ADVERTISEMENT

Essex update - Trojans move into 1st in NND

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Essex had to wait about a month into the basketball season to begin practice, had like one or two practices, then started the season 0-1 in the NND (2-4 overall). Since then, the E boys have been starting to gel, winning 3 of their next 4 games (only loss to 6A Riverbend by 5). As of yesterday, Essex is now 3-1 NND (5-5) and has claimed the top spot (for now) in the tough and very competitive NND. Essex just knocked off another 1A Top Ten team at W&L Friday 67-58, even without the services of EHS leading scorer Kenny Acree (17 points a game, stats from Rapp Times).

Essex is fairly young team (loaded with Juniors) and multiple players play throughout the game. Often a different star on any given night. Rising Sophomore Sensation 6'4 Sardaar Calhoun has been balling (as they say) of late with 25 points v W&L and 23 the game before v Rapp. (Calhoun helped out the Trojans as a waterboy during his middle school days). Essex expects another probable starter (and defensive standout) Malik Martin to return to the team very soon (Martin has been recovering from an injury during the State title football game suffered v Altavista and is still waiting to be cleared).

The NND looks to be a tight, competitive race again this season. I've only seen two Essex games (one at the beginning of the season and one recently) and its starting to look kinda good....Major improvement indeed and if the Trojans can stay humble, listen to their coaches, and continue to work hard as a team, it might be an exciting basketball season to come in ole Tappahannock...

This post was edited on 1/20 5:08 PM by uvacavs1

Hey uvacavs1 - If you're able to and have the scores for Essex, shoot me an e-mail (hatfieldsports@gmail.com) - finding some of the results in the NND and 1A is sometimes tricky... definitely appreciate the info!

Have spoken to a couple of 1A coaches over the weekend and both told me that Essex is the team to watch out for in February, so sounds like they will have a shot to move into the Top Ten and make plenty of noise...

Follow Hatfield Sports on Twitter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT