ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern View 11-0 @ Dinwiddie 11-0

Who wins

• Dinwiddie

Votes: 52 65.0%
  • EV

Votes: 28 35.0%

• Total voters
If you get tickets online do you go through the main gate or is there a gate for online tickets?

Wasn’t that the year they had already turned in all of their equipment at the beginning of the week, then something happened with Courtland that put EV back in the playoffs?
Yes that’s the same year but it wasn’t Courtland I forget what school it was but they had a ineligible player.... Ev ended up losing to Courtland in the regional final

I didnt sleep a wink Thursday night, because of the forthcoming game and couldnt get to sleep last night, because of what I witnessed.

Wow, what a game. To every coach, player, parent, and fan of both teams thank you for the effort. What I witnessed was two Titans butt heads, trading blows, and doing with sportsmanship to boot.

EV, Dinwiddie knows what its like to be looked down on and considered to be less than you are. Because of the talent your team has, we already knew the dogfight that would ensue. What we did not know was if you would get up after being knocked down.

Guess what? Your team punched us first, then took a few blows, all the while still coming forward. Thats what good teams do. The Cyclones don't need my validation to know who they are, but I will say it anyway.

To Coach Hatfield and his boys you are the real deal. Although you did not win on the field you earned the respect of everyone sitting in the stands last night. You are a nasty storm (cyclone) that will be a force to be reckoned with in the future. May God bless you all and best wishes for a very bright football future.

I second what BN said. And I'll add that the guys that came down with the Culpeper Cable Access channel, 23, were professional, courteous, and just a joy to work with.

Navy and I had the pleasure of interacting with a number of EV fans and school staff. To a person, they were wonderful people. Humble and pleasant, before and after the game. (We don't always see that).

As terrific as the EV community is, they very nearly caused a sudden death of a Dinwiddie fan. The mother of our kicker! Nervous by nature anyway, when EV called that timeout with perfect timing, that was nearly the death of her. For any of you that are not aware, Dinwiddie was attempting a field goal for the win with about :20 left in the game. They lined up, the play occurred and the field goal was good, except that EV called time out within a millisecond of the snap. Excellent work by the coach. So they lined up to do it again. By this time, poor mama was near total meltdown from nerves. And when the kick went through, the tears started flowing. Dad was trying to be cool and stoic, lol. But, he about lost it too.

I know it was a heartbreaker for you EV fans. And it would have been equally as crushing for us if the outcome had gone your way. But, the memories that were made last night are something that we will all talk about for the rest of our lives. (i.e. When we lost to Salem in the Championship game last year, or when we lost at home to Phoebus in the last two minutes after basically controlling the game and literally having victory in our hand). Not our fondest memories, but still proud memories. At least we got to make those memories.

What a game of hay makers. And that 2nd FG was definitely good, but it was a lot closer to not being good than the “practice” kick. Great game.

Reactions: Gen54
That was one heckuva matchup! I knew EV was REALLY good, regardless of the schedule. After watching this game, I have a new appreciation for Dinwiddie. After the quick EV start, most teams would have gotten swamped. The Generals regrouped and won a nail biter...as championship caliber teams are prone to do!

Good luck the rest of the way! P.S.: I am glad Bleeding Navy did not take me up on the wager! :)

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Too funny. I am a big gunsmoke fan, so it wouldnt have been all bad. Besides with the work I do it fits. Did you get anything last week hunting? I went this morning on my property. No luck. Too many hunters booming the guns with dogs chaising. I still hunt from 20 feet up with a bow. Maybe this evening. Been eyeing a ten pointer for three weeks. Smart one though.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
What a game of hay makers. And that 2nd FG was definitely good, but it was a lot closer to not being good than the “practice” kick. Great game.
Right down the middle and clear by 20 yards. Our entire linebacker unit played well. #81 Pope played well, but #9 Tyree made some really key plays. Wasnt easy with EV's talented line.

One missed key was our kickoff coverage. EV had a good special teams plan as well. Both offenses had to earn their yardage.

This was certainly a great game. Both teams had to come back from double digit deficits, and neither team had any quit in them. I will do a quick what it was..

Dinwiddie's D line is pretty good, it's their LB's that make that line and front 7 so tough. They read plays really well and seem to always be in the right hole. They had very little pass rush though. Outside of some timely blitzes, there was very good protection. Dinwiddie came in planning to stop the run, so EV does what it does, and goes to the air. EV WR's were open a lot and made great catches all over the field. The best defense the DB's had was a shirt tug to slow them down. Very impressed with #9 and #81 was who he is, but if I didn't know who he was, I almost would have thought #9 was the one going to Ohio St. , just a great set of LB's. Oh, let me not forget the turnovers, was it 5 to 1? Big turnovers at big times. I think Widdie basically scored 17 or 20 point off turnovers.
EV's defense, played tough, outside of the big runs, I think they were holding Dinwiddie under 4yds a carry. The QB, though :rolleyes:, I know he likes to give credit to the Oline, but he scrambles all over. Great grit when running. EV's defense was pretty consistent, and they were put in a few very short fields.
The offenses took what they could when it was there. This game was about executing the right play at the right time.

A couple of notable instances:

1. Yes it has to be brought up.. The timeout awarded to Dinwiddie after the spike was something I have never seen. They had a mental lapse, they called for a spike, they spiked the ball, the officials called it 4th down. Then (and not before) the side official slowly jogs over to say hey they called timeout. They decide to reverse the play that had already completed in it's entirely. Here's the thing, there was no whistle there was not arm waving , there was no coach near the guy. The team got the spike play call from the coaches? That was a 4 point play. I am trying to let that go as it was a first half play and EV had it's opportunities in the second half. But that one still tastes bad. Timeouts like that you typically see just after the play started the official running over waving his hands, a whistle is blown etc. That did not happen in this case. The kids were executing a play called by the coaches.
2. The 3rd down play to setup the FG to win was a great play by the QB and WR. That was a big moment and they performed, because to be honest, EV's D was shutting Dinwiddie down in the second half. Other than the TD off the fumble recovery deep in EV's territory, Dinwidde wasn't doing much in that half.
3. The catch (shoot catches) by our #10. The one on 4th down to keep that drive going to tie the game, that was ESPN top ten like.
4. The pick six, seeing it live, i thought that was a rough play for our QB, but on film, it was a very good read and play. The kid who picked it was on the D line in a down stance. Just before the play started he looked over to his sideline like the coaches had gotten his attention, and after the snap he went right into the flat. Huge play in the game.
5. Early in the game, our Defense holding Dinwiddie to that FG to make it 3-2. That was a huge lift for our team and I think helped shake off the bus webs.
6. The last 6 mins of the second qt. was the difference in this game. Widdie scored 21 points in that span.

Ok a few follow up comments from our week of Va preping :)

1. The talk about EV having to play perfect.. if that had happened we win by 3 scores. The irony is Dinwiddie had to play a very mistake free game to beat us. But I think it was said they very rarely shoot themselves in the foot, and they did not.
2. Dinwiddie stadium is not that intimidating. I'm not sure what makes a HS atmosphere intimidating, but I would assume Salem and Louisa are the closest. Love the horse though. Any chance they will move the bleachers closer to the field? Oh your announcer is pretty awesome. He made the game fun to listen to. I liked him.
3. The Giuseppe's food was pretty good. I had the blackened chicken Alfredo with broccoli. I wanted to test the meatballs, but the waitress was really pushing that.
4. DSH, OHHHHH DSH. Did you get anything right this weekend? EV was good enough, Louisa beat Monacan, and dare I say it.. GW was basically shut out by Salem. I'm not counting the garbage time points. I hear you are no shaving the head? Dude I shave my head, it's not that bad. I'm playing of course, but I did move your status in my excel sheet to says things he does not really know about. Just kidding, I had you there already. No no I'm just having fun. I really enjoyed the banter. The whole bunch of you, we are just fans, dads and ex players just holding on...:D;)o_O

This was certainly a great game. Both teams had to come back from double digit deficits, and neither team had any quit in them. I will do a quick what it was..

Dinwiddie's D line is pretty good, it's their LB's that make that line and front 7 so tough. They read plays really well and seem to always be in the right hole. They had very little pass rush though. Outside of some timely blitzes, there was very good protection. Dinwiddie came in planning to stop the run, so EV does what it does, and goes to the air. EV WR's were open a lot and made great catches all over the field. The best defense the DB's had was a shirt tug to slow them down. Very impressed with #9 and #81 was who he is, but if I didn't know who he was, I almost would have thought #9 was the one going to Ohio St. , just a great set of LB's. Oh, let me not forget the turnovers, was it 5 to 1? Big turnovers at big times. I think Widdie basically scored 17 or 20 point off turnovers.
EV's defense, played tough, outside of the big runs, I think they were holding Dinwiddie under 4yds a carry. The QB, though :rolleyes:, I know he likes to give credit to the Oline, but he scrambles all over. Great grit when running. EV's defense was pretty consistent, and they were put in a few very short fields.
The offenses took what they could when it was there. This game was about executing the right play at the right time.

1. Yes it has to be brought up.. The timeout awarded to Dinwiddie after the spike was something I have never seen. They had a mental lapse, they called for a spike, they spiked the ball, the officials called it 4th down. Then (and not before) the side official slowly jogs over to say hey they called timeout. They decide to reverse the play that had already completed in it's entirely. Here's the thing, there was no whistle there was not arm waving , there was no coach near the guy. The team got the spike play call from the coaches? That was a 4 point play. I am trying to let that go as it was a first half play and EV had it's opportunities in the second half. But that one still tastes bad. Timeouts like that you typically see just after the play started the official running over waving his hands, a whistle is blown etc. That did not happen in this case. The kids were executing a play called by the coaches.
2. The 3rd down play to setup the FG to win was a great play by the QB and WR. That was a big moment and they performed, because to be honest, EV's D was shutting Dinwiddie down in the second half. Other than the TD off the fumble recovery deep in EV's territory, Dinwidde wasn't doing much in that half.
3. The catch (shoot catches) by our #10. The one on 4th down to keep that drive going to tie the game, that was ESPN top ten like.
4. The pick six, seeing it live, i thought that was a rough play for our QB, but on film, it was a very good read and play. The kid who picked it was on the D line in a down stance. Just before the play started he looked over to his sideline like the coaches had gotten his attention, and after the snap he went right into the flat. Huge play in the game.
5. Early in the game, our Defense holding Dinwiddie to that FG to make it 3-2. That was a huge lift for our team and I think helped shake off the bus webs.
6. The last 6 mins of the second qt. was the difference in this game. Widdie scored 21 points in that span.

1. The talk about EV having to play perfect.. if that had happened we win by 3 scores. The irony is Dinwiddie had to play a very mistake free game to beat us. But I think it was said they very rarely shoot themselves in the foot, and they did not.
2. Dinwiddie stadium is not that intimidating. I'm not sure what makes a HS atmosphere intimidating, but I would assume Salem and Louisa are the closest. Love the horse though. Any chance they will move the bleachers closer to the field? Oh your announcer is pretty awesome. He made the game fun to listen to. I liked him.
3. The Giuseppe's food was pretty good. I had the blackened chicken Alfredo with broccoli. I wanted to test the meatballs, but the waitress was really pushing that.
4. DSH, OHHHHH DSH. Did you get anything right this weekend? EV was good enough, Louisa beat Monacan, and dare I say it.. GW was basically shut out by Salem. I'm not counting the garbage time points. I hear you are no shaving the head? Dude I shave my head, it's not that bad. I'm playing of course, but I did move your status in my excel sheet to says things he does not really know about. Just kidding, I had you there already. No no I'm just having fun. I really enjoyed the banter. The whole bunch of you, we are just fans, dads and ex players just holding on...:D;)o_O
.....and 77 had another great effort

Reactions: Gen54
Thank you. He has not said much and will most likely not for a few days. He is just a sophomore and this was a great experience for him to grow as a player. I haven't watched all the film yet, but they certainly had a plan to keep him doubled. Our Dline did a good job, I think they ran up the middle for yardage 1, 2 times. They got us on the edge for a few big ones. When you face a QB like that, it's the scrambling that beats ya.

Oh one thing I left out. Another shoot out to the EV conditioning. They were going hard in that forth qt. I was a bot worried about a few of our lineman because both teams run the hurry up. But hey did not tire (noticeably anyway).

One other notable.. When the game ended, there was just an awesome scene on the field after the handshakes. Everyone from both teams just lingered a bit in what seemed like acknowledgment of the battle they just had. They then huddled in a large group and did a prayer of sorts. My son, who admittedly is not really very touchy feely, really liked that. It was like the end of a boxing match when the boxers just are embracing each other after the fight (can I say embrace, does that make it less macho?). It was something!

Reactions: Gen54 and 1Gensfan
Had a good view of the field goal from the sideline right in front of me... the first attempt was perfect but the second the holder did a heck of a job of getting the snap. The snap was behind him almost and barley got the ball down for the kicker which if it was a further kick I don’t think it would of been good... the ball was moving left and snuck within a yard of the post

Have to agree with the whole spike/timeout thing. Usually the sideline official will come flying in signaling a timeout but it wasn’t until have the play. Think the coaches lost track of downs and tried to back track. Definitely a 4 point swing right there. Would of been interesting to see how the game would of played out if they had to play that 4th down

A great game and great fan support from both sides. EV’s #3 (Hunter?) is awesome and literally plays twice his size. The Popes just know how to make plays. With EV winning all of their previous games by a comfortable margin and having lack of big game experience, I was most impressed with their execution and composure in a close game, on the road, and against Dinwiddie. Both teams are very well coached and fun to watch. As the game went on, I felt more and more like it was going to be EV’s night. However, Dinwiddie again proved they can move the ball enough to score with only seconds remaining.

It was also an absolute pleasure to meet some of Dinwiddie’s finest, in DP, 1Gensfan, and BN. BN, my kids send their thanks for the candy, as it kept them awake for the first hour of our ride home. 1Gensfan, keep posting and thank you for sharing stories about some special players. I hope to see you all again.

A great game and great fan support from both sides. EV’s #3 (Hunter?) is awesome and literally plays twice his size. The Popes just know how to make plays. With EV winning all of their previous games by a comfortable margin and having lack of big game experience, I was most impressed with their execution and composure in a close game, on the road, and against Dinwiddie. Both teams are very well coached and fun to watch. As the game went on, I felt more and more like it was going to be EV’s night. However, Dinwiddie again proved they can move the ball enough to score with only seconds remaining.

It was also an absolute pleasure to meet some of Dinwiddie’s finest, in DP, 1Gensfan, and BN. BN, my kids send their thanks for the candy, as it kept them awake for the first hour of our ride home. 1Gensfan, keep posting and thank you for sharing stories about some special players. I hope to see you all again.
It was a pleasure to meet you and your sons as well. I has just asked DP if he had met any of the fellow posters yet. As I said before in other posts, I don't get the chance to watch many other teams live and I COMPLETELY underestimated how good EV is. This was probably the best HS football game I've ever watched. #3 Hunter, and #10 , I believe Noah Proctor (EV fans please correct me if I'm wrong) are amazing atheletes!! EV is definitely the Real deal!!

Just curious sir, have you seen film or a replay on that catch? I was there, not affiliated with either school though I have started to hope Dinwiddie wins games, but didn't look like it was a catch from where I was sitting? Just wondering, if anyone saw a replay. Either way, herculean effort, will not change the outcome of the best high school game Ive ever seen, and both teams were super fun to watch. I will add, Im glad it was ruled a catch, because it just made the ending that much better. And to EVs qb and which ever young man made the td catch on their last driver, beautiful catch and throw. Anyway, just curious!

Reactions: OCBoy
CavsGrad, you are every bit the gentleman I figured you were, (from the thoughtful and considerate post that you make). It was an honor and a pleasure to meet you and your kids.

Thank you for making that long commute to join us.

Now, if you had wanted your kids to stay awake all the way home you should have said so. We could have fixed them up with Mountain Dew and a lot more chocolate! LOL!

Your trip was sure worth it. What a football game we saw. One of the EV guys and I were talking pre-game. He said that it could very well come down to who gets the ball last. He was certainly correct. Even though they received one final kickoff, and had a final play from scrimmage, it was really a matter of Dinwiddie having the ball with a realistic scoring chance, last.

CavsGrad, you had the chance to meet one of the nicest people on Preps, and one of the sweetness ladies I know, 1Gensfan.

Again, I'm glad you came, and let us know if you are going to make the trip this week.

Just curious sir, have you seen film or a replay on that catch? I was there, not affiliated with either school though I have started to hope Dinwiddie wins games, but didn't look like it was a catch from where I was sitting? Just wondering, if anyone saw a replay. Either way, herculean effort, will not change the outcome of the best high school game Ive ever seen, and both teams were super fun to watch. I will add, Im glad it was ruled a catch, because it just made the ending that much better. And to EVs qb and which ever young man made the td catch on their last driver, beautiful catch and throw. Anyway, just curious!

As far I see on replay he caught the ball. The replay is tough to actually see the ball, but by where his hands were, they never went to the ground, plus the defender, receiver and ref all reacted immediately as if it was a catch. What a game he had!! Yes that last TD for us was real pretty. They had that a few times and had just missed, third time was a charm! The young man was #25 Noah. Fasttttttt kid! He is a Jr. I think there is a very good chance we will see round two of this game next year btw...

Reactions: OCBoy
It definitely was a catch. I had a very close view of it. The AB threw it behind him. The Dinwiddie defender was on #10. As he planted his feet to stop his feet went out from under him. Pretty much on his back he caught the pass with both hands over his head laid out on his back. No question it was a clean catch. All hands!

CavsGrad, you are every bit the gentleman I figured you were, (from the thoughtful and considerate post that you make). It was an honor and a pleasure to meet you and your kids.

Thank you for making that long commute to join us.

Now, if you had wanted your kids to stay awake all the way home you should have said so. We could have fixed them up with Mountain Dew and a lot more chocolate! LOL!

Your trip was sure worth it. What a football game we saw. One of the EV guys and I were talking pre-game. He said that it could very well come down to who gets the ball last. He was certainly correct. Even though they received one final kickoff, and had a final play from scrimmage, it was really a matter of Dinwiddie having the ball with a realistic scoring chance, last.

CavsGrad, you had the chance to meet one of the nicest people on Preps, and one of the sweetness ladies I know, 1Gensfan.

Again, I'm glad you came, and let us know if you are going to make the trip this week.
Thank you for the kind words DP , can't say my husband would agree with you on that tho:D. I look forward to meeting more posters in the near future! CavsGrad truly is a class act.​

Last edited:
Reactions: CavsGrad
As far I see on replay he caught the ball. The replay is tough to actually see the ball, but by where his hands were, they never went to the ground, plus the defender, receiver and ref all reacted immediately as if it was a catch. What a game he had!! Yes that last TD for us was real pretty. They had that a few times and had just missed, third time was a charm! The young man was #25 Noah. Fasttttttt kid! He is a Jr. I think there is a very good chance we will see round two of this game next year btw...
That would be great to see rd 2.....at Cyclone stadium . EVcyc, i know D’ago is gone, but are a lot returning?

As far I see on replay he caught the ball

Thank you sir. I think it may be more he was falling or I wouldnt expect him to catch it, or maybe I thought no way, not sure, my 44 year old eyes are not what they used to be and I hear the future for them is bleak. Either way, whats meant to be will be, just glad everything worked out that way. And sorry your team lost, but last night was one of those nights I just told God when I got home, I just appreciate you letting me experience that, truly enjoyable. But thank you for responding.

Thank you for the kind words DP - I’m not deserving of them. It was my pleasure to return to “the country” to see the generals live. My previous trip was for the Phoebus game a few years back, and if my memory is correct, we thankfully arrived during the daylight hours. If my GPS had failed yesterday, it would have been a miserable trip. LOL

It’s not hard to believe those things about 1Gensfan. She was fantastic and made me feel like we were old friends. We spoke for so long that my crew thought something had happened to me.

I don’t think I’ll be able to make the trip this coming weekend. With a wife and third infant son at home, I have to ration out my football road trips so that I have enough happy wife points to make to the state finals next month. Good luck to the generals this week!

Thank you for the kind words DP , can't say my husband would agree with you on that tho:D. I look forward to meeting more posters in the near future! CavsGrad truly is a class act.​

Thank you 1Gensfan. Besides a great game, getting to meet you all made my trip worthwhile.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Or bring her and the baby. I'm not kidding when I say we provide free child care in the stands. First one lady, then another, and another want to hold your baby. That baby will be moved up and down the stands so much that they will have more yards rushing than Peety Pope. And they will send you word, got a bottle, got a diaper, got a blanket? And just before the game ends, her comes someone with your smiling, healthy baby, with rosy cheeks.

In all seriousness, one of our assistant coaches had a baby, and when the little girl was less than 10 days old mama brought her to her first game. She is about five now, and I don't think she has missed a single game.

We are certainly not perfect here at Dinwiddie, and of course we have an occasional problem or two, but you would be hard pressed to find a more homogenous, more considerate, a more pleasant crowd to be around. It gives me hope each week for this crazy world we live in.

Cavsgrad, go black friday shopping with your wife early in the morning, take her to brunch at a nice place and hire a babysitter to watch the kids while she gets a manicure. Then have Chinese delivered to the house at 5. Works every time. She will never miss you.

CavsGrad, I can help. I'll post Bleeding Navy's MasterCard number on here shortly, and you can take your wife shopping on his dime. He won't even notice, as rich as he is.

Or bring her and the baby. I'm not kidding when I say we provide free child care in the stands. First one lady, then another, and another want to hold your baby. That baby will be moved up and down the stands so much that they will have more yards rushing than Peety Pope. And they will send you word, got a bottle, got a diaper, got a blanket? And just before the game ends, her comes someone with your smiling, healthy baby, with rosy cheeks.

That would be awesome and not a bad idea. I've had a hard time getting my wife interested in high school football. She loves football, but besides our kids games, she prefers watching football from the couch. If a great game at dinwiddie doesn't spark her interest, we may have to reevaluate our marriage. Lol

I'll definitely be back and would be happy to accept dinwiddie as another one of my adopted teams, since PA has had more than our fair share of early ending seasons. But when it comes to our girls basketball team, I'd put them against any program in the nation.

I know about the PA girls. It is amazing how they can find and develope that level of talent year after year. Says a lot about the "program" that the coach has built.

I enjoy the heck out of girls basketball. They can get vicious in a heartbeat.
Incidently, at Monacan, with Walker and her side kicks gone, you would expect a major drop off. Mbonape says it won't be. It should be another exciting season in our area.

I know about the PA girls. It is amazing how they can find and develope that level of talent year after year. Says a lot about the "program" that the coach has built.

I enjoy the heck out of girls basketball. They can get vicious in a heartbeat.
Incidently, at Monacan, with Walker and her side kicks gone, you would expect a major drop off. Mbonape says it won't be. It should be another exciting season in our area.

I wouldn't bet against Monacan, they are one of the most consistent program in the state.

Coach Dozier at PA runs a tough program that prides itself on its intensity. With only one senior on the roster last year, they should be the favorite for an unbelievable 5-peat in 5A.

Hey CavsGrad, I just put a few "happy wife points" in the bank. I just finished installing a new dishwasher. Hopefully my balance will last me through the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT