions as they know NC football well. With that being said we need to respect each others points and just move on.

Just for fun the two states should have an official all star game kinda like they do the shrine bowl. The top players from both states, not the local all star games that have popped up and watered down the real all star game in Virginia. Would be a fun event to attend. Would settle all arguments at least for a year lol
Very good, but how about this? Border Bash
Friday August 17th Liberty University
Mallard Creek vs Oscar Smith 2pm
Westfield vs Wake Forest 4:30pm
Salem vs Charlotte Catholic 7:00

Saturday August 18th Liberty University
Lake Taylor vs Havelock 12pm
Durham Hillside vs Dinwiddie 2:30pm
Dudley vs Highland Springs 5:00pm
Richmond County vs Lake Braddock 7:30

Rotate it state to state each year and show the small schools some love too! Would never ever happen but it would be very neat to see. I’ve been saying for years that one of GW’s problems is that they don’t play NC schools. We’re 14 minutes from
Reidsville, 35 minutes from Eastern Guilford, Northern Guilford, Dudley, and Page, and 50 minutes from Hillside, Southern Durham, and East Forsyth. Way more power points (win or lose) and way better opponents than LCA, JF...#StayWoke!

Reactions: MrSir#5 and sixcat

Rotate it state to state each year and show the small schools some love too! Would never ever happen but it would be very neat to see. I’ve been saying for years that one of GW’s problems is that they don’t play NC schools. We’re 14 minutes from
Reidsville, 35 minutes from Eastern Guilford, Northern Guilford, Dudley, and Page, and 50 minutes from Hillside, Southern Durham, and East Forsyth. Way more power points (win or lose) and way better opponents than LCA, JF...#StayWoke!
I know LT will play anyone and Oscar Smith too. Both have played on ESPN before. Some of the other AD's I don't know anything about.

VA’s news media doesn’t even promote high school football or basketball any more. A good game, you may see a minutes and a half clip, at most. WDBJ7 hasn’t been the same since Mike and the late Roy Stanley left.

Wow really? That sucks! Down here we get 3 shows on Friday nights.. 1 of them is like 20 minutes, the others are a half hour each (one used to be an hour until last year). Generally the 20 min one has highlights from about 8 games, the others usually between 10-15 games

Add a Mooresville vs blacksburg game in and I’m sold haha. Are those games listed a done deal?

There are 4 shows here in the Roanoke area on Fri night. They last approximately 15-20 minutes. I think they all try to cover too many games in a short amount of time, therefore the quality isn't as good for each game. The original show has been around for over 30 years- WDBJ7's (CBS) Friday Football Extra. More recently WSET (ABC) with Football Friday, WSLS (NBC) 1st & 10, and WFXR (FOX) have added Friday Night Blitz. Even with more options, the coverage is not as good imo, as it used to be when they only had 1 program. FFE probably has the widest coverage area from Roanoke, to the NRV, to the Highlands, and Lynchburg. 1st & 10 covers generally the same area, but with less coverage of Lynchburg. Football Friday covers Lynchburg and Southside, with some Roanoke coverage. Blitz just started a couple of years ago and is still trying to establish its niche market, but they cover Roanoke primarily, with some coverage of the other areas.

There are 4 shows here in the Roanoke area on Fri night. They last approximately 15-20 minutes. I think they all try to cover too many games in a short amount of time, therefore the quality isn't as good for each game. The original show has been around for over 30 years- WDBJ7's (CBS) Friday Football Extra. More recently WSET (ABC) with Football Friday, WSLS (NBC) 1st & 10, and WFXR (FOX) have added Friday Night Blitz. Even with more options, the coverage is not as good imo, as it used to be when they only had 1 program. FFE probably has the widest coverage area from Roanoke, to the NRV, to the Highlands, and Lynchburg. 1st & 10 covers generally the same area, but with less coverage of Lynchburg. Football Friday covers Lynchburg and Southside, with some Roanoke coverage. Blitz just started a couple of years ago and is still trying to establish its niche market, but they cover Roanoke primarily, with some coverage of the other areas.
Thanks Mike. I can remember fighting sleep to watch FFE when I was little. The Roanoke/Lynchburg/Danville station..Forget what it was called..Used to have the game of the week on every Friday night with the monotone commentary. FFE’s highlights were at least 2 minutes long and Mike and Roy were hero’s in my eyes..Still are. The good ole days!

Wow really? That sucks! Down here we get 3 shows on Friday nights.. 1 of them is like 20 minutes, the others are a half hour each (one used to be an hour until last year). Generally the 20 min one has highlights from about 8 games, the others usually between 10-15 games
The Greensboro and Winston Salem stations cut back a little bit. I haven’t lived in Danville since 2012 during football season so they probably are much like the Roanoke station. The best highlights are WRAL High School OT out of Raliegh. Richmond does a pretty good job of covering high school games as far as what comes on TV..Cox Sports out of Tidewater is pretty darn good too thanks to Mr. Hatfield! They cover games all over VA, especially during playoff time. Each highlight is around 3-4 minutes long. Check them out on YouTube.

Thanks to DVR, I watch all four! With the shows and the newspaper articles I'm up pretty late on Friday night!

Reactions: mike salem
The Greensboro and Winston Salem stations cut back a little bit. I haven’t lived in Danville since 2012 during football season so they probably are much like the Roanoke station. The best highlights are WRAL High School OT out of Raliegh. Richmond does a pretty good job of covering high school games as far as what comes on TV..Cox Sports out of Tidewater is pretty darn good too thanks to Mr. Hatfield! They cover games all over VA, especially during playoff time. Each highlight is around 3-4 minutes long. Check them out on YouTube.
Unfortunately, the Cox Sports Report was cut 2 years ago due to cost and lack of sponsorship I believe. They did a very good job with their statewide coverage.

Thanks Mike. I can remember fighting sleep to watch FFE when I was little. The Roanoke/Lynchburg/Danville station..Forget what it was called..Used to have the game of the week on every Friday night with the monotone commentary. FFE’s highlights were at least 2 minutes long and Mike and Roy were hero’s in my eyes..Still are. The good ole days!
The Friday night game replay was done by WDRL with Dave Ross. It shut down several years ago. I believe Dave does a game of the week on Saturday mornings that broadcasts on My19 now.

"The Bruins were 2-4 when Wells started tinkering, most notably moving away from the program’s long tradition of two-platooning its offense and defense. The Bruins were lacking depth, so Wells started having every player practice offensive and defensive positions. Some began playing on both sides of the ball in games, like Wells had done himself while playing quarterback and safety at Richlands (Va.) High."

That's is no where close to the truth, kids in Blacksburg always played both ways before Wells and never onside kicked every time, or went for in on 4th and 40 on your own 20 watch the first game of the 2016 season against Giles . See the crap he brought to Blacksburg.

"The Bruins were 2-4 when Wells started tinkering, most notably moving away from the program’s long tradition of two-platooning its offense and defense. The Bruins were lacking depth, so Wells started having every player practice offensive and defensive positions. Some began playing on both sides of the ball in games, like Wells had done himself while playing quarterback and safety at Richlands (Va.) High."

That's is no where close to the truth, kids in Blacksburg always played both ways before Wells and never onside kicked every time, or went for in on 4th and 40 on your own 20 watch the first game of the 2016 season against Giles . See the crap he brought to Blacksburg.

We’ve always had players play two ways here if they had the ability... so that would be nothing new here either way. We also usually field a varsity roster with usually 70-80 players... so 2 way players isn’t always a need at every position here. He will have plenty of players to choose from either way. I can’t really speak on up there since idk your program all that well. I was more taken aback by the 75 books a year thing lol

Blacksburg is a soccer town and will not support football. Band very seldom every travels to away games and I have heard the the cheerleaders have missed a few. We may be down in Christiansburg but we will be back. You lost a very good coach and Mr. Wells always showed class , when we played them. Go Blue Demons !!
What's the future looking like over in C-Burg? Y'all need to hurry up and get good again lol!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT