ADVERTISEMENT

Does VHSL Reference Ever Update?

Aug 11, 2008
Have seen several people on here discuss VR as a very informational site. Not sure how since it hasn't been updated and we are 3/4 of the way through the season. I like the info, but there nothing usable for this season.

Until last year, VHSL-Reference would update every two to three weeks during the regular season, and then weekly during the playoffs. Last year, I remember they had a banner at the top of the page about how they were in serious need of sponsors. I’m pretty sure they were having funding issues. If I recall correctly, last season, they were only able to update it a few times. The final update was done way after the season concluded; seems like it might’ve been March, or even April.

So, they used to update regularly, but I’m guessing problems with funding have greatly curtailed what they are able to do. Pity, too. Their rating system is about the only objective method we have for comparing teams statewide, especially since GilliamRatings shut down.

Up until 6 am every Friday night/Saturday morning.
I'm not sure that you are the person responsible for this remarkable site, but please accept my gratitude if you are.

Recently, we hosted a homecoming for the very first Dinwiddie football team, (1965). Part of the motivation for this gathering came from your site.

The information you have worked so hard to compile, gave root to a lot of wonderful memories for these guys. The Dinwiddie community thanks you.

I'm not sure that you are the person responsible for this remarkable site, but please accept my gratitude if you are.

Recently, we hosted a homecoming for the very first Dinwiddie football team, (1965). Part of the motivation for this gathering came from your site.

The information you have worked so hard to compile, gave root to a lot of wonderful memories for these guys. The Dinwiddie community thanks you.
Yes I have done the majority of the research. Started off with WV in 2008 and VA somewhere around 2014. I am still working on VA for early schools most of which no longer exist.

We all are indebted to Rick for his dedicated work. We all appreciate his willingness to share his hours of work with us.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
The only issue I ever had about VHSL-Reference was simply its name. So many people thought it was a Virginia High School League maintained site even though there was a disclaimer on the site saying it was not. Yes, I recall maybe a couple years ago that the site said it was in need of sponsors to continue. It's a shame because that site was filled with worthwhile info.

Yes I have done the majority of the research. Started off with WV in 2008 and VA somewhere around 2014. I am still working on VA for early schools most of which no longer exist.
Like stated by RedPride and NND, what you have provided, to so many, and at no cost, is beyond our simple thank you.

What it has done for many is to reawaken memories of past glory. Many in my older generation enjoyed athletics during our heyday, but they were not well documented and thus, not much information is available.

If you could have seen the smiles on the faces of our 65' team, I think you would have been proud of what your hard work has produced. All of us across the state owe you a debt of gratitude that we can't possibly repay.

If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, I wood love the opportunity to meet you and take you to dinner. And if you happen to be in our area on a fall Friday night, and we are playing at home, you will be our guest of honor, and can enjoy the game from the friendly confines of our humble press booth.

Thank you again.

Like stated by RedPride and NND, what you have provided, to so many, and at no cost, is beyond our simple thank you.

What it has done for many is to reawaken memories of past glory. Many in my older generation enjoyed athletics during our heyday, but they were not well documented and thus, not much information is available.

If you could have seen the smiles on the faces of our 65' team, I think you would have been proud of what your hard work has produced. All of us across the state owe you a debt of gratitude that we can't possibly repay.

If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, I wood love the opportunity to meet you and take you to dinner. And if you happen to be in our area on a fall Friday night, and we are playing at home, you will be our guest of honor, and can enjoy the game from the friendly confines of our humble press booth.

Thank you again.

I did slip into Dinwiddie in July and take a few pictures of the stadium. Two of them are now on the spreadsheet.

I did slip into Dinwiddie in July and take a few pictures of the stadium. Two of them are now on the spreadsheet.

I also sent you one I took at Dinwiddie when Salem played there last year. I think you had it on Dinwiddie’s page, when I last looked at it.

I used it until I could get some of my own when the stadium was empty. Now I could use could pics inside an empty Salem Stadium. I can usually find a way in a stadium but they have it locked up like Ft Knox.

I just looked at VHSL-Reference.com. There is a big banner at the top which reads, “2019 Updates Coning Soon!” I hadn’t noticed that banner when I last visited the site, which was probably a week to ten days ago.

I just looked at VHSL-Reference.com. There is a big banner at the top which reads, “2019 Updates Coning Soon!” I hadn’t noticed that banner when I last visited the site, which was probably a week to ten days ago.
Actually I noticed that like 2 weeks ago. It's a good source when they update it. I like the 4 seasons football site too. I can't even begin to imagine the work that would go into that endeavor.

ADVERTISEMENT