ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern View 58, Courtland 57 FINAL

Eastern View outlasted host Courtland 58-57 in a back-and-forth Battlefield District boys basketball showdown on Saturday afternoon.

After a low-scoring, occasionally ugly first half ended with the visiting Cyclones up 26-22, they started the third quarter on a 9-2 run to open up the game’s only double-digit lead at 35-24. Courtland would respond with an 18-5 run to close the period though, taking a 42-40 advantage to the final frame.

The Cougars had possession of the ball with the game tied at 57 and 38.1 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. They would run nearly all of the time off the clock, but wound up settling for a long three-point attempt that misfired over Eastern View’s 2-3 zone. On the rebound, Courtland was whistled for a loose ball foul that sent the Cyclones’ Zion Clark to the line for a one-and-one with two seconds left. Clark made the first free throw and missed the second, and the Cougars’ desperation heave from midcourt fell short as time expired.

With the victory, Eastern View improves to 7-5, 3-1. They will visit King George on Tuesday.

Courtland falls to 10-5, 4-2 and will visit Riverbend in a nondistrict clash on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy
Eastern View outlasted host Courtland 58-57 in a back-and-forth Battlefield District boys basketball showdown on Saturday afternoon.

After a low-scoring, occasionally ugly first half ended with the visiting Cyclones up 26-22, they started the third quarter on a 9-2 run to open up the game’s only double-digit lead at 35-24. Courtland would respond with an 18-5 run to close the period though, taking a 42-40 advantage to the final frame.

The Cougars had possession of the ball with the game tied at 57 and 38.1 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. They would run nearly all of the time off the clock, but wound up settling for a long three-point attempt that misfired over Eastern View’s 2-3 zone. On the rebound, Courtland was whistled for a loose ball foul that sent the Cyclones’ Zion Clark to the line for a one-and-one with two seconds left. Clark made the first free throw and missed the second, and the Cougars’ desperation heave from midcourt fell short as time expired.

With the victory, Eastern View improves to 7-5, 3-1. They will visit King George on Tuesday.

Courtland falls to 10-5, 4-2 and will visit Riverbend in a nondistrict clash on Tuesday.
Very competitive district. Let’s see here:

James Monroe beat Caroline
Caroline beat EV
Courtland beat JM
Caroline beat Courtland
EV beat Courtland

So things could get interesting because it appears every team in the district is a run and gun type of team that wants to run each other out the gym.

Reactions: CarolineCav99
Indeed. Now JM and Courtland both have a little size, and Courtland plays more of a halfcourt style than the other teams, but they still pushed tempo against EV yesterday far more than I expected. Honestly, I felt they played their best when they worked through their big men in the high post.

JM has the size to play halfcourt basketball, but also the athleticism to run with anyone. They’re the one team I’ve seen so far that was able to run with Caroline for 32 minutes.

Caroline and EV are very similar in that they both like to run and each has very little size. But I’m sure I didn’t need to tell you that; you see how many points those two teams scored when they played Friday night lol

Indeed. Now JM and Courtland both have a little size, and Courtland plays more of a halfcourt style than the other teams, but they still pushed tempo against EV yesterday far more than I expected. Honestly, I felt they played their best when they worked through their big men in the high post.

JM has the size to play halfcourt basketball, but also the athleticism to run with anyone. They’re the one team I’ve seen so far that was able to run with Caroline for 32 minutes.

Caroline and EV are very similar in that they both like to run and each has very little size. But I’m sure I didn’t need to tell you that; you see how many points those two teams scored when they played Friday night lol
I thought Caroline was good, but they are totally reliant upon making the 3. They remind me of Culpeper a couple years ago. If they're shooting a good percentage from the 3 pt line they're very tough to beat. Too one-dimensional to make a deep run IMO.

I thought Caroline was good, but they are totally reliant upon making the 3. They remind me of Culpeper a couple years ago. If they're shooting a good percentage from the 3 pt line they're very tough to beat. Too one-dimensional to make a deep run IMO.

I do agree that they take a lot of threes, but disagree that they’re completely reliant on those. They’ve beaten some good teams in games where they haven’t made many three-pointers. Henrico (5), Courtland (3) and Louisa (4) for example.

Now they did make 11 of them at Eastern View Friday, but as they’ve done against several other teams, they frequently beat the Cyclones in transition as well and the guards didn’t have a lot of difficulty getting to the rim off the dribble either. My concern for them moving forward isn’t three-point attempts, it’s getting into a half court game against a team with good bigs who knows how to exploit that advantage. Their lack of size is concerning.

I do agree that they take a lot of threes, but disagree that they’re completely reliant on those. They’ve beaten some good teams in games where they haven’t made many three-pointers. Henrico (5), Courtland (3) and Louisa (4) for example.

Now they did make 11 of them at Eastern View Friday, but as they’ve done against several other teams, they frequently beat the Cyclones in transition as well and the guards didn’t have a lot of difficulty getting to the rim off the dribble either. My concern for them moving forward isn’t three-point attempts, it’s getting into a half court game against a team with good bigs who knows how to exploit that advantage. Their lack of size is concerning.
It's all about match-ups. They will do well in the Battlefield. I just don't think they'll match-up well with LV/LT if they're anywhere close to where they've been talent wise the last couple of years.....2 very good/versatile teams.

It's all about match-ups. They will do well in the Battlefield. I just don't think they'll match-up well with LV/LT if they're anywhere close to where they've been talent wise the last couple of years.....2 very good/versatile teams.

I def agree LV and LT are the front runners for sure. They’re both a tough matchup for anyone.

I def agree LV and LT are the front runners for sure. They’re both a tough matchup for anyone.
What vaulted Caroline to be so good this year? They had a losing record last year, right? One other thing I like about them is their ability to swing the ball from player to player with great pace....very good passing in the half-court.

What vaulted Caroline to be so good this year? They had a losing record last year, right? One other thing I like about them is their ability to swing the ball from player to player with great pace....very good passing in the half-court.

Yes they had a losing record last year (9-13) and haven’t had a winning record since 2014-15. My understanding is the boys played in a spring league after last season, then a summer league and a fall league. Seems they just put in a lot of work on their game and on strength and conditioning. I think it’s one of those things where there’s been some raw talent there, but the lack of fundamentals and mental lapses have really hurt them the last couple years.

I think the ball movement you mentioned is a product of that work they’ve put in. They know that can give them an advantage in the half court, especially if they’re playing a bigger team (which they often are).

In any case, there hasn’t been this much buzz around a Caroline team in nearly 15 years. It was disappointing and sad to see them struggle for the better part of the last decade-plus. If you know anything about Caroline, then you know that basketball is and always has been that school and that community’s first love. It’s good to at least see the kids being talked about as a good team again.

Yes they had a losing record last year (9-13) and haven’t had a winning record since 2014-15. My understanding is the boys played in a spring league after last season, then a summer league and a fall league. Seems they just put in a lot of work on their game and on strength and conditioning. I think it’s one of those things where there’s been some raw talent there, but the lack of fundamentals and mental lapses have really hurt them the last couple years.

I think the ball movement you mentioned is a product of that work they’ve put in. They know that can give them an advantage in the half court, especially if they’re playing a bigger team (which they often are).

In any case, there hasn’t been this much buzz around a Caroline team in nearly 15 years. It was disappointing and sad to see them struggle for the better part of the last decade-plus. If you know anything about Caroline, then you know that basketball is and always has been that school and that community’s first love. It’s good to at least see the kids being talked about as a good team again.
Yes....very good. Not sure how long the b-ball coach has been there, but if he spearheaded that off season effort, he needs to be commended.

Don’t understand why the football team sucks then

Same reasons that have dogged that program for years:

1. Too much outside interference and meddling from parents, many of whom expect their child to play when they don’t put the work in.

2. To piggyback off that, kids simply not putting the work in, period. Only time in the last 10-15 years I’ve seen any commitment in the weight room was when Bobby Jenkins was head coach. No coincidence that was when they were the most successful, going to the playoffs and whatnot. However, Jenkins got fed up with crap from the community, among other things.

Same reasons that have dogged that program for years:

1. Too much outside interference and meddling from parents, many of whom expect their child to play when they don’t put the work in.

2. To piggyback off that, kids simply not putting the work in, period. Only time in the last 10-15 years I’ve seen any commitment in the weight room was when Bobby Jenkins was head coach. No coincidence that was when they were the most successful, going to the playoffs and whatnot. However, Jenkins got fed up with crap from the community, among other things.
Good ole Culpeper County Bobby. I told someone the other day the last time Caroline won was when he coached them

Good ole Culpeper County Bobby. I told someone the other day the last time Caroline won was when he coached them
Always had a good relationship with Bobby. He didn’t put up with the usual BS that goes on down there and that’s why the toxic people in that community didn’t like him and wanted him gone. As soon as he got fed up and left, that program went back to being a joke. They’ve found new and exciting ways to embarrass themselves, from not winning a ballgame for three years to a bunch of fools in the community pushing one of the head coaches out after starting a petition to remove him... all for holding a kid accountable for skipping practice. It’s laughable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT