ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone have any details on Radford's volleyball win?

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
I see on the VHSL website that the Lady Bobcats finally got the job done on the fifth try and ended Auburn's dynasty. They said that it was a 3-2 victory, but of course that doesn't tell you much, volleyball being what it is. Anyone go that can fill us in?

Hey, VaPrepsRod, are you schooled in volleyball? I am lost when it comes to the finer points of the sport. It is fun to watch, but I don't know the rules at all, and I am not ashamed to tell any one that!
Congratulations to the Radford girls for winning the State D1Volleyball Title. Well done ladies, yes very well done. According to the article, Auburn beat Radford 4 times this year, and had a 2-0 lead in this last match, that was when Radford begin to come back, and won the next 3 games to win the State by a 3-2 margin. I hope I read that right. One thing, that State Title remains in SWVA! I am saying Radford is in SWVA, does that offend anyone?
I AM SWVA PROUD!

Hey, VaPrepsRod, are you schooled in volleyball? I am lost when it comes to the finer points of the sport. It is fun to watch, but I don't know the rules at all, and I am not ashamed to tell any one that!
Congratulations to the Radford girls for winning the State D1Volleyball Title. Well done ladies, yes very well done. According to the article, Auburn beat Radford 4 times this year, and had a 2-0 lead in this last match, that was when Radford begin to come back, and won the next 3 games to win the State by a 3-2 margin. I hope I read that right. One thing, that State Title remains in SWVA! I am saying Radford is in SWVA, does that offend anyone?
I AM SWVA PROUD!

I am quite skilled in volleyball actually.

During my college years, I played on a B-level club team and played at a high recreational level for several years.

Even won MVP of my hometown's biggest tournament back in my youth.

One of my favorite sports actually.

Reactions: Chilwar25
Now we are talking, VaPrepsRod is very knowledgeable about Volleyball. Congrats on your success back in the day!
Radford's State Title win was truly remarkable, IMO. I have no idea how many times these 2 teams met last year, and what was the outcome of their games in 2014. As I said on previous post about Radford HS, when VHSL playoffs roll around, Radford seems to turn things up a notch. Thanks again For for your info on VB. I Bet you have done some HS Officiating?

Now we are talking, VaPrepsRod is very knowledgeable about Volleyball. Congrats on your success back in the day!
Radford's State Title win was truly remarkable, IMO. I have no idea how many times these 2 teams met last year, and what was the outcome of their games in 2014. As I said on previous post about Radford HS, when VHSL playoffs roll around, Radford seems to turn things up a notch. Thanks again For for your info on VB. I Bet you have done some HS Officiating?

No, I've just dabbled in several sports growing up.

My best is bowling, volleyball might be my favorite to play though.

Volleyball is, surprisingly, very fun to watch.

I see on the VHSL website that the Lady Bobcats finally got the job done on the fifth try and ended Auburn's dynasty. They said that it was a 3-2 victory, but of course that doesn't tell you much, volleyball being what it is. Anyone go that can fill us in?
There is something truly wrong when two teams play 5 times in a year. The law of averages says sooner or later the one team is gonna win. what a joke. Also, one of auburns better players forget her jersey and wasnt allowed to play.

There is nothing "wrong" with that. They play twice in regular season games, then they face each other in a conference final and then in a regional final, and finally the state championship. What else would you have them do if they truly ARE the two best teams in the state?

On a related note, I felt sorry for the fans in this one. These two teams are something like 10-12 miles apart, yet they had to make a 200 mile (my estimate) trip to Richmond to play one another. Since I wasn't there, I have no idea but based on last year's volleyball state day, which I did attend, I doubt if there were very many fans there.

So given that, and considering the fact that it was known five days in advance who would be playing, I wonder if VHSL would ever "relax" in such a case and let a state title game be played somewhere that more fans could attend? Can you imagine the atmosphere that game would have had if it had been played at Radford U. or Virginia Tech?

There is nothing "wrong" with that. They play twice in regular season games, then they face each other in a conference final and then in a regional final, and finally the state championship. What else would you have them do if they truly ARE the two best teams in the state?

On a related note, I felt sorry for the fans in this one. These two teams are something like 10-12 miles apart, yet they had to make a 200 mile (my estimate) trip to Richmond to play one another. Since I wasn't there, I have no idea but based on last year's volleyball state day, which I did attend, I doubt if there were very many fans there.

So given that, and considering the fact that it was known five days in advance who would be playing, I wonder if VHSL would ever "relax" in such a case and let a state title game be played somewhere that more fans could attend? Can you imagine the atmosphere that game would have had if it had been played at Radford U. or Virginia Tech?
Well, in a five game series or even a seven game series, auburn would have swept them..lol Give a team enough tries and sooner or later they will win, especially if they are a good team.

Nice thought "in theory" but never going to happen. To book an event and secure staff for something that big would never happen in a week or less unless you paid out the nose.

I'm sure contractually the original event site would still want to get paid as well, along with food vendors etc.

Oh I realize it would be tough, but in the case of volleyball and basketball, the Siegel Center is booked for an extended period of time for a series of games. So if there were advance policies in place and enough time to work out the logistics, I still think it should be possible to move one game to a better location. And the situation I described would only happen on rare occasions.

As for football, say for example that one year the 1-A state title games down in Salem were all planned out for their usual 12:00 and 4:30 kickoffs. But then suppose the final two teams left standing were Essex and Franklin. With a whole week to prepare, the final game could be moved to someplace in the Richmond area and the gate would probably be large enough to offset any losses the other place might suffer. Meanwhile Salem would still have its other game.

Oh I agree it will never happen, and there is plenty to be said for the state finals atmosphere in all sports, but I still feel that the important thing should be to get as many bodies in the seats as possible.

In 2005 when snow covered the field too much at Richmond Stadium, both the 5A and 6A football championship games were moved in less than a week, but both were moved to high school stadiums.

I believe that there was a move in 2006 as well because the 6A game was supposed to be in Hampton but when Chantilly and Osbourn made the finals, the game was played at one of the schools up there (I think, West Springfield)

"Also, one of auburns better players forget her jersey and wasnt allowed to play."

What???

Wasn't this for the State Championship against a major rival no doubt? Maybe should have found that player any jersey to wear.....

"Also, one of auburns better players forget her jersey and wasnt allowed to play."

What???

Wasn't this for the State Championship against a major rival no doubt? Maybe should have found that player any jersey to wear.....
Thats what i said but for some reason you cant do that in volleyball.

It was not one of Auburns better players. She is a great kid who will be an important part of next years team. She played JV all year until playoffs began. She was serving occasionally but not in the normal rotation at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT