ADVERTISEMENT

Ending a game early question.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Ref: Manchester 70, Hermitage 0 with six minutes to go in the first half. The game is haunted due to lightning.

It was then announced that the game was over, and would not be resumed.

What are the NFHS rules that allow this?

Last edited:
Common sense. Thw lightning give s everyone an out.

Once the game is halted for a reason such as lightning, then it is resumed when various conditions allow. In this case, even if the weather clears, the coaches and/or game management could easily say there's no point.

I had a JV game where the visiting team was way over-matched. It was 52-0 at halftime when there was a storm heading in. I told the Home coach that if we go to delay that's it the game is over. He said he wanted to wait it out. He had players he hadn't got into the game yet. (He was up by more than 50, as mentioned, and you could easily see this storm approaching).

I went to the visiting coach and said the home coach wants to wait out the storm and resume. He said if it's resumed, it will be at his field because his team is leaving.

Can the two head coaches simply agree, at any point during the game, for any reason, to call it over? If so, does the score stand or does it result in a 2-0 forfeit?

This ties into the ongoing topic on the 4a thread. Can do teams that are scheduled just agree to not play a game, without a forfeit or double forfeit? I think not, based on the only rules I can find addressing this.

68-3-1 Postponed or Suspended/Interrupted Games-Postponed or suspended games must be rescheduled for the same evening or the afternoon of the next calendar date, except for Sundays and except for extenuating circumstances approved by the district chairman if both schools involved are within the same district. If it is not a district contest, the VHSL Executive Director will rule on the extenuating circumstances. Friday games would be re- scheduled for Saturday; Saturday for Monday; and Monday for Tuesday.

68-3-2 All make-up games must be concluded by Tuesday preceding the first regional play-off date. Games not concluded by that day will be counted as a loss for both teams. If two schools cannot agree on a make-up date, the VHSL Executive Director shall set the date. A school may choose to forfeit only if approved by the VHSL Executive Director.

Can the two head coaches simply agree, at any point during the game, for any reason, to call it over? If so, does the score stand or does it result in a 2-0 forfeit?

This ties into the ongoing topic on the 4a thread. Can do teams that are scheduled just agree to not play a game, without a forfeit or double forfeit? I think not, based on the only rules I can find addressing this.

68-3-1 Postponed or Suspended/Interrupted Games-Postponed or suspended games must be rescheduled for the same evening or the afternoon of the next calendar date, except for Sundays and except for extenuating circumstances approved by the district chairman if both schools involved are within the same district. If it is not a district contest, the VHSL Executive Director will rule on the extenuating circumstances. Friday games would be re- scheduled for Saturday; Saturday for Monday; and Monday for Tuesday.

68-3-2 All make-up games must be concluded by Tuesday preceding the first regional play-off date. Games not concluded by that day will be counted as a loss for both teams. If two schools cannot agree on a make-up date, the VHSL Executive Director shall set the date. A school may choose to forfeit only if approved by the VHSL Executive Director.

Rule 3-1-3
ART. 3 . . . A period or periods may be shortened in any emergency by agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee. By mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee, any remaining period may be shortened at any time or the game terminated.

If the game starts and is halted, the score will stand as is. i think the score of a forfeit is actually 1-0.

I'm not at all sure what would happen if the game isn't played because there are playoff points at stake. I remember that there was a completely non-competitive game that was postponed because of a storm a couple years ago, and one team had no interest in making it up. In fact, it was never played. Seems like that was going to have an affect on home field advantage in the playoffs, but I don't remember if the power points were simply divided by 9 or if it was considered a forfeit.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT