ADVERTISEMENT

EV @ King George live

Thanks for the info OCBoy! At the half: KG 28 EV27. Could the missed extra point be the difference in the game? An exciting first half with lots of big plays for both teams.

Reactions: OCBoy
Both teams are a little better than I expected. EV’s best offensive threat (Will Butler) is no longer on the team but they have some speed. Think KG will be able to score on any of the big 3 in the 804, just don’t know how many stops they can get.

Reactions: m-squared
At the end of the 3rd: KG 28 EV 27. No way did I expect a scoreless 3rd quarter. Much different than the first half!

Final: KG 42 EV 40. Difference was the missed extra points. If EV makes the first, they probably kick the later one instead of going for 2. It was close on the 2 point conversion. There were a couple of calls that the runner was down that I thought maybe could have gone the other way and been fumbles. Great game though between two evenly matched teams.

I'd say the difference was EV getting the ball back with 1:26 left in the 1st half (receiving in the 2nd half kickoff and up by 7, or 6, can't remember) and opting for 3 straight pass plays. They ran off 30 seconds in that possession. King george scored again to close the half. Someone said coaching was EV's biggest weakness and I'm starting to think they were right. Neither team is going to compete with Dinwiddie, Varina or Huguenot. EV had an outside shot, but the Will Butler thing was the proverbial straw. I'm not going to comment on what happened because I've heard conflicting stories. It's been a tough season for EV, but they're still in the conversation which is a testament to a strong program.

People often over look how intense of rivalry game this is. Mistakes happen and it's hard to read were both teams stand. I recognize the talent EV and KG have. Dinwiddie has mixed it up with both teams several times and it's been a battle every game.

Who do you want? A very hot KG team capable of scoring a ton of points or an EV team who traditionally plays sound defense who may be playing with a chip on their shoulder.
Either way you are going to get a proven playoff commodity.

If the playoffs started today these two would face off in the first round. Ouch!

Last edited:
I'd say the difference was EV getting the ball back with 1:26 left in the 1st half (receiving in the 2nd half kickoff and up by 7, or 6, can't remember) and opting for 3 straight pass plays. They ran off 30 seconds in that possession. King george scored again to close the half. Someone said coaching was EV's biggest weakness and I'm starting to think they were right. Neither team is going to compete with Dinwiddie, Varina or Huguenot. EV had an outside shot, but the Will Butler thing was the proverbial straw. I'm not going to comment on what happened because I've heard conflicting stories. It's been a tough season for EV, but they're still in the conversation which is a testament to a strong program.
Bingo! Coaching is the first problem.

Reactions: Kangarew113
I was thinking as that last EV first half possession was playing out that they were giving KG enough time to score if they didn't pick up a first down. I've no way of knowing for sure, but I'm thinking they wanted to score on that last first half possession and follow that up with a score the first possession of the second half. I've been told by coaches that the reason they defer when they win the toss is the possibility of back-to-back scores on the last possession of the first half and the first possession of the second half. I've seen that work out, but not very often.

Reactions: Kangarew113
My take:

I’m never gonna speak evil on kids. They are actually legit. I’m not a fan of EV’s staff. Happened to sit on their sideline on Friday and watched how players interacted with players and coaches interacted with players. No comradely IMO.. Never thought they believed they were going to win this game. Everything seemed forced. Heard a few EV fans talk poorly on the Butler kid. Not a good look.. I’ve heard from reliable sources about what went down and it’s sad how they’re killing that kid’s name. I was glad that the better program won. EV has plenty of athletes and is probably the biggest team in the region. Hull is legit when he plays confident.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
@BoKnowsSports, you have been spot on about EV and Hull for two years. I thought they were super talented last year and created some bad matchups for teams. Butler's size was a perfect example, but I agree about the QB being cute with ball. I have no clue about the staff; however, I believe they overthink things and put the team in bad spots. Still don't understand why they put Clatterbuck on the d line against us. Took away all of his movement and ability to stop the run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT