ADVERTISEMENT

Early favorites for next year.

Dec 6, 2016
Glass should be loaded next year. They return KENDRICK, foster, Fretz, wheat, MERRIMAN, Hager, Paige, Just to name a few could be a special season.

Reactions: lyhsports
Salem will return Jr RB Isiah Persinger 1761 yards and also SO RB Zavione Wood 679 yards and bruising FB Bobby Pinello who is 240 Ib. Their Jv team completed an undefeated year once again. They also return Jr WR Chance Ferris, So WR 6-2 Shawn Collins, SO WR brothers Jaden and Jordan McDonald 6-3 and 6-2. Their receivers will get better. The big question mark will be QB , where they had an underclassman finish against Dinwiddie and play whole game against Northside but competition will come from the JV QB from what I understand. Salem lost 4 games for the first time in awile, by 8 to Northside, by 7 to Dinwiddie, by 3 to Blacksburg and 2 to Jefferson Forest. I think they will be competitive again. The off season and weight room will determine a lot.

Last edited:
Salem will return Jr RB Isiah Persinger 1761 yards and also SO RB Zavione Wood 679 yards and bruising FB Bobby Pinello who is 240 Ib. Their Jv team completed an undefeated year once again. They also return Jr WR Chance Ferris, So WR 6-2 Shawn Collins, SO WR brothers Jaden and Jordan McDonald 6-3 and 6-2. Their receivers will get better. The big question mark will be QB , where they had an underclassman finish against Dinwiddie and play whole game against Northside but competition will come from the JV QB from what I understand. Salem lost 4 games for the first time in awile, by 8 to Northside, by 7 to Dinwiddie, by 3 to Blacksburg and 2 to Jefferson Forest. I think they will be competitive again. The off season and weight room will determine a lot.
Whom ever their next QB is, they had better be mobile if Salem hopes to improve. Their QB the past 2 seasons was basically a statue. Unless you have a future Peyton Manning or Tom Brady playing QB, you need a mobile QB at the high school level to succeed. Most of this years state champs had QB's who were equally adept at running or passing.

Last edited:
Glass should be loaded next year. They return KENDRICK, foster, Fretz, wheat, MERRIMAN, Hager, Paige, Just to name a few could be a special season.
Don’t forget about Mac Johnson. Got over shadowed some this year because he’s “undersized” but the kid is a ball player. Fast enough to score any time he touches the ball and had 5 INTS on defense.

Reactions: lyhsports
Whom ever their next QB is, they had better be mobile if Salem hopes to improve. Their QB the past 2 seasons was basically a statue. Unless you have a future Peyton Manning or Tom Brady playing QB, you need a mobile QB at the high school level to succeed. Most of this years state champs had QB's who were equally adept at running or passing.

Well there was only 6 of them lol;):p:D

I do not think you have to have a running QB. I think you can make the playoffs and possibly go to the next round without an effective passing game. If you can pass like Woodgrove did he does not need to run. Tom Brady does not run. It is not all about the scheme but the execution.

I do not think you have to have a running QB. I think you can make the playoffs and possibly go to the next round without an effective passing game. If you can pass like Woodgrove did he does not need to run. Tom Brady does not run. It is not all about the scheme but the execution.
You may be missing my point. Of course Tom Brady doesn't have to run, because he is a great "passing" QB. Salem didn't have a great or even a good passing attack. All defenses had to do when the QB dropped back to pass, was just cover the receivers because QB was no threat to run. Defenses could double team your best receiver and not have to put a spy to cover QB.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
SALEM SALEM SALEM. They will be back in the finals mark my words.

Salem will have the backup quarterback from last year, Hunter Chaney, who will be a Jr next year. He was the JV quarterback for some games, but also started on Varsity for a game and a half when Gladden was injured. He was 205 lbs as a Sophomore, and can play LB as well.

They also have Jeffrey Phillips, a rising Soph. He was the QB at ALMS in 8th grade. He played at CB as a freshman, starting when Jayden McDonald went out with an injury. He was listed at 126 last year, so he is obviously smaller, but quicker, more mobile, and is very tough regardless of weight.

Generally, the QB for Salem doesn't play any other positions, so the coaches will have to decide who is most valuable and where.

There may be other candidates as well. These are the 2 that come to mind.

4 finals in a row featuring 3 different QBs. You don't need a future HoF QB to win without a mobile QB that's hilariously wrong. All he has to do is be as competent as the rest of your pieces.

4 finals in a row featuring 3 different QBs. You don't need a future HoF QB to win without a mobile QB that's hilariously wrong. All he has to do is be as competent as the rest of your pieces.
coullin
Glad you brought that up.
2014 - QB - Coulling - "NOT" mobile - got thrashed
2015 -QB - Beckley - Mobile - Won
2016 - QB - Beckley - Mobile - Won
2017 - QB - Gladden - not mobile *Blessed with great receiver Tucker & great running back Ramsey* Only reason they got by without mobile QB

Reactions: MaroonandGold29
coullin

Glad you brought that up.
2014 - QB - Coulling - "NOT" mobile - got thrashed
2015 -QB - Beckley - Mobile - Won
2016 - QB - Beckley - Mobile - Won
2017 - QB - Gladden - not mobile *Blessed with great receiver Tucker & great running back Ramsey* Only reason they got by without mobile QB

"The only reason they won was because of other good parts of the offense" wow amazing no kidding holy cow what a revelation. It's almost like you don't need a mobile QB or the "next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady" to win state, like I said the first time. Did ya hear that guys? Apparently if you have really good WRs and RBs it means your QB doesn't have to be a future Hall of Famer! Whew, I bet you can hear the sighs of relief running throughout the city of Salem.

Oh and just for fun:

2014 - gave up 41 points, that's why they lost
2015 - Beckley 102 yards of total offense, D gave up 14 points, you decide why they won
2016 - Beckley 300 yards of total offense w/ 3 TDs, that's why they won
2017 - nobody stopped Ramsey, Louisa threw 4 picks

It's almost like QB is only a part of the equation or something.

"The only reason they won was because of other good parts of the offense" wow amazing no kidding holy cow what a revelation. It's almost like you don't need a mobile QB or the "next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady" to win state, like I said the first time. Did ya hear that guys? Apparently if you have really good WRs and RBs it means your QB doesn't have to be a future Hall of Famer! Whew, I bet you can hear the sighs of relief running throughout the city of Salem.
Finally, you are seeing things my way. Thanks

Its amazing, when you have good players you win, whether that is a mobile QB or not. You brought up state championships, well there is 6 of them, can you get a little bigger sample size? btw, Riverheads didn't need one. Graham and Heritage had them, sure looked to me that Woodgrove QB was more power than mobile. Dont know about HS or Manchester

Eastern View should contend for the region title again. I expect Leake to have a great senior year if he can avoid the injuries. Hatfield has a great system in place that just keeps improving.

2004 shawver was about as mobile as a log in mid. Still managed to beat Us that year in the playoffs. The next year they had the gaines guy who was very mobile still same result even with the bad call. Salem has a winning recipe no matter the qb. They run the offense as the O line goes. Strong line play they'll be in the finals. Young players on the line they dont win the state.

Pulaski County should be better next year. Most of O line returns, 2 good RB’s very good Mobil QB with cabable arm and some good receivers return. On defense they have to replace 2 on D line and that’s about it.

Don’t know. What position did he play
I noticed he warmed up before every game as qb. More so than Butler. Butler has speed too if he is the qb. I couldn’t find a #25 on the roster though. Also, I noticed EV’s schedule is finally up on the sports page too.

I noticed he warmed up before every game as qb. More so than Butler. Butler has speed too if he is the qb. I couldn’t find a #25 on the roster though. Also, I noticed EV’s schedule is finally up on the sports page too.
Not sure who #25 is. Butler has had a few injuries issues but is a talented athlete--really good arm. Not sure he is the QB to fit into EVs offense though; he is more of a passer than EVs last couple of QBs. May be someone else totally playing QB though (25?).

Not sure who #25 is. Butler has had a few injuries issues but is a talented athlete--really good arm. Not sure he is the QB to fit into EVs offense though; he is more of a passer than EVs last couple of QBs. May be someone else totally playing QB though (25?).
I’m pretty sure it was 25 who was warming up with Lowry and Butler before games. Just don’t know who that is.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT