ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone interested in LCA situation, look here

one man

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
http://www.hudl.com/team/13977/roster

This is their current roster for 2015-2016. 41 players currently listed. Many without numbers or grade levels listed. I've taken a screen shot, I'm interested to see how this roster compares with their opening game roster. Don't take me out of context here, it's obvious the roster will change from now until game 1. My concern is where the new guys will have come from. If they are coming up from JV or playing for the first time or have transferred from Heritage or Glass, then by VHSL rules that is all ok. Keep your eyes open people, all we want is a level playing field.

Here is a look at their upcoming schedule

Aug 28, 2015 7:30 PM Word of God Academy Home
Sep 04, 2015 7:00 PM Brunswick High School Away
Sep 12, 2015 2:00 PM Bishop McNamara High School Away
Sep 18, 2015 7:30 PM Avalon High School Home
Sep 25, 2015 7:30 PM Woodberry Forest High School Home
Oct 02, 2015 7:30 PM Maury High School Home
Oct 09, 2015 7:30 PM Charlotte Christian High School Home
Oct 16, 2015 7:30 PM Fork Union Military Academy Home
Oct 30, 2015 7:00 PM Franklin County High School Away
Nov 06, 2015 7:00 PM Benedictine College Preparatory
Home

I don't know a whole lot about those schools but I'd assume they'll only be challenged by Maury, Woodberry Forest, Charlotte Christian and Benedictine. They are going to make the playoffs and if they win 8-9 games, they'll be hosting a playoff game. For all the complaints about revenue and travel, looks nice having 7 home games and 3 away. Regardless of who you play, I'd expect more gate with 7 home games than 5. If the schedule flips next year then I guess my point is mute. As they probably wanted all along, all eyes will now be on LCA for this upcoming season.

Maury has been down, so I don't think they will be much of a challenge.

McNamara is decent. LCA beat them 21-18 last year. Avalon has some stud players but their team was nothing special.

Link to VHSL handbook changes regarding LCA:

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/vhsl-2015-handbook-changes-for-membership-meeting-5-20-15.pdf

Important takeaways for me were these:

Students who will be 5th year seniors will be exempt from the previous rule and are eligible for the 2015-2016 year. Starting in 2016, LCA will then have to comply with the rule disallowing 5th year seniors.
Students at LCA, Heritage, EC Glass will be given 1 time transfer exemption this year, meaning students at any of the three schools can transfer to the another, as long as they show proof of residence in the school zone they plan on moving too. For next year only, they won't be required to sit out for one year, they'll be eligible this fall if they transfer over the summer.
LCA can receive transfers from any private school in VA, home school in VA or Out of State school, as long as said transfer provides proof of residence in Lynchburg City. Said transfers would be eligible immediately.

All in all, after this year, the 5th year situation will be gone and the attendance zone is set as Lynchburg City. LCA can still give schollies and full rides to LU can be looked at as an advantage. I somewhat understand why they would let the 5th year seniors finish their career but can we get a 1 year exemption and have the guys who are graduating in the coming weeks come back and suit up for us this fall only? Bottom line, they are a private school, they are too good be a public school, why do they want to play sports with the public schools now?

At the end of the day though, they are here to stay. I guess the only thing left to say is; Welcome to the conference LCA, look forward to competing against you in the future.

I'll go back into hiding for a while now following my few day binge over this news.

Last edited:
Reactions: tommythecpa
I don't understand why vhsl had to rush this for upcoming season. They needed to allow 1-2 years for LCA or other private schools to weed thru 19 year old seniors. So what happens to the 10th grader who is 17 or the 9th grader who is 16...will they be grandfathered in to play as a19 year old senior or will they have to move up a grade.

Just to help set the record straight. I know coaches on both sides of this. One thing I know is a big deal is the "5th year" issue. I clearly get it. You start school in 9th grade, you have 8 semesters. I always hear people throw out the 19 year olds playing on teams. Just to be clear. The private school age limit is the same as public schools last I checked. You cannot turn 19 years old on or before August 1 of the senior year. So if I turned 16 in November of my freshman year, I would turn 19 in November of my senior year. I would be eligible at either place. Assuming I was in my 7-8 semester.

Just talked to a college coach in Florida. Said the age thing is similar but gets pushed because kids are reclassed in the 8th grade thus never starting their 8 semesters.

I think it's called "gray-shirting". I have seen it done in public schools with "studs". But it's done very early in process and no one ever notices it.

The more I think about LCA, I do not think the Bulldogs will dominate in football the way some think they will, especially at D4.. They do not have the team they had for past few years, talent wise.

Reactions: wikki
The more I think about LCA, I do not think the Bulldogs will dominate in football the way some think they will, especially at D4.. They do not have the team they had for past few years, talent wise.
That is what I have been hearing also. They will probably lose more than they ever have, if you think about it. They dominated those small private schools, but when they get to the playoffs, it will be interesting.

I've never been that impressed with LCA we scrimmaged them for few years when amherst had a so so team think LCA won by 1 TD. Other years they won by few TD but those amherst team where really down. And there gonna get tested with the district there in jf with Christmas heritage with bailey glass with woody. Amherst might be relevant some day if they do away with the fool.

Besides the have to get to the state championship game to play at home.

Just saying I think people give LCA to much credit when it comes to football.

Last edited:
I agree Amherst was down the times they played LCA and the first year they only won by 2, Kirby got hurt prior to that game and had to have surgery on his hand and could not play. All I can say is I never cheer for JF but will when they play LCA

Last edited:
I cannot believe the stance the Lynchburg City Schools is taking on the LCA issue, i.e. not allowing Coaches and ADs to comment to the Media. The First Amendment allows for freedom of speech, yet LCS has banned them from speaking.
The only problem I have with the whole deal is LCA should be 3A instead of 4A.

I cannot believe the stance the Lynchburg City Schools is taking on the LCA issue, i.e. not allowing Coaches and ADs to comment to the Media. The First Amendment allows for freedom of speech, yet LCS has banned them from speaking.
It's a done deal. What is there to comment on? I'm sure the VHSL has strongly recommended this stance to make the transition seem seamless. I find it highly unlikely that LCS likes this whole deal but it doesn't matter if they say so. Nothing will change. Time to simply accept and move on.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
LCA chose to pick 2 territories (EC Glass and Heritage- city of Lynchburg) therefore they had to use the *1.5 differential. They could have picked one territory and not had the multiplier. Their enrollment is just over 800, so with the differential that comes to a little over 1200, making them 4a.

They wanted to be in the VHSL and agreed to the terms. The differential multiplier is a standard feature in other states where pubs/private play. LCA seems to be okay with the classification. I expect they'll have a difficult transition going from playing private schools most weeks to a Seminole schedule where every team has won a state title.

It'll be interesting to see how they will blend in with the Seminole. New coaches have made a tough district into arguably the best in the state.

It's a done deal. What is there to comment on? I'm sure the VHSL has strongly recommended this stance to make the transition seem seamless. I find it highly unlikely that LCS likes this whole deal but it doesn't matter if they say so. Nothing will change. Time to simply accept and move on.
True nothing will change, but people are going to continue to discuss it for quite a while, me included. Just venting a little. It is touchy subject for me for many reasons

I assume by now that virtually all public school football schedules are set for the upcoming two year cycle?

So, does LCA just play their private school schedule for the next two years? What formula does the VHSL use to classify the LCA opponents? Since these private school opponents have not made application to the VHSL, (to this point, as far as anyone knows), I assume the VHSL uses whatever method they decide is appropriate to make this determination? It would not be up to the private school to make this classification, since they have no standing with the VHSL.

I think it was stated that LCA had only eight games last season? And has only eight scheduled for this season? I could see them finding two more privates somewhere for the next two years. But, barring something drastic occurring, I think it will be the 17/18 season before they will have a regular season game against a public school opponent, (in football).?

I think it was stated that LCA had only eight games last season? And has only eight scheduled for this season? I could see them finding two more privates somewhere for the next two years. But, barring something drastic occurring, I think it will be the 17/18 season before they will have a regular season game against a public school opponent, (in football).?

LCA was scheduled to play 3 pubs this year: Brunswick, Maury, and Franklin County. They actually have 10 games scheduled this year, only 8 last year. Schedules are generally done for 2 year cycles and they are usually made public by June. That being said most schools have already got their schedule done, the VHSL just hasn't published them yet.

As you said more than likely they won't play a full slate of PS till '17. That's when they'll start the full Seminole schedule.

As far as point calculations go, I assume they'll use the 1.5 multiplier and double any boys-only schools to figure LCA's points.

Last year they were 5-3 so their points would not have been very good. I'm just guessing, but that would probably put them in the 10-14 seed range because some of their opponents would probably be considered 2a and below. They'd probably be a pretty tough out in that first round for a 3-7 seed.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm excited to see what will happen when we get to the playoffs this year with LCA in the mix. I'm a '92 graduate of LCA so seeing them in the VHSL is pretty cool for me.

I understand people being upset by their admission, but I believe they will add a lot of excitement to the Lynchburg football landscape. If LCA and Salem get pitted against one another, I hope Salem takes them out to the woodshed and lays the wood to them. It would be really cool for me to see LCA playing the Spartans in Salem Stadium. I never envisioned that happening, when I graduated I had 55 classmates. Now each class has as many students as the cumulative 9-12 had back then.

I'm really excited to see how they'll fare in the Seminole. There are no gimme games- no Carroll or Patrick Co in that district for sure. With the addition of all the new coaches, finishing in the top half of the Seminole will be a mighty big chore.

Last edited:
If they held a vote today for the Virginia Lottery, I would not vote for it. But, it is legal and I occasionally buy a lottery ticket. And I certainly pay a little more attention when the pot starts getting absurdly large.

I would not vote or agree to permit private schools to join the VHSL. But, they are being admitted and I will join Mike in having fun with the new excitement this will bring to high school sports.

It's like the Oakland Raiders of old, or the Dallas Cowboys. You either love them, or you love to hate them. Either way, it is a reason to pay attention to their games.

Most of us on the forum during this dormant period do not need anything to get us excited about high school football. But many don't give football a thought until halfway through the season. So, it can't hurt to have a few more folks have a heightened awareness of Friday night football.

Reactions: mike salem
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT