ADVERTISEMENT

Does Tazewell Middle Have Campgrounds?

lucustookis

VaPreps Varsity
Jul 7, 2007
Bull Island, VA
Even though close to Graham, I'm not even sure this is a home game for Graham as I can only imagine how many fans GC will bring the morning of. That line will form a long, long time before start time.

Should be a great game. Graham certainly appears to play great defense.

So GC/Graham will be at Tazwell Middle?

Don't know. Read that on this board as a likely scenario if Graham were to beat Martinsville.

I think the VHSL may come into play here and force a larger venue. I think Graham should do everything in its power to play this game at that National Guard gym in Bluefield, WV, to force somekind of a home court advantage. Even Blacksburg or Radford takes that away. Going back to Wise is like a home game for GC, or if neutral, it's more friendly to GC than Graham I would imagine. I would force GC to travel to a weird place like Bluefield, WV. Dont know if Graham can do that, but I would try it. Also, its not like the VHSL can argue that it's not possible to play outside of the state of VA. Grahams been doing it for years for their home games and playoff home games. Not just years..........decades. Google says the place holds 3500 (the gym in Bluefield, WV). Graham would be smart to try and move it there in my opinion.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I’d bet a lot of money on this game being played some where other than Tazewell

Well GC hasn't played a good game yet in wise so it may be in their minds, who knows!!

If Tazewell and Bluefield WV don't work, then Cassell Coliseum would be cool and the arena will not be half full. It will be likely 3/4ths full. Ryan4VT had mentioned the Radford vs MVille game would have been better served by being played at VT. I imagine most folks likely felt that way, but I absolutely hate a half empty arena. Being a big NCAA fan, the first weekends of the NCAA in March and the bowlgames in football are so unappealing to watch in person. But, for Graham and Martinsville, the stage is bigger. It's the final four. People now realize Graham is the real deal. The legend of Mac grows more, and it's a rematch of a newly laser focused GC team. Thus game will bring 6000 plus, so it's about 2/3rds full at least, and cost effectiveness would support it at Cassell. It needs to be at Cassell.

Last edited:
Sat beside the vhsl rep at the scorers table tonight. Everything is being done to try and move the game to a bigger venue. I would imagine that talks are going on as we speak between vhsl, Graham and Gate City. Was told that if Martinsville would have won that efforts were being made to play the game at Salem civic center.

Graham's put together 3 really nice games at UVA-Wise, I know it's a haul but I would consider it. This time of year you go with what's working and them playing in Wise is what's working

Different variables this time. There aren't as many fan bases at the venue. In the regional contests, there were multiple games at that facility that day, and even more than 1 game today. This somewhat diluted an "away" atmosphere venue for Graham and made it somewhat neutral. With GC vs Graham, it's down to two teams......one game. The game is bigger this time. It will truly be a "home" game for GC, or something close to it with its proximity to Wise.

Additionally on a Tuesday and not a Saturday like Grahams last two appearances there, GC fans have the advantage of getting off work at 5, and driving a short distance and getting in line and buying up the tickets. Graham Fans, traveling from Bluefield dont have that luxury on a Tuesday. Even with an allotment, no extra tickets for the general public would be in the hands of Graham Fans. The fan base support would be 80+ percent GC. It's just hard to justify that for a team that's supposed to be hosting.

The right thing to do is to play the game at the National Guard Base in Bluefield, WV which holds 3500. The VHSL should allow this, and pay the rental fee, then the proceeds go to the VHSL if that's possible. Mac draws a crowd, but Mac also Lost to Graham a week ago. They are the visitors and traveling team because they lost. I hope the VHSL doesnt lose sight of that in an effort to appease fans, by diluting a home court advantage for Graham. If not Bluefield, WV, then Cassell would be cool, but keep in mind the VHSL pays that rental fee and its a big one. Also, keep in mind its a Tuesday night, not a Saturday night.

Last edited:
Different variables this time. There aren't as many fan bases at the venue. In the regional contests, there were multiple games at that facility that day, and even more than 1 game today. This somewhat diluted an "away" atmosphere venue for Graham and made it somewhat neutral. With GC vs Graham, it's down to two teams......one game. The game is bigger this time. It will truly be a "home" game for GC, or something close to it with its proximity to Wise.

Additionally on a Tuesday and not a Saturday like Grahams last two appearances there, GC fans have the advantage of getting off work at 5, and driving a short distance and getting in line and buying up the tickets. Graham Fans, traveling from Bluefield dont have that luxury on a Tuesday. Even with an allotment, no extra tickets for the general public would be in the hands of Graham Fans. The fan base support would be 80+ percent GC. It's just hard to justify that for a team that's supposed to be hosting.

The right thing to do is to play the game at the National Guard Base in Bluefield, WV which holds 3500. The VHSL should allow this, and pay the rental fee, then the proceeds go to the VHSL if that's possible. Mac draws a crowd, but Mac also Lost to Graham a week ago. They are the visitors and traveling team because they lost. I hope the VHSL doesnt lose sight of that in an effort to appease fans, by diluting a home court advantage for Graham. If not Bluefield, WV, then Cassell would be cool, but keep in mind the VHSL pays that rental fee and its a big one. Also, keep in mind its a Tuesday night, not a Saturday night.

I'm confused. This gym you said in WV holds 3500, but you said 6000+ would come. That doesn't make sense why they would have the game there if that is the anticipated crowd. They should try to have the game as close to Graham as possible that can hold the bigger crowd?

I dont know where GC played yesterday (Radford maybe?) And there was pre sale tickets according to people on here, and there was still a lot turned away, and there looked to be huge lines in morning, so people will line up on a work day (They proved it yesterday.)

If it did get moved to Wise there are multiple games there Tuesday as well... Right now the schedule for Wise on Tuesday is:

5:00 Class 2 Girls Wise Central vs. Virginia High
6:30 Class 1 Girls Eastside vs. Parry McCluer
8:00 Class 1 Boys Eastside vs. George Wythe

The gym in WV holds 3500 according to the county website for that location. If they play in WV, 3500 will get in, not 6000, but if played at Cassell in Blacksburg, I think they get 6000. GC and Radford played at Dedmond Center, Radford U. It was packed beyond capacity with nearly 4000 and 1000 had to be turned away. So yes, with it being a final four game and a rematch, I think they get 6000 for Cassell because people know they are getting in the gym

In my opinion, you still have a team that won the first meeting and should have some form of a home court advantage. You balance this while also trying to make sure the venue is much larger than a normal sized gym, but I don't think that means the standard should be the gym has to be large enough to seat everyone who wants to come. Otherwise, why not have it on TV for all who want to watch? Why not just hold it at the Dean Dome? I don't like using hyperbole, but my point is, you have to consider cost and at least some form of home court advantage for the host team. I think that balance is the gym in WV. Graham High sets a couple of miles from the WV border and this gym is like 6 miles from Graham High School.

If it did get moved to Wise there are multiple games there Tuesday as well... Right now the schedule for Wise on Tuesday is:

5:00 Class 2 Girls Wise Central vs. Virginia High
6:30 Class 1 Girls Eastside vs. Parry McCluer
8:00 Class 1 Boys Eastside vs. George Wythe

If it were moved, I would think it would be Radford or Cassell over Wise. I think Wise and Dedmon hold roughly the same, but much closer to Graham compared to GC. If this game is moved from Tazewell Middle and they don't play it in Bluefield, WV, gym, I would think that Cassell Coliseum would be the likely venue due to the volume of people that would show or be expected to show.

That number seems inflated to me but who knows. Tazewell does have a second level that has bleachers that are almost never pulled out so maybe 3,500 is right.

Will it be hard to get tickets if it’s held at a HS or MS?? People were lined up at RU by 4:30 on Friday. I say it would be great to have more tickets than you need rather than not enough. Have it at VT and that way when you go to Richmond to play, you will be ready for a larger venue.

The gym in WV holds 3500 according to the county website for that location. If they play in WV, 3500 will get in, not 6000, but if played at Cassell in Blacksburg, I think they get 6000. GC and Radford played at Dedmond Center, Radford U. It was packed beyond capacity with nearly 4000 and 1000 had to be turned away. So yes, with it being a final four game and a rematch, I think they get 6000 for Cassell because people know they are getting in the gym

In my opinion, you still have a team that won the first meeting and should have some form of a home court advantage. You balance this while also trying to make sure the venue is much larger than a normal sized gym, but I don't think that means the standard should be the gym has to be large enough to seat everyone who wants to come. Otherwise, why not have it on TV for all who want to watch? Why not just hold it at the Dean Dome? I don't like using hyperbole, but my point is, you have to consider cost and at least some form of home court advantage for the host team. I think that balance is the gym in WV. Graham High sets a couple of miles from the WV border and this gym is like 6 miles from Graham High School.

I understand now I think. But I would think that since they aren't "home" games, that what VHSL would want to do is have the most attendance as possible. They aren't home games right, but home area? That's why Lee played at Wilson and not Lee correct?

3500 vs 6000 is a BIG difference. That limits fans from both schools, and neutral fans also

Reactions: Ryan4VT
Agree, Dedmond at Radford holds roughly 3800 to 4000, Wise at UVa-Wise holds roughly the same as Dedmond. So, with Tazewell holding 3500, I assume the VHSL is ok with it there. The only venue to hold an amount to accomodate 6000 is Cassell. I don't think the VHSL wants to pay that fee, so playing it at Tazewell is something the VHSL is ok with. I was surprised to hear this gym holds that much. 3500 is a huge High School gym.

I went to get my son THURS since VT is on Spring Break. I saw a road sign and Beamer Way South will be closed all week. It makes sense to have it at VT since the are on Spring Break!!

Even though close to Graham, I'm not even sure this is a home game for Graham as I can only imagine how many fans GC will bring the morning of. That line will form a long, long time before start time.

Should be a great game. Graham certainly appears to play great defense.

They wont be allowed on school. grounds while school is in session.

Tazewell middle holds at least as much as the Brushfork Armory. I would say 3500 is about right.

Looking on the VHSL, it's listed at 3200. If you scroll through this list, it appears that this is one of the largest High School/Middle School on campus gyms in the state of Virginia. As a matter of fact, I couldn't find more than 5 High Schools in the state of Virginia that holds more. Sounds like a nice venue. That Brushyfork Army Gym in Bluefield, WV, is listed by Mercer County, WV as 3500. Don't know how accurate it is or the VHSL directory.

For example, Hampton High and other Hampton City schools play at Darling Stadium in football, but one school lists 10,000 and another 8500. Back in SwVa, Narrows High lists their football stadium at 6000 and Grundy High lists as 6500. I've been to both for wrestling events and unless they added 3000 seats to each stadium, theres no way either of them hold that. So, I question the accuracy of the VHSL directory.

As somebody who has been in Tazewell Middles gym abiut 100 times. I can tell you for sure that it holds about 3200 or more. Standing room for the 2nd level, probably closer to 4000.

Its a done deal. Graham High will sell 1000 tickets and GC will sell 1000 tickets. The remaining 1200 will be sold online. NO tickets will be sold at the GATE. Graham earned home court advantage. If GC fans want to complain. ....then they should have won last saturday.....Also...if you show up before school is dismissed. You will be asked to leave.

If you dont show up with ticket in hand you will be turned away.

Sounds like a cool gym and great place to host an event. The 1000 online is going to be a "virtual" war. How fast will those go? I'm wagering less than 1 hour. I'm heading to watch Central and Lee. Hopefully, the NFHS online high school internet streaming site doesn't let me down again. After 3 minutes in, I cut it off. I've watched many live events on that site over the years with no issues until recently.

If GC fans want to complain. ....then they should have won last saturday.[/QUOTE]
Where have you seen GC fans complaining? The only thing people are saying is play in a big gym. TMS sounds big enough and yes Graham earned to play wherever they want this year. Just because people are saying play at VT or something doesn't mean they are complaining or they're automatically GC fans.

I wish Graham Fans or Gate City fans would have wrote on this board how much Tazewell hold's a week ago. If folks would have known it holds 32-35 hundred, there would have been less discussion. I do and still hold to this.....you don't automatically hold an event at a place that can accommodate everyone that wants to see the game Without Balancing the host teams home court advantage. Meaning.......you can't move it so far away to where the team that earned the home court advantage no longer has one. The fans are important, but the players who did the work over the season did more work and you error on the side of the players having somekind of a home court advantage.

I think it was wrong for Graham to play Martinsville at Wise, Regardless of them winning. Two hours away for the home team simply isn't right. I think the VHSL got it right with Graham vs GC. You got a 3000 plus gym, but you keep a home court advantage and very little travel for Graham.

Reactions: Buc101 and 19GHS87
Sounds like a cool gym and great place to host an event. The 1000 online is going to be a "virtual" war. How fast will those go? I'm wagering less than 1 hour. I'm heading to watch Central and Lee. Hopefully, the NFHS online high school internet streaming site doesn't let me down again. After 3 minutes in, I cut it off. I've watched many live events on that site over the years with no issues until recently.

Tickets have been on sale since this morning on VHSL website, I bought mine around 2pm and they weren’t sold out yet. I don’t think NFHS is streaming this game, it’s not listed on their site.

Tickets have been on sale since this morning on VHSL website, I bought mine around 2pm and they weren’t sold out yet. I don’t think NFHS is streaming this game, it’s not listed on their site.

Online ticket sales are stopped until noon tomorrow

They were not supposed to be released for sale until tomorrow....

Which is concerning in one regard. It appears there is already a communication issue with the public as to when the tickets were to go on sale. If some of the tickets did sale today, did one fanbase know about this and not the other? Not saying that is the case, but it would be crazy if Gate City fans knew and Graham fans didn't. That could make it a possible GC home game, lol, since Graham gets 1000 and GC gets 1000, and the remaining 1200 sold online being bought up mostly by GC fans. Graham might as well move it to Wise, lol.

They were not supposed to be released for sale until tomorrow....

Which is concerning in one regard. It appears there is already a communication issue with the public as to when the tickets were to go on sale. If some of the tickets did sale today, did one fanbase know about this and not the other? Not saying that is the case, but it would be crazy if Gate City fans knew and Graham fans didn't. That could make it a possible GC home game, lol, since Graham gets 1000 and GC gets 1000, and the remaining 1200 sold online being bought up mostly by GC fans. Graham might as well move it to Wise, lol.

I bought mine around noon. I was told they were on sale by someone who has family working at Graham High, but I had to find the link on the VHSL website so it’s not like it was a big secret of anything.

Gate City and Graham’s twitter accounts started circulating the link to buy tickets around 5 p.m. but it only lasted a few hours before they quit selling them and said you had to wait until noon tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT