ADVERTISEMENT

Explain the bye teams

Looks like the remaining 4 teams were 3-7 or worse. The sixth seed Broad Run was 3-7 as well. I still don't think it's fair to have different formats and byes in some regions, but losing teams should not be rewarded. @Phoebus Fan, you are spot on about having to play Jamestown.

Just a bit of interesting information. Five teams with losing records made the playoffs in Class 4.

Region:
A: Gloucester, Manor, and Jamestown
B: None
C: Woodgrove and Broad Run
D: None

Region qualifiers overall record:
A: 44-36 (.550)
B: 62-18 (.775)
C: 38-22 (.633)
D: 55-25 (.688)

Undefeated teams:
A: Phoebus and Warhill
B: King George
C: Tuscarora

Looks like the remaining 4 teams were 3-7 or worse. The sixth seed Broad Run was 3-7 as well. I still don't think it's fair to have different formats and byes in some regions, but losing teams should not be rewarded. @Phoebus Fan, you are spot on about having to play Jamestown.

Just a bit of interesting information. Five teams with losing records made the playoffs in Class 4.

Region:

Undefeated teams:
Just shows how weak Region A is. Phoebus is in a bad spot right now in terms of competition. That only having one out of conference game and the PD being the weakest it’s ever been is such a set back. The kids are locked in thankfully.

Jamestown has lost 4 of their last 5 games by a combined 258-0…can’t believe this is the playoffs in 2023.

Region:

Undefeated teams:
I have no issues with losing records in high school making the playoffs, there's usually not many. They get rewarded by playing the top teams in the region. I do think when it gets to the region finals the brackets should be reset as one for each VA state class mixing all four regions together. Top two 1 seeds on one side of the bracket and the other two 1 seeds on the other side. All 2 seeds should be on the opposite side of the bracket of their respected 1 seeds in their region.

Last edited:
Reactions: one man and OCBoy
Good post @wolverinedad2018. I don't necessarily agree with your justification of Broad Run, Woodgrove, Jamestown, Manor, and Gloucester being rewarded for playing good teams in their region. They made it by default to fill out the bracket. If you take a look at the average rating points for each region (due to A and C's low team count I only took the top ten) you will see who actually played the "best teams" or better yet winning teams/SOS.

With the exception of John Champe 9-1 and Tuscarora 10-0 Region C only had 2 other teams over .500. The remaining six teams had losing records. If you combined the two districts that basically make up region C you would still only have four teams with winning records and 8 teams with losing records. I get it may be a down year up north, but your region kicked some good teams to the curb and for what? Looks fishy too me. Had that not happened Region C would line up like this and guess what. No losing teams.

1: Tuscarora
2. John Champe
3. Millbrook
4. Handley
5. Loudon County
6. Sherando

Average points ratings by region:
Region A: 23.57
Region B: 24.10
Region C: 22.90
Region D: 25.41

You are right there aren't many losing teams in Class 4 that make the playoffs. 5-30 to be exact. I do like your idea of resetting the brackets for the state semi's. My only concern would be teams playing good lower class teams to get points. If you are going to do that then you should not allow Class 4 teams to play OOD games against opponents below Class 3 or come up with a calculation for strength of schedule.

Region:

Undefeated teams:
I don't like buys because your team can become rusty. Start slow in next game. Then most first round games will be 21+ blowouts with a few exceptions.

I don't like buys because your team can become rusty. Start slow in next game. Then most first round games will be 21+ blowouts with a few exceptions.
If your team gets rusty off one bye week before the playoffs, then the coach is failing those young men.

If your team gets rusty off one bye week before the playoffs, then the coach is failing those young men.
Not necessarily, we are talking about 15-18 yr old kids. Coaches can still have them prepared. The rust is the mental part of not being in game action in 2 weeks. Most of your good teams its not an issue. Rust only last for first quarter, where false starts and off sides occur. Your just not as sharp to start the game. Then again your 1 or 2 seeds should still win. Usually they win the first round game by 21+ anyway if they were to play

Good post @wolverinedad2018. I don't necessarily agree with your justification of Broad Run, Woodgrove, Jamestown, Manor, and Gloucester being rewarded for playing good teams in their region. They made it by default to fill out the bracket. If you take a look at the average rating points for each region (due to A and C's low team count I only took the top ten) you will see who actually played the "best teams" or better yet winning teams/SOS.

With the exception of John Champe 9-1 and Tuscarora 10-0 Region C only had 2 other teams over .500. The remaining six teams had losing records. If you combined the two districts that basically make up region C you would still only have four teams with winning records and 8 teams with losing records. I get it may be a down year up north, but your region kicked some good teams to the curb and for what? Looks fishy too me. Had that not happened Region C would line up like this and guess what. No losing teams.

1: Tuscarora
2. John Champe
3. Millbrook
4. Handley
5. Loudon County
6. Sherando

Average points ratings by region:
Region A: 23.57
Region B: 24.10
Region C: 22.90
Region D: 25.41

You are right there aren't many losing teams in Class 4 that make the playoffs. 5-30 to be exact. I do like your idea of resetting the brackets for the state semi's. My only concern would be teams playing good lower class teams to get points. If you are going to do that then you should not allow Class 4 teams to play OOD games against opponents below Class 3 or come up with a calculation for strength of schedule.
I agree with Broad Run and Heritage. Woodgrove isn't a bad team (Except for getting upset by Heritage). They just beat Loudoun Valley last week. I also agree the Northwest District belongs with us. I'd rather teams with losing records make it then having a bye week. It's the nature of the beast, some regions don't have a lot of teams or strong programs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT