ADVERTISEMENT

Fairfax County Sweep

otnorot

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 31, 2006
The move to six classes hasn't been great for VHSL basketball as a whole, but it's sure been good to "Northern Region" teams.

The move to six classes hasn't been great for VHSL basketball as a whole, but it's sure been good to "Northern Region" teams.
I agree that going to six divisions was probably not the best idea (for all sports), and I look forward to seeing how the alleged reduction in divisions plays out (again, across the board), but I am curious what you mean by your comment "the move to six classes hasn't been great for VHSL basketball as a whole"?

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
1. Watered down the competition by spreading the best teams out over four classes, five now that John Marshall is Class 2. With so much talent in the private schools, there isn't a ton of depth in VHSL basketball, so it was much better when the best teams were all in Class AAA.

2. Killed the large-school regional tournaments.

3. Lower attendance and increased travel led to a scaling back of the tournament.

Not long ago the AAA sessions at VCU sold out if local teams were playing in the boys game(s), but the John Marshall-Western Albermarle final a couple years ago was probably less than half full.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT