ADVERTISEMENT

End of 1st, Essex v Luray tied, 6-6.

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
End of 1st Quarter - 6-6.

Luray scored TD, kickoff to Essex's Malik Martin who returns it 78 yards for score.

Yes, I was listening to the game when Martin scored, and the radio stream went down!
Keep us posted !

Essex up 9-6 at halftime. Essex kicked a 38 yard field goal by Leo Ayala.

Luray is playing very well, controlling clock well.

3rd quarter all Essex - EHS Coach Fulks and staff go to the air in 2nd half - 31 and 41 yard pass TDs to Hundley and Monroe.

23-6 Essex. Now, Luray just scored a TD to make score 23-13! end of 3rd quarter.

I think a week off hurts more than helps high school kids more than pros/college teams.

Luray was driving down 23-13 in 4th, Luray had 1st down and some momentum, then Essex's Malik Martin strips the ball from Luray ball carrier and Essex recovers ball.

Essex scores a few plays later to go up 30-13. 8 min left.

These updates are very surprising to me. I felt like Essex would get up big early and name their own score going into the game

Essex rb's should be runnin' like deers, but they are runnin' like mules. What's going on ?à

SAME HERE! NO MORE BYES !!!!

I think that the byes are hear to stay though. I either heard or read somewhere that next year 1A West will go to 12 teams as well. Also, 4A East (I think) also went to 12 teams. However, I am not positive on this so if known, please post.

There have been very few upsets overall since the realignment so this MAY become a trend in many classifications - 12 teams with the top 4 seeds having byes.

Essex 37, Luray 19...seconds left
Either a sleepwalk job or Luray hung in there, but Essex better pick it up rest of way.

FINAL Essex 37 Luray 19

Let's give credit to Luray for coming in hungry with a good game plan and time/clock management. Stats probably in Luray's favor in the 1st half.

However, the rust from the bye seemed to wear off in the 2nd, good halftime adjustments made, and the size of Essex seemed to take over in the 2nd half.

Sussex at Essex - next Saturday at 2 I think.

Very good gameplan by Luray and they are very well coached. Had 38 plays in the 1st half. 2nd half the Essex defense shut them down for the most part. Luray scored in the 1st q then in the 3rd on a botched snap by Essex where everybody thought it was an offsides and stood still. Last Luray TD came with 24 seconds left where Essex recovered a fumble and the whistle blew but Luray knocked the ball out of the Essex players hands and refs called a Luray TD. Next week will be another physical game and I know Sussex will be ready. Congrats to Luray on a good season and safe travels.

Last edited:
Still trying to figure how you score a touchdown when the ball is stripped at the 3 and never made it into the Endzone, only the running back did? Guess I will read up on new VHSL rules. The Refs comment "at this point what does it hurt to let them have 6 points?"

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Still trying to figure how you score a touchdown when the ball is stripped at the 3 and never made it into the Endzone, only the running back did? Guess I will read up on new VHSL rules. The Refs comment "at this point what does it hurt to let them have 6 points?"

Very good gameplan by Luray and they are very well coached. Had 38 plays in the 1st half. 2nd half the Essex defense shut them down for the most part. Luray scored in the 1st q then in the 3rd on a botched snap by Essex where everybody thought it was an offsides and stood still. Last Luray TD came with 24 seconds left where Essex recovered a fumble and the whistle blew but Luray knocked the ball out of the Essex players hands and refs called a Luray TD. Next week will be another physical game and I know Sussex will be ready. Congrats to Luray on a good season and safe travels.
If Essex gets to Riverheads they better step it up or they will get killed.

If Essex gets to Riverheads they better step it up or they will get killed.

Yea, I felt that for Essex to be on Riverheads level they needed to go up by at least 35 at some point in this game. Not a good game for the Trojans. Better show some improvement in the next couple of weeks.

I felt Riverheads should have blown Altavista out by more than a 41-0 score. Altavista was a BELOW AVERAGE team this year. So don't get to hyped up about that win. And why must Essex beat them by 35 to be on "Riverheads Level" or on any other teams level? That's crazy!!! Riverheads beat them 40-8. They scored 3 more points on Luray than Essex and Essex had a flat and poor 1st half. Although possible, but don't count on to many poor 1st halves by Essex. All about Sussex now. We'll plan for Big Red if we both make it to the big game.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Luray's last two TD's were on flukey plays. On the first it looked to me that the center might have snapped the ball early while the QB was looking away. The other score was a terribly bad ruling by the refs.
Luray had 3 good possessions. Their first where they got a couple first downs, their second when they scored and their last when they score after Essex was flagged for a horse collar on a 4th down stop.
I would say Essex out-gained Luray 3-1 after the 1st quarter.
Luray did a good job defensing Essex's run game but once the Trojans spread the field there were lots of mismatches that were exploited.

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
Essex needs to improve, but overall not bad. Luray played till the last whistle and that was nice to see. That is how you are supposed to play. I feel like sometimes I see teams give up if they think they aren't going to win. I don't know if it is giving up or just lose their fire so quick. Football is a long game and anything can happen. A good team can hang in there when the momentum flows away from them and feeds when the momentum is with them. In the playoffs you expect to see those swings throughout a game. As a fan I appreciate it.

I felt Riverheads should have blown Altavista out by more than a 41-0 score. Altavista was a BELOW AVERAGE team this year. So don't get to hyped up about that win. And why must Essex beat them by 35 to be on "Riverheads Level" or on any other teams level? That's crazy!!! Riverheads beat them 40-8. They scored 3 more points on Luray than Essex and Essex had a flat and poor 1st half. Although possible, but don't count on to many poor 1st halves by Essex. All about Sussex now. We'll plan for Big Red if we both make it to the big game.
riverheads could have scored more than 41 points they took there starters out, not getting to hyped about the win they played well the defense only allowed 3 first downs, playoff time u take 1 game at a time, a win is a win if u win by 1 or if u win by 50, if u keep winning the teams get harder and harder, riverheads has to worry about central Luneburg, and Essex need to worry about Sussex, so hopefully both teams keep winning and we can play each other, both teams have great football programs. GO BIG RED

Sounds like this game went about the way it was expected. Nice season for Luray and glad to hear they played until the final whistle. I look forward to this week and the next step for the remaining teams.

I will say I don't understand the back and forth between the two fan bases that may or may not get to meet up. Good luck to those that are still in it, cause you obviously are doing the right things.

Congrats to Essex on the win. If we are fortunate we will have a crack at each other later on, but that's a long way away at this point. I would suspect there are a few teams left on both sides of the brackets that would argue with those that are "crowning" one or the other of us. Tons of football left, strange things happen. As Mike Tyson once said and Rhonda Rousey found out first hand, everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth. Any team can be beat regardless of how heavily they are favored, because the games are played on fields, not notebooks and polls.

Again, congrats on the win and I for one won't engage in the rhetoric since the hyped up meeting is pure speculation at this point. We have a very good Lunenburg Central team coming to G-ville and that's all I care about at this point.

In 2 weeks if both teams are still standing then we can talk Essex vs Riverheads. I know the Essex staff is only taking it one game at a time and are only focused on Sussex and I'm almost certain Coach Casto and his staff are only worried about Lunenburg right now. There are 8 teams left and all are very good teams. I've seen film or highlights on all of them and any of the 8 remaining is capable of winning it all imo. It will be won on the field and the team that hoists the trophy in 3 weeks will have earned it. Good luck to all remaining and I pray for safe travels and all teams remain injury free. Gonna rest tonight and then start studying Sussex thoroughly as I know they are ready to bring it. God Bless to all

RedPrideNation...I agree with u 100%. Just cause Essex had a bad 1st half (9-6 Essex at the half) all of a sudden Essex is not on Riverheads level. Smh. Just like you, me and a couple others have said...it's all about next week, not some matchup that might not happen.

Essex did not score an offensive TD in the first half, that should be worrisome to the coaches. They either didn't scout well or didn't execute their game plan. It may be rust from the 2 week layoff, who knows, but they won't be around long if they continue like that. Really pointless to talk about playing RH's at this point, but they beat Luray 40-6

Essex did not score an offensive TD in the first half, that should be worrisome to the coaches. They either didn't scout well or didn't execute their game plan. It may be rust from the 2 week layoff, who knows, but they won't be around long if they continue like that. Really pointless to talk about playing RH's at this point, but they beat Luray 40-6
I have seen them both 1 time and Riverheads is nowhere near as athletic,but they run their offense flawlessly,if they dont turn the ball over they will be hard to handle.Riverheads had 3 big plays in the first half against Luray,that helped doom the Bulldogs.

(IF Essex and Riverheads continue to advance) the possible Riverheads v Essex situation reminds me of the Goochland state title loss three years ago.

The possible BIG game would be played in Salem (where Essex has struggled to play as great as they do in the East), Riverheads has excellent coaching, the Gladiator players are highly structured and disciplined. They are very effective offensively and defensively. They win with a detailed and planned system.

I would certainly think Riverheads are very aware of the Goochland game etc. and will plan accordingly.

I hope that that huge game comes about and the Essex seniors finally overcome that Salem hurdle (after three runner up experiences, which is quite awesome to make it that far every year.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT