ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone other than Salem still run the I formation?

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Almost everyone is running the spread or wing T. Of course Louisa runs a version of the single wing. With Salem's success you would think some schools would emulate them. I don't think anyone in Roanoke Valley runs the I. Just wondering, what schools out there use it?

William Byrd and Dan River are still primarily I-formation. Liberty-Bedford does a lot of I too.

Didn't see Northside this year. Didn't know they had changed. Byrd always ran a lot of shot gun direct snap runs if I remember correctly.

Galax, Salem, lc bird,, Westfield. Wow. You would think more schools would go to it based on the success of those four schools. Is the spread a fad, like the wishbone was? Maybe the I will recycle in popularity

MBobape1 and I had this discussion last week. I would bet 75% of the teams run a form of the spread now and I think the transition back to a Power I would be difficult. All of the teams mentioned above have run a form of the Power I for years and the players (o lineman) have perfected the blocking schemes. I honestly believe the spread teams would suffer difficulties for a few years, because they have not mastered the blocking techniques necessary to efficiently run these types of offenses. Sound offensive line play is a lost art in college/high school in my opinion. I was watching a talk show last night about lineman and receivers not being ready for the pro game, because the lineman cannot hold blocks and the receivers do not run precise routes. This is a direct link to the spread offenses run in todays game.

YeA, a lot of spread teams don't even get their lineman into a three point stance, they are always in a two point

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT