ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern View vs Dinwiddie round 2

Congratulation to Eastern View. You team has worked hard, stayed the course and made it to the region finals. Job well done.

Monacan had us down 16, but this young Dinwiddie team never gets too high or too low. Two weeks in a row Pope has willed this team to victory. This time with his arm. I never expected the Generals would still be playing, but I am not going to complain.

Two weeks ago and after the loss to Hopewell I would have said this team couldnt beat an experienced team like Monacan or EV. I am beginning to believe we have a chance. I will explain further later.

The one thing that is going to be fun to watch is the Lowry vs. Pope matchup. These two guys are a microcosm of one another and anybody who wants to see two kids who will not accept failure should be at the game.

Last edited:
I dont know about a war, but I dont think it will be a defensive struggle. Honestly, I think it will come down to who can minimize the improvisation of these two unreal qb's.

Lowry shredded Dinwiddie with the pass and Pope did his thing on the ground last year. Running backs Dalton and Holmes could be major factors as well.

The EV fans, players and coaches were great last year. Lets go for round #2.

I agree, EV players, staff, and fans are some of the best in the state. It was a terrific experience playing them last year. And I say these things with total indifference to who won the game.

Our field is not torn up to the degree of most fields in the area. The stars just lined up for us all year, so that on the worst weather weekends, we were playing away. In fact, until last Saturday, our field was in great shape for this time of year. The ground was soft last Sat., but not as bad as it could have been, consequently, the damage was not severe.

With a week's worth of sunshine, and hopefully a little wind, we should be able to host this game at home.
It will be on Friday evening, not Saturday, so get your Black Friday shopping done early!

Can’t wait to make the trip back to Dinwiddie. Another great atmosphere next weekend. A real tough task to go to The Jungle and get a win and then head to Dinwiddie the next week. That is a road many are not willing to travel but I think EV is warming up the buses and willing to make that trip.

I hope your field is not a factor. Any possibility Dinwiddie moves it to a turf field there field is still wet?

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
On the way there now to look things over. Hoping a week of sunshine will help. Its not nearly as bad as others. The field was in great shap before the Courtland game. Our AD will do the right thing. No advantage to either yeam by playing on a bad field.

On the way there now to look things over. Hoping a week of sunshine will help. Its not nearly as bad as others. The field was in great shap before the Courtland game. Our AD will do the right thing. No advantage to either yeam by playing on a bad field.

I'm hopefull, but not optimistic. Pretty darn saturated.

It's just hard to predict how much improved it could be by Friday. Ordinarily, when the surface is this wet, you could have reasonable confidence that it would dry and be playable by Friday.

But, the ground is SOOO saturated, that 100% of the drying will need to take place from the sun and the wind. Zero moisture can be absorbed by the sub-soil. The low sun angle is working against us, too.

There is virtually nothing artificial that can be done to rapidly dry a field either. The granulated drying agent that can be spread only helps absorb standing water, or moisture in the top 1/2" or so. If it's saturated like it is, that is like putting a band-aid on cancer.

We just need Mother Nature let her sun shine, and her lips to blow a gentle breeze. After all, don't you all agree that she owes us?

Reactions: 1Gensfan
OK Dinwiddie guys, taking the obvious out (Lowry/Pope), what are the 2 most important key match-ups as you see it? Let's go with one on each side of the ball.

Can the Dinwiddie secondary do just enough to slow down EV. There’s now way they stop em but just make a couple key stops, maybe a turnover. That’s gonna be huge in this game!

Who replaced Pope on defense for the Generals? He was a 1-man wrecking crew last year. I’m thinking #4 for the Cyclones gets more room this year.

Last edited:
OK Dinwiddie guys, taking the obvious out (Lowry/Pope), what are the 2 most important key match-ups as you see it? Let's go with one on each side of the ball.
If Dinwiddie doesn’t Block Brown he will destroy their offense. Louisa didn’t have an answer and he shut them down. I’ve seen him live 3 times this year and he’s been incredible in every game. On offense Lowry gets all the hype deservedly so but Holmes is the engine that makes them run. Dinwiddie better have an answer for Holmes and Brown

I went back and looked at last years thread about this game and its similar; however, EV fans appear to be a bit confident this time around (deservedly so). I will attempt to answer the following quotes:

"If Dinwiddie doesn’t Block Brown he will destroy their offense. Louisa didn’t have an answer and he shut them down. I’ve seen him live 3 times this year and he’s been incredible in every game. On offense Lowry gets all the hype deservedly so but Holmes is the engine that makes them run. Dinwiddie better have an answer for Holmes and Brown"

"Who replaced Pope on defense for the Generals? He was a 1-man wrecking crew last year. I’m thinking #4 for the Cyclones gets more room this year".

I posted on another thread that the Dinwiddie defense lost 8 (5 1st or 2nd team all state players) starters including all three linebackers. Our defensive line has been our strength all year and the lunch pail type linebackers have gotten better each game. Dinwiddie faced Hopewell who has equitable talent (5 D1 level offensive skill players) as EV and with the exception of one busted play held Hopewell's offensive attack to under 150 yards total. Dinwiddie is not going to stop EV, but they will try to limit the damage. Just like last year they are going to attempt keep Holmes in check and force EV to beat them with the pass.. Hopefully we can force a few turnovers and flip the score.

Offensively, Coach Mills is going to give you the same thing he did last year. I hope EV decides to play with 10 men on defense by putting a spy on Pope. Monacan basically did so last week and it kept Pope from running down field, but after some adjustments at halftime Pope picked Monacan's superior defensive backs apart, because they left the middle of the field open and he had all day to throw. Dinwiddie's receivers have played like the young and inexperienced players they are; however, last week they made the tough catches when needed. If Dalton and Lucess can have mild success running the ball I feel comfortable the Generals will be able to score on the vaunted EV defense. Tanner from Monacan with help from the strong safety Snyder (d1 signee) did a good job in the first half of clogging up the middle last week. In the second half the Generals did a better job of getting a hat on him and without Snyders support Dinwiddie ran the ball effectively. I am sure Brown will be very disruptive, but I believe Coach Mills has a plan. Smith from Louisa gave us fits last year, so you can bet Mills had something in place to combat him if needed. I would bet good money he uses the same scheme to keep Brown from "wrecking" our offense. Will it work? Who knows....... I guess the key for EV will be if they can cover Dinwiddie's receivers 1v1.

My bottom line is both teams have great qb's who can take over a game. The one who is the better manager will win this game...... To close I have copied my post to the EV faithful after last years game. Sounds like I was right on point. See you Friday. Drive safely.

November 2017:

"I didnt sleep a wink Thursday night, because of the forthcoming game and couldn't get to sleep last night, because of what I witnessed.

Wow, what a game. To every coach, player, parent, and fan of both teams thank you for the effort. What I witnessed was two Titans butt heads, trading blows, and doing it with sportsmanship to boot.

EV, Dinwiddie knows what its like to be looked down on and considered to be less than you are. Because of the talent your team has, we already knew the dogfight that would ensue. What we did not know was if you would get up after being knocked down.

Guess what? Your team punched us first, then took a few blows, all the while still coming forward. Thats what good teams do. The Cyclones don't need my validation to know who they are, but I will say it anyway.

To Coach Hatfield and his boys you are the real deal. Although you did not win on the field you earned the respect of everyone sitting in the stands last night. You are a nasty storm (cyclone) that will be a force to be reckoned with in the future. May God bless you all and best wishes for a very bright football future".

I went back and looked at last years thread about this game and its similar; however, EV fans appear to be a bit confident this time around (deservedly so). I will attempt to answer the following quotes:

"If Dinwiddie doesn’t Block Brown he will destroy their offense. Louisa didn’t have an answer and he shut them down. I’ve seen him live 3 times this year and he’s been incredible in every game. On offense Lowry gets all the hype deservedly so but Holmes is the engine that makes them run. Dinwiddie better have an answer for Holmes and Brown"

"Who replaced Pope on defense for the Generals? He was a 1-man wrecking crew last year. I’m thinking #4 for the Cyclones gets more room this year".

I posted on another thread that the Dinwiddie defense lost 8 (5 1st or 2nd team all state players) starters including all three linebackers. Our defensive line has been our strength all year and the lunch pail type linebackers have gotten better each game. Dinwiddie faced Hopewell who has equitable talent (5 D1 level offensive skill players) as EV and with the exception of one busted play held Hopewell's offensive attack to under 150 yards total. Dinwiddie is not going to stop EV, but they will try to limit the damage. Just like last year they are going to attempt keep Holmes in check and force EV to beat them with the pass.. Hopefully we can force a few turnovers and flip the score.

Offensively, Coach Mills is going to give you the same thing he did last year. I hope EV decides to play with 10 men on defense by putting a spy on Pope. Monacan basically did so last week and it kept Pope from running down field, but after some adjustments at halftime Pope picked Monacan's superior defensive backs apart, because they left the middle of the field open and he had all day to throw. Dinwiddie's receivers have played like the young and inexperienced players they are; however, last week they made the tough catches when needed. If Dalton and Lucess can have mild success running the ball I feel comfortable the Generals will be able to score on the vaunted EV defense. Tanner from Monacan with help from the strong safety Snyder (d1 signee) did a good job in the first half of clogging up the middle last week. In the second half the Generals did a better job of getting a hat on him and without Snyders support Dinwiddie ran the ball effectively. I am sure Brown will be very disruptive, but I believe Coach Mills has a plan. Smith from Louisa gave us fits last year, so you can bet Mills had something in place to combat him if needed. I would bet good money he uses the same scheme to keep Brown from "wrecking" our offense. Will it work? Who knows....... I guess the key for EV will be if they can cover Dinwiddie's receivers 1v1.

My bottom line is both teams have great qb's who can take over a game. The one who is the better manager will win this game...... To close I have copied my post to the EV faithful after last years game. Sounds like I was right on point. See you Friday. Drive safely.

November 2017:

"I didnt sleep a wink Thursday night, because of the forthcoming game and couldn't get to sleep last night, because of what I witnessed.

Wow, what a game. To every coach, player, parent, and fan of both teams thank you for the effort. What I witnessed was two Titans butt heads, trading blows, and doing it with sportsmanship to boot.

EV, Dinwiddie knows what its like to be looked down on and considered to be less than you are. Because of the talent your team has, we already knew the dogfight that would ensue. What we did not know was if you would get up after being knocked down.

Guess what? Your team punched us first, then took a few blows, all the while still coming forward. Thats what good teams do. The Cyclones don't need my validation to know who they are, but I will say it anyway.

To Coach Hatfield and his boys you are the real deal. Although you did not win on the field you earned the respect of everyone sitting in the stands last night. You are a nasty storm (cyclone) that will be a force to be reckoned with in the future. May God bless you all and best wishes for a very bright football future".
The EV DB's can give up some plays; they can also make plays. Very athletic guys back there. I've seen plays this year where they basically have a guy totally covered, but somehow give up the reception. Conversely at times they will make a crazy play to keep a reception from being made . Chalk it up to high school kids I guess.

I must say, I am not a fan of afternoon games. Just doesn't have the same feel. I so much wish this game was starting at 5pm at the earliest. Oh well.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon

November 2017:

Oh I hope my post wasn’t taken out of context. I was just stating what I think the keys to the game are in terms of who to worry about on EV. This will be a great game.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I have a feeling that Blake Leake will have another huge play this week... but in defense this time. The kid is good.

I have a feeling that Blake Leake will have another huge play this week... but in defense this time. The kid is good.
Yes....very good athlete. The one thing not really mentioned at all about the Louisa game is that yes, it was a pass that was tipped 2 times, but he did have to run from one side of the field to the other for about 40 yds and not get caught or fall in that mud pit.

Last edited:
Reactions: loyal2thesoil
Oh I hope my post wasn’t taken out of context. I was just stating what I think the keys to the game are in terms of who to worry about on EV. This will be a great game.
Not at all. Was just offering a response. Mad respect for EV!

Not at all. Was just offering a response. Mad respect for EV!
I think a lot of EV people feel there’s a lot of disrespect rather than respect when it comes to EV. Some of the responses on here can be taken either way from the EV guys because that disrespect is real. BN you have said you have respect for them since last year so I’m not talking directly about you.
The cake schedule sends a lot of disrespect EVs way but they are trying to play through it and compete in these playoffs.

I think a lot of EV people feel there’s a lot of disrespect rather than respect when it comes to EV. Some of the responses on here can be taken either way from the EV guys because that disrespect is real. BN you have said you have respect for them since last year so I’m not talking directly about you.
The cake schedule sends a lot of disrespect EVs way but they are trying to play through it and compete in these playoffs.
Cakes schedule is also overblown. Courtland is a good 4B team I don’t know they get so disrespected just because there are 4 top great teams in 4B. JM has been a class 3 power for years. Chancellor just recently fell off. Culpeper has rebounded and is a solid team and Spotsylvania can run the football on anyone in 3 or 4.

I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Hatfield at the Louisa Dinwiddie game last year. Great guy/coach. I told him how impressed I was with EV. Nothing but respect for the kids and the program. Looking forward to the game friday and hope to meet some of the EV faithful.

@OCBoy, you know I respect your opinion. I would agree that Eastern View is disrespected by some; however, not by Coach Mills, the Dinwiddie team and Navy Nation. Had I not spent a ton of time watching them on video and witnessing their talent last season I too may still question them, because of the early exits in the playoffs. People used to say the same thing about Louisa (guilty) until they physically whooped everybody on the way to the finals last year.

I have often questioned EV's schedule and still dont fully understand why they dont play teams who can get them a higher seed. No need to rehash or argue it, but this fantastic Cyclone team deserved to play at home period.

Honestly, EV doesnt need to prove anything to anyone, but a trip to the next round and beyond may shut some people up. I want Dinwiddie to represent region b going forward and feel with a well executed game plan we have a shot, but its going to take a heck of an effort to beat the Cyclone machine.

Reactions: OCBoy
@OCBoy, you know I respect your opinion. I would agree that Eastern View is disrespected by some; however, not by Coach Mills, the Dinwiddie team and Navy Nation. Had I not spent a ton of time watching them on video and witnessing their talent last season I too may still question them, because of the early exits in the playoffs. People used to say the same thing about Louisa (guilty) until they physically whooped everybody on the way to the finals last year.

I have often questioned EV's schedule and still dont fully understand why they dont play teams who can get them a higher seed. No need to rehash or argue it, but this fantastic Cyclone team deserved to play at home period.

Honestly, EV doesnt need to prove anything to anyone, but a trip to the next round and beyond may shut some people up. I want Dinwiddie to represent region b going forward and feel with a well executed game plan we have a shot, but its going to take a heck of an effort to beat the Cyclone machine.
BN you and I will always be on the same page and I know that Mills and the Dinwiddie program has respect for EV and vice versa. I was specifically talking about on here. I’m not going to entertain the scheduling as it’s more complicated then you would believe.
@gen4ever he’s a great coach but an even better person

While preparing the media guide for this game I couldn't help, but think about how lucky we will be to see two fantastic quarterbacks tomorrow in Lowry and Pope. I
Kymon "Peety" Pope is a special player and has personally willed our team to victory in the past two games. Not trying to brag on this kid or say he is better than anyone, but I thought he deserved a shoutout.

Career Stats:
Pope is 24-2 as a 2 year starter at qb. He has thrown for 3,524 yards, 32 tds and has rushed for 2,152 yards, 37 tds. Pope also has 8 career interceptions.

I must say, I am not a fan of afternoon games. Just doesn't have the same feel. I so much wish this game was starting at 5pm at the earliest. Oh well.
I think we all prefer that this game be a typical Friday "NIGHT" game. But, like many schools around the state with grass fields, we HAD to find a playable field. Huguenot was gracious enough to offer their field, but requested that we hold the game Friday afternoon. And so it will be.

To all fans coming to the game tomorrow, there are no malls or major shopping centers in the general area of Huguenot High School. But, Forest Hill Avenue and the roads leading into this area are always congested. Please allow yourself a little extra travel time.

One final tip for the EV fans. You may notice a road that wraps around to behind the visitor's side seating, (Coleman Lane, I believe). And you may see a fairly significant parking area back there on "maps" or "google earth". You will NOT want to park there. There is NO fan access back there. You would have to walk all the way back around to the opposite side of the field to gain entrance, (a pretty significant hike, and somewhat uphill also.

Travel safe.

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Its game day and its time let our teams do the talking. Gonna be a cool and breezy day so please wrap up. Its a dry pitch, so there are no excuses for either team. Speed will be at a premium.

Good luck to both teams and may the best team win! Yeah right, go Generals! Lol Drive safely all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT