ADVERTISEMENT

Does Vhsl football west of Richmond get enough respect?

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
This is not the little man vs big man competition or even trying to stir up controversy because everybody knows that because of population centers most of the time there will be more division one athletes out of these areas. Northern Va is the most populous followed by Hampton roads and then Richmond area. If you took the entire population of western va , that is about Lynchburg west it would equal about half of Richmond msa. That being said , at least from 1a to 4a the western areas hold up very well. I think everybody assumed that as the teams that were playing up in the population centers decreased those teams would take over, especially in 3a and 4a.. They won a couple of championships and that will continue at times. Think about it and the sheer numbers of great teams in 3a and 4a from Lynchburg west is crazy. I am not stating that they will win the state championship this year because that has to be played out and there is a difference between one top team and many very good teams.
Heritage
Brookville
E.C. Glass
G.w. Danville
Jefferson Forest
Salem
Northside
Lord Botetourt
William Byrd
Blacksburg
Pulaski County
Not to mention you have some very good or great teams in 2a and 1a like Glenvar and Appoomattox and Union. The sheer numbers do not lie.

I honestly wish Sherando was located in Southwest VA, maybe it would get a little more respect. Do they deserve the respect of schools like Salem, Dinwiddie, etc.? No, but they are left out of a lot of conversations! Hate being in the Northwestern District

I honestly wish Sherando was located in Southwest VA, maybe it would get a little more respect. Do they deserve the respect of schools like Salem, Dinwiddie, etc.? No, but they are left out of a lot of conversations! Hate being in the Northwestern District
I agree. Sherando is kind of in no man's land for respectable VHSL football. I'll be honest though, I think the reason Sherando gets left out of the conversation as a top program is because they have had poor performances in big games come playoff time in the past.

Careful what ya wish for, really think they could compete with those teams?

I agree. Sherando is kind of in no man's land for respectable VHSL football. I'll be honest though, I think the reason Sherando gets left out of the conversation as a top program is because they have had poor performances in big games come playoff time in the past.

I'll say this for Sherando: I can't speak for the 90s teams since I wasn't old enough to know what a football was at the time, but the 2007 Amherst and 2013 Dinwiddie teams are generally agreed upon to be two of the best 4A/AA teams to ever play. There's no shame in having lost to either of them.

As for scheduling, yeah it could be tougher. The Northwestern District hasn't been good top-to-bottom in a very long time and doesn't have a particularly bright future if you ask me. That said, there are enough good teams around that Sherando could easily play as tough a schedule as the SWVA teams do, or even tougher. The problem is that we could easily schedule ourselves out of the playoffs by doing so, like Woodgrove might have done this year and Sherando did in 2016.

Only six teams make it in Region C. If we played Broad Run, North Stafford, and Stone Bridge to open the season, and then Martinsburg later in the season, the odds of making the playoffs would be quite low (though I think this year's Sherando team could play with any 5A school from Loudoun). I'd still rather be playing Tuscarora or Briar Woods than Loudoun Valley and Broadway though.

Also no, I don't want to move Sherando to SWVA. They can keep their hot weather and hurricanes to themselves. :p

Dinwiddie isn't exactly next door to Salem...

Eastern View is a little over an hour from Sherando.
There are plenty of perennial top flight teams within 2 hrs of Sherando high school.

I'll say this for Sherando: I can't speak for the 90s teams since I wasn't old enough to know what a football was at the time, but the 2007 Amherst and 2013 Dinwiddie teams are generally agreed upon to be two of the best 4A/AA teams to ever play. There's no shame in having lost to either of them.

As for scheduling, yeah it could be tougher. The Northwestern District hasn't been good top-to-bottom in a very long time and doesn't have a particularly bright future if you ask me. That said, there are enough good teams around that Sherando could easily play as tough a schedule as the SWVA teams do, or even tougher. The problem is that we could easily schedule ourselves out of the playoffs by doing so, like Woodgrove might have done this year and Sherando did in 2016.

Only six teams make it in Region C. If we played Broad Run, North Stafford, and Stone Bridge to open the season, and then Martinsburg later in the season, the odds of making the playoffs would be quite low (though I think this year's Sherando team could play with any 5A school from Loudoun). I'd still rather be playing Tuscarora or Briar Woods than Loudoun Valley and Broadway though.

Also no, I don't want to move Sherando to SWVA. They can keep their hot weather and hurricanes to themselves. :p
SWVA is full of mountains and not generally hot. The mountains also break up the hurricanes.

Would love to see Tuscarora and Briar Woods on the schedule! What year did you graduate?

I agree 100% with the Amherst and Dinwiddie comments. Both of those teams were unreal. They and the 2012 Briar Woods team are my top three 4A/AA teams in my lifetime (I was born in the 80's). Heck, that 2012 Briar Woods team was one of the best high school teams I've seen regardless of classification or state.

if by "respect" you mean they don't get a great deal of hype and coverage you maybe correct.
So folks from that area need to hype them since you are closer to the action. The west and southwest are hyped on the C1, and C2 boards. The others not so much - so @freeatlast2013 have at it.

It may have been closer, but I think Amherst still wins by a decent margin. Just my unbiased opinion though
I can see your point and respect it for sure. Being at the game, Sherando was up 10-7 with the ball when Metheny went down with an injuring. I think it would have been a high scoring affair regardless. Maybe 42-31. Injuries are unfortunate but common, so we will never know what it would’ve been like.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT