ADVERTISEMENT

EV starting to look like a one and done in the playoffs

Aug 11, 2014
I am very concerned about what I have seen over the last 3 weeks. I deal with trends/charts all week and the trend on EV football right now is not good. You saw it for a minute against Brentsville, which I thought, ok they started slow off the bye week. You saw it for a half against Liberty, but I thought, Liberty is a good program that just got healthy. Then you saw it last night for all but maybe 8 minutes against a very average Fauquier team. Yes the defense played well, but Fauquier is pretty one dimensional. If the last 2 weeks were playoff games, they would have lost them both. They look uninspired or bored or cocky. I said it earlier in the year, this team is made up of good players playing great together. The closest thing they have to a stud is Diago (Ok he is a stud!). The good and bad about playing "together" is it goes both ways. The morale and excitement by the team can lift you or bring you down. Maybe they are satisfied with going 10-0, maybe that's all they are playing for. I will say they have played their best football this year when their backs were against the wall, so i will hold on to that as a ray of hope. Just not sure that will be enough to win games in the playoffs.
One other note:
It's hard to tell who the leaders of the team are, as you don't see any kids walking the sideline talking the team up. Generally, you can tell who the seniors are on teams by how they carry themselves and lead. I don't see that right now for EV.

Reactions: OCBoy
I am very concerned about what I have seen over the last 3 weeks. I deal with trends/charts all week and the trend on EV football right now is not good. You saw it for a minute against Brentsville, which I thought, ok they started slow off the bye week. You saw it for a half against Liberty, but I thought, Liberty is a good program that just got healthy. Then you saw it last night for all but maybe 8 minutes against a very average Fauquier team. Yes the defense played well, but Fauquier is pretty one dimensional. If the last 2 weeks were playoff games, they would have lost them both. They look uninspired or bored or cocky. I said it earlier in the year, this team is made up of good players playing great together. The closest thing they have to a stud is Diago (Ok he is a stud!). The good and bad about playing "together" is it goes both ways. The morale and excitement by the team can lift you or bring you down. Maybe they are satisfied with going 10-0, maybe that's all they are playing for. I will say they have played their best football this year when their backs were against the wall, so i will hold on to that as a ray of hope. Just not sure that will be enough to win games in the playoffs.
One other note:
It's hard to tell who the leaders of the team are, as you don't see any kids walking the sideline talking the team up. Generally, you can tell who the seniors are on teams by how they carry themselves and lead. I don't see that right now for EV.

I don't think they're one and done. They should get a nice, easy draw in the first round, and should handle whoever comes at them in the second round. However, I don't think you can discount your instincts. I have had feelings like this about teams I've followed who looked real good mid season, and then kept winning but not impressively, and it has always turned into an exit before most people expected int the playoffs.

Hopefully, your Cyclones will get back to form this week and roll into the playoffs with a head of steam.

Yes I hope they turn it around as well. There is no easy draw per say waiting for them. I promise you King George and Courtland are better than Fauquier. I don't think they are as good as EV, but if we were playing them last night we would have turned the pads in. AND as it sits right now a potential rematch with Chancellor is looming in the second round. There is no way Chancellor comes into that game as cocky as they were in the first. I still see the talent EV has, but too many players are going through the motions right now out there. Maybe they can turn it back on. I know the coaching staff can't like what they are seeing. But like I mentioned in the first post, not sure about the team leadership right now. Maybe basketball season already started for some of them...

It's tough to get undefeated high school kids to come out on fire for every game. Psychologically its easy to think you win just because you show up, and to "forget" how much hard work it took for you to get there. Young kids also have such and egocentric view of the universe, they forget the other team has coaches and players who want to win just as badly. A "come to Jesus" practice Monday might be in order.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Well said! It is a long season, and they had some signature program wins early and that appears to be enough for these kids to feel fulfilled. They can already look back at this year and say we accomplished this... I want to use the word selfish, but it might be too strong. I have stated many times that this program continues to grow. Teams before this took pride in changing the program step by step. This team has a chance to do that and more. It's hard for kids to look past there own success and want more for the whole. I want to see someone step up and put this team on his back (both in his play and leadership). I look forward to seeing how they react.

Well said! It is a long season, and they had some signature program wins early and that appears to be enough for these kids to feel fulfilled. They can already look back at this year and say we accomplished this... I want to use the word selfish, but it might be too strong. I have stated many times that this program continues to grow. Teams before this took pride in changing the program step by step. This team has a chance to do that and more. It's hard for kids to look past there own success and want more for the whole. I want to see someone step up and put this team on his back (both in his play and leadership). I look forward to seeing how they react.
I coach cross country at Orange, and teach math. The phenomenon I have felt for a while that we have to overcome is what I call the "Good Enough for Orange" syndrome. I think we have a lot of this in all sports, but I will just look at my own sport.

We always are comparing ourselves to our past teams, and our kids will set a school record or finish in sixth place at some big meet and we'll celebrate. The thing is, we need to aim higher. I'm tired of writing on the announcements, we came in fifth place in the Jefferson District meet which is our best finish since 1978 or whatever.

When I first got to Orange we laughed about advancing to Regionals. It seemed so impossible. One day I just thought to myself, why is Western Albemarle so much better than us? There's no reason for it. It's just tying your shoes and going for a run. We can do that as well in Orange as in Crozet. We're pointed in the right direction, but we get too satisfied with reaching marginal goals. It's time to start thinking about state titles. If not, it's time for me to retire, because I'm not really getting the team anywhere.

I coach cross country at Orange, and teach math. The phenomenon I have felt for a while that we have to overcome is what I call the "Good Enough for Orange" syndrome. I think we have a lot of this in all sports, but I will just look at my own sport.

We always are comparing ourselves to our past teams, and our kids will set a school record or finish in sixth place at some big meet and we'll celebrate. The thing is, we need to aim higher. I'm tired of writing on the announcements, we came in fifth place in the Jefferson District meet which is our best finish since 1978 or whatever.

When I first got to Orange we laughed about advancing to Regionals. It seemed so impossible. One day I just thought to myself, why is Western Albemarle so much better than us? There's no reason for it. It's just tying your shoes and going for a run. We can do that as well in Orange as in Crozet. We're pointed in the right direction, but we get too satisfied with reaching marginal goals. It's time to start thinking about state titles. If not, it's time for me to retire, because I'm not really getting the team anywhere.

I should point out that after coaching football and baseball, I find coaching cross country and track far different. However, the one thing that is the same is the psychology of the stuff. You've got to have ultimate goals and intermittent goals, but reaching intermittent goals CANNOT be enough for you. You've got to want it all.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
That's pretty good stuff!! I have told my kids many times over.. don't try to be the best in Culpeper, it means nothing. Most kids stop there. They are better than all the kids they know, but Culpeper is a small town. Reach higher! I have a saying I use with my kids:
When you think you are better than you are, it keeps you from getting better than you are.

One other note:
I agree uninspired football I'm seeing. Special teams looked atrocious last night. Then tack on all the penalties that shouldn't be happening this time of year especially against a weak fauquier team

It's tough playing 6 or 7 in a row that u know you're suppose to win....by 20+ points each. What's hard is turning that switch back on when you have to. They have looked flat....and since Kettle Run just lost to Manassas Park last night, it's gonna be hard to get up for next weeks game against KR. I guess we'll see what they got during the 1st round. Should be a tough game whoever it is.

It's tough playing 6 or 7 in a row that u know you're suppose to win....by 20+ points each. What's hard is turning that switch back on when you have to. They have looked flat....and since Kettle Run just lost to Manassas Park last night, it's gonna be hard to get up for next weeks game against KR. I guess we'll see what they got during the 1st round. Should be a tough game whoever it is.
It's looking more and more like Courtland or King George

Most definitely a different feel from the Sherando game until now. I hope the intensity picks up or who knows what will happen come playoff time.

I'll tell you one player that you don't have to worry about....RB #17. That kid delivers a shot to any defender that's in the way. He's got a lot more opportunities the last two weeks and looks real good. His intensity isn't lacking at all. He's young so I'm not sure if he can provide leadership or not, but he definitely leads by example.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT