ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone have anything football related?

Title pretty much says it... Just getting old hearing about seating and peeing and bleachers etc all day.
I know I'm new to this forum, but I'll put my 2 cents in about the game. I think this game will end up being about which team has the better defense. It seems that people seem to forget that Salem ALSO has a great offense coming into this game. Both teams have been able to score at will this season. I'd give JF the upper hand in terms of points scored obviously but I think Salem and JF are both about equally explosive. With that being said, this game will come down to defense, and I think Salem's defense is much better than JF's defense. If that's the case, I'm picking Salem 38-28.

Reactions: salemfan32
I know I'm new to this forum, but I'll put my 2 cents in about the game. I think this game will end up being about which team has the better defense. It seems that people seem to forget that Salem ALSO has a great offense coming into this game. Both teams have been able to score at will this season. I'd give JF the upper hand in terms of points scored obviously but I think Salem and JF are both about equally explosive. With that being said, this game will come down to defense, and I think Salem's defense is much better than JF's defense. If that's the case, I'm picking Salem 38-28.
Solid case, however I don't see JF only scoring 28. If that were the spread it would have to be more like 58-48 haha

Could be one of those decided by who has ball last. If not it could be decided by a Red Zone stop in final minute.

Ok, here's my football opinion: games with two outstanding offenses are decided by turnovers, special teams, and defense. Salem has an excellent defense. What people don't know from final scores is the 1st string defense of Salem only gave up one touchdown or less in every game. The defense in Salem is disciplined and despite others beliefs they do not "shoot the gap." They are excellent in every position on defense. My opinion is JF's defense isn't as strong. I'm not sure about their special teams, but I would think the punt and kickoff would be similar to their defense. On another note, I know I'm not kicking it to Navy if I'm special teams coach for Salem. I'm aiming at out-of-bounds!

Ok, here's my football opinion: games with two outstanding offenses are decided by turnovers, special teams, and defense. Salem has an excellent defense. What people don't know from final scores is the 1st string defense of Salem only gave up one touchdown or less in every game. The defense in Salem is disciplined and despite others beliefs they do not "shoot the gap." They are excellent in every position on defense. My opinion is JF's defense isn't as strong. I'm not sure about their special teams, but I would think the punt and kickoff would be similar to their defense. On another note, I know I'm not kicking it to Navy if I'm special teams coach for Salem. I'm aiming at out-of-bounds!
Definitely don't kick it to Navy ever.

I've seen JF twice this year and Salem four times (this includes the benefit against each other). This is such a hard game to try and predict because of the explosiveness of BOTH teams. You can think you have them pinned down and either can take off and score 4 or 5 times in a quarter. In the Woodgrove/JF game I watched online, the Wolverines made some good stops and were pretty disciplined on defense, but Jones and Miller-Trent just need a tiny crease to get some separation. Once they got a step on Woodgrove, no one on that defense (or really anyone else this year) was fast enough to even get a hand on them. They both read blocks extremely well, and Jones has a knack for when to "punch it" into another gear. His first few steps are ultra quick as are those off of the cuts he makes. In straightline speed, Clayborne is right with Jones. However, Jones has one-of-a-kind vision and "zip" off of his cuts that IMO, puts him a clear notch above Clayborne as a threat. Add in JF's stout O-Line and offensive plan to conceal and confuse as much as possible, and you get the "score-at-will" 50 or 60 point games they've had. Defensively, JF always makes enough stops to let their offense push games out of reach. I actually was fairly impressed with their D in the Woodgrove game.

For Salem, clearly this comes down to the defensive stops. Salem's defense brings that combination of discipline and speed. IMO, they are much quicker this year. The Ramseys will be difficult to block and I think will push JF more to the inside. Not much has been said about the younger Fox, but in the games I've seen, he's been stellar. He has great instincts and is fast to boot (especially for his size). Salem's secondary is vastly improved from what I saw last year and the beginning of this year. They close much faster, don't over-pursue as much, and are in better position to make a play when the ball is thrown. It may come down to how well the d-line plays. I think Salem is disciplined enough and has the speed to make plays against Miller-Trent and Jones. I don't think they shut them down, but limit them enough to allow Salem a score or two cushion. Salem's offense is incredibly balanced and can score just as quickly as JF. They have 4 or 5 wideouts with great hands and good speed, the exception of course is Tucker who has GREAT speed. Beckley throws a nice ball and is quick enough to elude pressure or take off when he needs to. We all know what Ramsey and Clayborne can do. Again, probably comes down to line play. I look for this game to be back and forth with a chess match between two of the best coaches in the state. To me, it could go either way. However, my gut tells me Salem makes a fourth quarter stop or two that ends up being the difference. One thing is for sure, you can bet on getting your money's worth in this game. I don't care if I have to sit on a rooftop, I'll be there for this one!

JF's D and Salem's O matter so much more than people are letting on. Like JF giving up 540 yards to Amherst when Salem played Amherst twice and gave up 350 yards(160 yards, 190 yards) should be way more of a discussion point than it is currently. If they had played Carroll County Salem would only have scored about 60 points(5ppg) less than JF on the year but they gave up 170 less.

This isn't a strength vs strength, weakness vs weakness matchup. JF has a huge problem on D and if you're looking for a reason why the game may go a certain way it's probably there, not in how JF's O vs Salem's D goes.

The longer Salem controls the ball, i.e. sustaining drives, the better off they will be. The best defense is a good offense, which Salem has. Salem needs to run the football ball and use the clock to their advantage in order to keep JF's offense off the field. The problem is, with JF's defense being as suspect as it is, Salem might not be able to score slowly. They very well could take it to the house in the blink of an eye too.

This one could go either way, IMO.

JF's defense is much better than you all are giving them credit for. It's pretty hilarious actually. Especially since week 8. Held a 2000 yard running back to 60 something yards last week against Woodgrove. Have you seen JF's turnover margin? If Salem throws it 1 yard off target, consider it intercepted. JF has incredible speed on defense. You all are basing your understanding of their defense on last season and the first half of this season. Anybody who was there in either of the playoff games or brookville or magna vista may understand better. Not saying they're full of all Americans but dang folks, it's not a JV squad

I'm basing my logic on JF giving up 286 points in 12 games and allowing multiple teams to shred them, especially on the ground. Salem gave up 119 in 11 games and 6 of the 11 starters are sophomores. Like how else would you like everyone to take that?

Also what logic are you using? "You're all basing your understanding of their defense on last season and the first half of this season" then you talk about the MV game which was played in early September. You don't get to cherry pick a handful of games to make your argument and ignore everything else, that's not how it works.

e: and I nor anyone else is really saying JF's D is trash, all anyone is saying is their D is probably thing with the asterisk here. You guys could blow Salem's doors off for all I know, it's not as though they haven't had good games.

Last edited:
JF's defense is much better than you all are giving them credit for. It's pretty hilarious actually. Especially since week 8. Held a 2000 yard running back to 60 something yards last week against Woodgrove. Have you seen JF's turnover margin? If Salem throws it 1 yard off target, consider it intercepted. JF has incredible speed on defense. You all are basing your understanding of their defense on last season and the first half of this season. Anybody who was there in either of the playoff games or brookville or magna vista may understand better. Not saying they're full of all Americans but dang folks, it's not a JV squad
So what has changed on JF'S defense to make such a turnaround? Players? Experience? Just curious.

Well this has changed about the defense its a new week and they only have to hold the mules for 48 minutes to 1 less point than the JF offense can score.

The defense takes the field each time that electric offense gets off the field, so quick strikes mean the defense will play more minutes than the offense. We keep talking about points allowed what is the TOP of JF vs opponents, the longer your Defense is on the field the more they have to do to keep the opponent out of the end zone.

The more jfcav1 talks about the game the more I think Salem will win in a blowout!

Like I said above, I actually was fairly impressed with the JF's D against Woodgrove. However, the Wolverines still managed 31 points offensively against them. I disagree with your statement "If Salem throws it 1 yard off target, consider it intercepted." That assumes JF is in the back pocket all night against Salem's wideouts. I anticipate that may happen SOME of the time. But those Spartan receivers (including the tight end Pinello) run great routes and often get open aside from the good speed they have. Then there's Tucker. That kid is going to be bigtime! At some point I can almost gaurantee he will get behind the JF defense far more than a yard. You can bank on a bomb from Beckely and even if he under-throws it, Tucker will go get it and probably take it to the house. Just ask Champe (who had an excellent defense) about that.

That was an exaggeration I just meant they've been coming up with a lot of big interceptions the past few games.

Well, I agree here and don't. I've watched JF's last two games also. Their defense has been surprisingly better than advertised. They made a lot of big plays and got turnovers against some very good teams.

That said, let's not exaggerate. 1 yard off target = interception? Exaggeration. Incredible speed on defense? Exaggeration. If you play Lake Taylor, you will suddenly look slow. Remember, it's not about how good you are, it's how good is the other guy. Salem is no slouch either. It will be very difficult for your defense to stop them. They present a very simple package but it's so well balanced and executed, you have to out muscle them up front and that's not going to happen.

This will be a barn burner, IMHO. Maybe even ludicrous numbers but I'll keep this one simple and think JF manages something special with that seemingly unstoppable offense and a defense that's no LT but also seriously underestimated.

JF 49 - Salem 42

You know jones, Miller, Scott, birch, crouch, all play defense? All of them have great speed

You know jones, Miller, Scott, birch, crouch, all play defense? All of them have great speed
I didn't know they played both ways.. That may actually hurt JF in this matchup. They will be on the field all night long and will be playing against guys much fresher than they are. Very few Salem players go both ways. Salem's depth could play an important factor in the outcome of this game.

Reactions: salemfan32
They've been on the field all night long in multiple games. Their conditioning is just fine. They have subs to give them a breather now and then but they play both ways and very effectively

Saw JF Friday against Woodgrove. Probably the most well coached team I've seen in some time. Woodgrove scored 38 on them but JF answered every time. Don't kick the ball to Navy or Miller or else. The most intriguing match up to me is Salem's passing game against JF's secondary. Woodgrove's recievers did a heck of a job getting open and making tough catches to prolong drives and that really kept them in the game. JF secondary was shaky at times but they made plays when they needed to as Birch had (I think) 2 ints in the second half. Also JF did a really good job of slowing down Woodgrove's big RB. He wasn't Ramsey, but he was dang near close. I think Salem has the advantage with Beckley at QB. You already have to account for Ramsey, Clayborne, Tucker, etc. He can throw it and he's mobile and if he plays the way he's been playing these past 12 games, Salem just may be going back to Liberty next week. I won't say it's going to be a Western/Staunton River scoring game, but it'll be a lot of points put up. I wasn't a believer in JF until I saw them play this past Friday. THEY'RE GOOOOOOOOOD. Should be a good one.

JF loves to run ball so much, they may forget they have to also play defense. I would love to see a 35-0 Salem win. But I know that not happen.

Special Teams if you kick it to JF it is a problem, especially deep.

Defensively JF is improving, which is what you want your team to be doing at this stage in the playoffs. JF also plays multiple defensive backs, generally depending on the match-ups and who needs a breather is who is out there playing corner. JF isn't going to be afraid of the Mules, so throw out the oh well what about this player and etc, it will be a team effort on both sides whoever wins and I give the edge to JF bc Salem just isn't that good when they encounter high quality athletes they struggle, you hit salem in the mouth they wither, you have to do it for 48 minutes but if you do Salem is highly beatable especially if you don't drink the cool-aid.

"JF isn't going to be afraid of the Mules, so throw out the oh well what about this player and etc, it will be a team effort on both sides whoever wins and I give the edge to JF bc Salem just isn't that good when they encounter high quality athletes they struggle, you hit salem in the mouth they wither"

That was quite funny to read Rainman, thanks for the laugh. I expect a good tight game with both teams punching each other in the mouth so to speak.

Salem guys quick question. I just watched the Pulaski/Salem game... How did Pulaski go 9-0 before Salem? Not knocking your guys - they clearly took care of business. But do they not play anybody decent in the regular season?

Salem guys quick question. I just watched the Pulaski/Salem game... How did Pulaski go 9-0 before Salem? Not knocking your guys - they clearly took care of business. But do they not play anybody decent in the regular season?
The RRD was really down this year. The district was 28-45, outside of Salem. 4 teams in the district lost 8 games. The other 2 besides Salem & Pulaski finished right at .500. Pulaski's OOD schedule consisted of Franklin Co, Bassett, and Northside. Northside was the only good team on their schedule, outside of Salem. Northside was not as strong this year as they traditionally have been the last 6 years or so. Normally Salem's schedule, if they run the table, is enough to get the 1 seed, but not this year.

Special Teams if you kick it to JF it is a problem, especially deep.

Defensively JF is improving, which is what you want your team to be doing at this stage in the playoffs. JF also plays multiple defensive backs, generally depending on the match-ups and who needs a breather is who is out there playing corner. JF isn't going to be afraid of the Mules, so throw out the oh well what about this player and etc, it will be a team effort on both sides whoever wins and I give the edge to JF bc Salem just isn't that good when they encounter high quality athletes they struggle, you hit salem in the mouth they wither, you have to do it for 48 minutes but if you do Salem is highly beatable especially if you don't drink the cool-aid.
Really? Please give me specific examples where a team has "hit Salem in the mouth" and they've "withered"? And please don't say LT because if you are comparing JF's athletes to LT's you've got another thing coming my friend. Also, do you not consider GW to have high quality athletes? How did that work out for them last year? I agree with you that JF won't be afraid of Salem. However, I can guarantee you that Salem won't be even slightly intimidated by JF.

I would put everything I had on Salem. I think it's going to be a blowout. I say 49-31 but the following week I'll take Lake Taylor. I say Lake Taylor over Coutland 20-7....Championship Lake Taylor over Salem 31-20

I would put everything I had on Salem. I think it's going to be a blowout. I say 49-31 but the following week I'll take Lake Taylor. I say Lake Taylor over Coutland 20-7....Championship Lake Taylor over Salem 31-20
I don't consider that score a blowout. LT vs Courtland may be a blowout for the Titans. We'll see.

I see 4 very good teams that are each worthy of a final bid. Great games this weekend. The diversity of styles is particularly interesting. I think I'll pay the money to see the LT game. I don't pay at the gate but it will cost me an easy $500 to make this trip. Might be worth it. GL to all.

Reactions: Daboyz19
The RRD was really down this year. The district was 28-45, outside of Salem. 4 teams in the district lost 8 games. The other 2 besides Salem & Pulaski finished right at .500. Pulaski's OOD schedule consisted of Franklin Co, Bassett, and Northside. Northside was the only good team on their schedule, outside of Salem. Northside was not as strong this year as they traditionally have been the last 6 years or so. Normally Salem's schedule, if they run the table, is enough to get the 1 seed, but not this year.
Thanks for the rundown Mike, I was just curious. Excited for Friday, your boys look good!

Well I guess I should provide more evidence of what I'm getting at when I speak about the Spartans although I know I'm speaking to essentially closed ears. Not diminishing victories or any accomplishments of the young men who played on these teams but analytically speaking since we are adults...my main point is this when you have exceptional athletes and a physical bunch of guys around them you can give Salem all they want and more. In this area the mules are the PROGRAM been this way for awhile teams model after what has been done tradition is what it is. however I have seen a blueprint and played against salem teams and I know what it is when you see the Mules not a lot of dazzle dazzle but you get what you see. They show up and play football for 48 minutes, you ignored the part about me stating you must play that brand of football of hitting them in the mouth to the point of submitting a victory you. We beat the Mules with Maugs at the helm, so my base of a blueprint isn't terrible.

BUT LET's Look at Salem's losses in 10 years (when they are great at least winning percentage:80)

2014/15 - LT you already know they dominated you from the lines of scrimmage and this made the difference they smacked salem in the mouth all night long

2012/2013 - Heritage Bradley's team may have not dominated you all at the line of scrimmage as emphatically as LT did but they controlled the game from their athletes out athleted salem this night they matched the mules all night long

2009/2010 - Christiansburg beat up on people all year up front and executed with exceptional athletes in space once, they dominated this game.

2007/2008 - ACHS one of those special high school teams that you know just don't come around to often the Mules battled them to the nail but again athlete for athlete amherst out did salem for 48 minutes

2006/2007 - ACHS the year before that special team which was comprised of these guys plus a few veteran seniors the Lancers controlled this game from a physical standpoint all game long, the Mules battled all night with them though but just didn't have enough and got out athleted by a special player making special plays

2005 - STATE CHAMPS
2004 - STATE CHAMPS

Last edited:
Really? Please give me specific examples where a team has "hit Salem in the mouth" and they've "withered"? And please don't say LT because if you are comparing JF's athletes to LT's you've got another thing coming my friend. Also, do you not consider GW to have high quality athletes? How did that work out for them last year? I agree with you that JF won't be afraid of Salem. However, I can guarantee you that Salem won't be even slightly intimidated by JF.

I never said the Mules are going to back down, nor be intimidated. I don't think either team is fearing of one another i'm speaking about being physical at every level and facet of the game. Football is won by the most physical set of guys with some exceptional talent around them to make those plays you need. The post above are my examples to my point i attempted to make.

It's a difference when you have exceptional athletes and a PHYSICAL bunch around them, secondly let's add in coaching to this equation. Several teams have high quality athletes , seen a lot of good football abroad (texas, ga, fla) but the most physical team that executes for 48 minutes wins. I know this game will be a damn good one. This recipe of physical football wins on all levels.

IOWA this year plays a physical brand of football with a couple special skill athletes with damn good coaching is an example of a team who might not do it yearly but this is what they are looking for and when they have it, this is what it looks like.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT