ADVERTISEMENT

Don't be fooled 5A is the most exciting right now.

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
Bird having won three straight titles is covering up a fact about 5A that I think we must reiterate. This classification may have more contenders than any other each year when the season starts.

Bird has gotten through the playoffs the last three years, but many of their games have been close. They have not run "rough shod" through the playoffs for sure.

Anyone who's watched their state title games has got to feel Briar Woods and Tuscarora are right there with them, at the very least. North Stafford and Massaponax are consistent contenders as is Stone Bridge and Broad Run. Throw in Hermitage, Highland Springs, Henrico, Meadowbrook and Varina dropping down from 6A, all teams who have given Bird fits during their run, and Salem who has played within one score of Bird two years in a row and we're talking about a wide open classification. Kecoughtan coming in also adds a little more competition for Salem, as does the rise of Norview. I don't know about anyone else, but I never will count Hampton out.

That's a lot more teams that feel "capable" of winning a title than just about any other class I look at. Being a fan of 5A is a lot of fun, and I hope Bird's streak doesn't make people ignore the class. That would be a mistake.

And the crazy thing about it, there was a time Bird couldn't get over the h

Win its district, make the playoffs, but couldn't get the ring, chasing everyone else, but then it broke through.

Re: And the crazy thing about it, there was a time Bird couldn't get over the h

Coaching, coaching, coaching!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT