ADVERTISEMENT

Ejection for fighting

onlylabs

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2014
Midlothian
Can you please clarify for me the stipulations for an ejection for fighting. How subjective is the wording "fighting" allowed to be? Regardless of that answer what is the ejection period (that game plus how many more)? As you know most of these type of questions are loaded with a back story and opinions I'll give additional information that incident I'm asking about occurred at end of (right after to be honest) a play along the sideline. Offensive lineman blocking DB and continues to drive him out of bounds through the sideline "box" onto the track. DB shoves OL in the chest at end of all of that and they are separated. Shove was not a punch but it was sharp in its delivery. I understand much of that scenario is perspective driven so that is why I am looking for what "fighting" is based on wording of the rules. To me this is at worst personal foul on DB and at best off setting personal fouls. In this case DB was ejected for fighting.

Can you please clarify for me the stipulations for an ejection for fighting. How subjective is the wording "fighting" allowed to be? Regardless of that answer what is the ejection period (that game plus how many more)? As you know most of these type of questions are loaded with a back story and opinions I'll give additional information that incident I'm asking about occurred at end of (right after to be honest) a play along the sideline. Offensive lineman blocking DB and continues to drive him out of bounds through the sideline "box" onto the track. DB shoves OL in the chest at end of all of that and they are separated. Shove was not a punch but it was sharp in its delivery. I understand much of that scenario is perspective driven so that is why I am looking for what "fighting" is based on wording of the rules. To me this is at worst personal foul on DB and at best off setting personal fouls. In this case DB was ejected for fighting.

NFHS defines fighting in Rule 2-11: “Fighting is any attempt by a player or nonplayer to strike or engage a player or nonplayer in a combative manner unrelated to football. Such acts include, but are not limited to, attempts to strike an opponent(s) with the arm(s), hand(s), leg(s) or foot (feet), whether or not there is contact.”

As you mentioned, this is a judgment call on the part of the official. If the player wants to avoid the potential for a disqualification, they need to refrain from any instance that could be construed as such. That being said, a disqualification for fighting is a severe penalty as it carries a minimum 3 game suspension by the VHSL handbook. Remember, any personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct can be deemed flagrant and result in a disqualification. A non-fighting disqualification carries a one game suspension minimum. This is all up to the covering official to use good judgment and prescribe the necessary penalty.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT