ADVERTISEMENT

Enrollment figures from around the area just for discussion

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
Doing this because I like numbers and a lot of talking among us lay persons about different setups regarding districts and formats. These figures are from 2017 and from western part of state.

Appomattox Raiders 745
Dan River 685
Gretna 576
William Campbell Generals 505
North Cross private school Roanoke 489
Roanoke Catholic private school 545
Glenvar Salem Roanoke County 549
James River Buchanan Northern Botetourt 578
Carroll County Cavaliers 1137
Abingdon Falcons 852
Marion 691
Halifax County 1668
G.W. Danville 1473
Franklin County 2157
Bassett 1169
Magna Vista 1011
Tunstall 978
Patrick County 1019
Martinsville 671

Ok while writing just for enrollment purposes most of the Piedmont schools are close to the same enrollment figures as the Seminole schools.

E.C. Glass 1412 Lynchburg City
Jefferson forest 1375
Amherst County 1317
Liberty Christian 1164
Heritage 1038
Brookville 940
Liberty 879
Rustburg 868

Patrick Henry Roanoke City 1926
William Fleming Roanoke City 1560
Pulaski County 1420
Salem City 1201
Blacksburg 1148
William Byrd Roanoke County 1141
Christiansburg 1090
Staunton River Eastern Bedford County close to William Byrd 1042
Lord Botetourt 1027
Hidden Valley Roanoke County 1022
Northside Roanoke County 1005
Cave Spring Roanoke County 988

One of the things that strikes me is on the last two lists is that most of the schools are very close. In the bottom list 9 of the 12 schools are within 5 to 30 minutes of each other and Franklin County can be added to that mix. the same is true of the Seminole teams I would guess. Maybe we could have a coastal atlantic look which would resemble Acc where you would play different teams every two years and a couple out of district.

Reactions: mbonape1
I guess that sooner or later there will almost have to be a flurry of district changes. There seems to be a lot of enrollment changes, both up and down, across the state. I wonder how these changes, say over the last decade, compare to the decade or so, prior to?

I'm a little surprised that we haven't seen some agreements within districts to allow some teams, (usually smaller schools), skip playing the biggest district schools in just football. But keep their matchups in all other sports.

I know that Colonial Heights, (Class 3), told Thomas Dale, (Class 6), (both Central District members), that they would no longer play them in football. (This is an option afforded them by VHSL rules). But Thomas Dale took the hard line and said that they would no longer play them then, in any other sports.

Incidently, CH filled the TD slot with Appomattox. Talk about jumping out of the pan and into the fire? Not good!

One issue I have not seen discussed on here and it reminded me of it looking at the Piedmont District is budgets and how they are done. I am not advocating any thing but just stating that all localities have issues with budgets which include teacher pay and their benefits. Teacher pay and health insurance are two issues which no doubt come into play.

One issue I have not seen discussed on here and it reminded me of it looking at the Piedmont District is budgets and how they are done. I am not advocating any thing but just stating that all localities have issues with budgets which include teacher pay and their benefits. Teacher pay and health insurance are two issues which no doubt come into play.

Can you explain further please? I'm not sure I'm following your tie-in to enrollment numbers.
Thanks

What I was thinking was the enrollment figures are not extremely low on the Piedmont but, as you know. coaching is so big in high school sports and it is hard everywhere but the salaries for teachers vary so much. and coaches are teachers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT