ADVERTISEMENT

Double foul?

C

Cougardave

I was watching a game last week, and on one trip down the court the player with the ball (call him player A) went through a player (call him player B) towards the basket. Understand when I say "went through him" I mean he went to dribble around the player who was not set, and the player who was not set was blocking him by being in the way.

Two refs blew the whistle. The first ref called blocking on player B. That was what I thought was the call, as player B was not set and impeded the movement of player A. The second ref came in and called a foul on player A, saying that AFTER the original blocking foul by player B happened, player A bumped into another player (call him player C) who was set.

After all three officials got together, the head official got both head coaches together and let them know that BOTH players (A and B) would be assessed a foul, with possesion of the ball going to the team of player B and C since that was the last foul called.

Shouldnt the second foul have been uncalled, since the first whistle would have blown play dead? If the play is dead, other than some kind of obvious unsportsman like conduct or something wouldnt everything else be uncalled?

Personally, I would have called the foul on player B for blocking. If there was a question about which foul came first (which there wasnt) then I would have said no foul, jump ball to decide possesion.

Strange play.

It's not a double foul. A double foul occurs when two players found each other. Had one official called a block and a second official called a charge and it was two players fouling each other, that would be a double foul.

If player A were an airborne shooter, he could be fouled by player B and then foul player C. That's because a foul on an airborne shooter does not cause the ball to become dead. That would be a false double foul, where a foul occurs, the clock stops, and another foul occurs before the clock restarts.

If player A was not airborne, then you would be correct. The foul by player A would be ingored since it was not intentional or flagrant.

Simple, eh.

Real simple FBref. I try to to put myself or crew in situations like that.
eek.gif

CougarDave, if this was a play that happened in the Pulaski County-Radford game, I believe it was the dreaded "blarge", where two officials had differing opinions at the same time. One had a block, the other had a charge. While officials try to avoid this by withholding their hand signals a second, it happens. A rule is in place to cover such occurrences, however, where both players are charged with a foul, which is what that crew came up with. My only question about it was, if the player was in the act of shooting and had released the ball prior to contact, that the basket should count (if it went in) I don't think they counted it that night, but not sure because of the scoreboard problem they were having.
Don't know if that was the play you were talking about.

Originally posted by gymrat10:
My only question about it was, if the player was in the act of shooting and had released the ball prior to contact, that the basket should count (if it went in) I don't think they counted it that night, but not sure because of the scoreboard problem they were having.
Don't know if that was the play you were talking about.

Yes, the basket counts. The foul by the shooter is not a player control foul in that situation. it's part of a double foul, so the basket would count.

Yes, I thought it would, I just couldn't remember if they had counted it at the time. Also, if it did go, other team would get ball on point of interruption, which would be for an OOB throw in on baseline, just like after any other made basket. Possession arrow not used and remains unchanged.

Originally posted by gymrat10:
Yes, I thought it would, I just couldn't remember if they had counted it at the time. Also, if it did go, other team would get ball on point of interruption, which would be for an OOB throw in on baseline, just like after any other made basket. Possession arrow not used and remains unchanged.

Yep.
This post was edited on 1/30 6:09 PM by FBRef

If you want to find out what you do not know about a sport. Try the officiating. Everyone in the stands thinks they know more than the officials.
3dsmile.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT