ADVERTISEMENT

Enrollment numbers.

Class 1 <475 (48 schools) Smallest: Highland 58, Largest: Riverheads 474.5
Class 2 475-799 (51 schools) Smallest: Radford 490, Largest: Goochland 787
Class 3 800-1149 (48 schools) Smallest: Thomas Jefferson-Richmond 607, Largest: Tabb 1168
Class 4 1150-1524 (52 schools) Smallest: Charlottesville 1126, Largest: Sherando 1522
Class 5 1525-1924 (54 schools) Smallest: Warwick 1450, Largest: Thomas Edison 1926
Class 6 >1925 (55 schools) Smallest: Clover Hill 1843, Largest: TC Williams 3515

There is some overlap, as you can see.

Class 3 800-1149 (48 schools) Smallest: Thomas Jefferson-Richmond 607, Largest: Tabb 1168
Class 4 1150-1524 (52 schools) Smallest: Charlottesville 1126, Largest: Sherando 1522
Class 5 1525-1924 (54 schools) Smallest: Warwick 1450, Largest: Thomas Edison 1926
Class 6 >1925 (55 schools) Smallest: Clover Hill 1843, Largest: TC Williams 3515

How did Riverheads come up with half a student?

Reactions: gwb16
It looks like based on the figures provided above, this is not a hard stop value in any classification. I am appalled that such a thing is allowed.
I generally don't have a problem with smaller teams playing up a class, if it's reasonable and their choice. Good for them. Larger teams should never be allowed to play down.

Reactions: The G-Man
It is allowed for location of school and travel
That's a non-factor since we have mixed districts. The classifications are not used for that. They are used for the postseason, in which a team can potentially play anyone in the state.

Abingdon's closest 3A competition is more than 100 miles away. How else can you accomplish change without making them a D2 and having 900-1000 students? The same thing would happen in Lee County, if Lee and Thomas Walker consolidated, but the county voted "no" to the bond referendum that would have funded a new school for whole county.

In C3 Abingdon's case, there's no need for change. They have plenty of similarly sized schools to play within their district. C2 Virginia, Richlands, and Marion are each closer in size to Abingdon than the largest C3 school, Tabb. But the cutoff has to be somewhere. VHSL has determined that it is more fair for Abingdon (886) to potentially face C3 Tabb (1168) than it is to face C2 Radford (490) in a possible state championship. Come playoff time though, Abingdon is going to have to travel. It sucks for them, but it is what it is.

District alignments are based more on geography. Classification for postseason competition is based on size. To Pride's point, there shouldn't be overlap, but enrollments do fluctutate. Schools whose enrollments fall near the cutoff shouldn't be expected to bounce back and forth between classifications every cycle because they gain or lose an insignificant number of kids.

Aside from having six classes instead of four, VHSL's classifications are pretty fair. My only gripe is the small Richmond city schools. They really should be in class 2 instead of 3.

How did Riverheads come up with half a student?

Honest John: You must be fairly new on here because this debate over Riverheads' enrollment has been going on for years. They are accused of everything including collusion with the Russians. And it doesn't help that one of our very own fans made up the 474.5 and perpetuates it every time the mood strikes him.

THANK YOU.it does seem to be a big difference from smallest school in a class to the largest.

Isnt TC Williams the school from Remember The Titans?

Thanks for posting this....I wanted to know the numbers as well.

Riverheads student count as of last week was 451 . I was in the office to get that info . I will start looking for 23.5 football players to move to Greenville before next season . lol

Honest John: You must be fairly new on here because this debate over Riverheads' enrollment has been going on for years. They are accused of everything including collusion with the Russians. And it doesn't help that one of our very own fans made up the 474.5 and perpetuates it every time the mood strikes him.
No, I am not new on here, just wondering how they came up with the half student.

I will say again that I enjoyed the 4 years in 2A as a fan. We got to see some different teams and although there was no ring during that time, I considered what we accomplished a success.

Now I want to make a general comment that I hope gets some dialogue but it’s not to start a war on this. Why is this only a problem with the football people? It’s not as if the Red team is grabbing chips in every sport and if the numbers were skewed as the conspiracy theorist say, then I would expect more of a presence in other sports.

A few years ago someone asked why that area isn’t growing as fast as the rest of the area and the numbers seem to be going down. Well I want to say that there is some validity to that. There are not as many people moving out into that area as there are no large subdivisions like there are in other parts of the county. And furthermore the county has changed the school lines again. If they didn’t then we may be 2A but I would almost guarantee Wilson would go to 3A. Stuart’s Draft is kinda caught in the middle as they gained kids from both. Or at least that was my understanding.

What would really be nice is if Gap was absorbed into RHS and Fort. Then you would have a number correct 2A team in Greenville and an infusion of numbers/talent st Fort 3A. Simply put there are 5 county schools and 2 city schools and the concentration of the population is the two cities and the area between them. Draft is the outlier in this because they have industry so people live very close by.

Anyone that is familiar with the area knows exactly what I am talking about. Not admitting or defending any wrongdoing. I think anyone that truly believes that a school system would forgoe government money for a chance at glory is foolish.

Soapbox is getting wobbly so I gotta jump back down. Good luck to all those left in the playoffs.

I will say again that I enjoyed the 4 years in 2A as a fan. We got to see some different teams and although there was no ring during that time, I considered what we accomplished a success.

Now I want to make a general comment that I hope gets some dialogue but it’s not to start a war on this. Why is this only a problem with the football people? It’s not as if the Red team is grabbing chips in every sport and if the numbers were skewed as the conspiracy theorist say, then I would expect more of a presence in other sports.

A few years ago someone asked why that area isn’t growing as fast as the rest of the area and the numbers seem to be going down. Well I want to say that there is some validity to that. There are not as many people moving out into that area as there are no large subdivisions like there are in other parts of the county. And furthermore the county has changed the school lines again. If they didn’t then we may be 2A but I would almost guarantee Wilson would go to 3A. Stuart’s Draft is kinda caught in the middle as they gained kids from both. Or at least that was my understanding.

What would really be nice is if Gap was absorbed into RHS and Fort. Then you would have a number correct 2A team in Greenville and an infusion of numbers/talent st Fort 3A. Simply put there are 5 county schools and 2 city schools and the concentration of the population is the two cities and the area between them. Draft is the outlier in this because they have industry so people live very close by.

Anyone that is familiar with the area knows exactly what I am talking about. Not admitting or defending any wrongdoing. I think anyone that truly believes that a school system would forgoe government money for a chance at glory is foolish.

Soapbox is getting wobbly so I gotta jump back down. Good luck to all those left in the playoffs.
I really don't no how to answer this but Luray has done very well since being moved up a class even though their enrollment is nowhere near some Class 2 schools and I'm sure Riverheads would too.

Those numbers aren't true as of today I can assure you (which we all know) I know those were probably the ADM as last checked for classification. I know there are a couple of schools that are in the mid 800's in 2A as of the start of the school year. That is a fact. Unfortunately, always a few schools that will be on that "up or down" bubble. VHSL put that 5% rule (over the highest school's previous ADM within the classification" for mid cycle for schools. As long as they aren't over 5% they can stay for 4 years in that classification. IF they are over, they move up after 2 years. I think its a bit too high but just my opinion. 5% over the highest school creates a bigger gap for the schools on the small side of each bubble.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I mentioned this same thing a couple years ago during one of the 800 million Riverheads enrollment debates and someone on here informed me that the number that is sent to the VHSL is not the final number that they get funding for. Allegedly, the number sent to the VHSL is a projection, then later/towards the end of the year they have a "real", more accurate number that the funding is based on, but that ending number isn't used when the VHSL classifies teams by division.

I did not have the resources to verify this at the time, and I still don't, but perhaps someone can clear that up for me, because based on my understanding (similarly to how it was explained to me years ago by a poster on here) a school could say they have 750 kids in the projection, get money for 750 kids; then send the final figure of 1,000, and get money for the additional 250 after the final figure is sent. On the flip side, if they overestimate, I guess they have to return funds?

Ironically, Central of Woodstock, a highly successful team this year, is one that has been shuffled up and down more times than they can count. But they seem to be doing OK.

The ADM is the average daily membership of the school up to that point in the year. It helps with the fact that some schools have a transient population that fluctuates greatly from the beginning of the year to the end. This gives a more accurate consistent number.

So a couple of points hear.
1.Some schools do not count their kids with disabilities. Which is understandable. But what Is not above board is certain schools do not count their vocational students because the have off-site classrooms.
2. You can give an estimate to VHSL for classification numbers and then change it later to the actual true higher number to get more funding.
Grayson county got in trouble for reporting higher numbers than they actually had to get more funding a couple of years back

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT