ADVERTISEMENT

FCA Baseball Classic: Tennessee High 12, Gate City 11

swva_havok_fan

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 23, 2016
PREP BASEBALL: Hess provides a spark as Tennessee High outlasts Gate City, 12-11
  • Tim Hayes | BHC Sports Desk
  • 7 hrs ago
BRISTOL, Tenn.
– When C.J. Hess gets on base, good things tend to occur for Tennessee High’s baseball team.

Take for instance the bottom of the sixth inning on Thursday during the Vikings’ 12-11 victory over the Gate City Blue Devils in the first round of the Bristol Fellowship of Christian Athletes Tournament at Tod Houston Field.

The speedy leadoff man hit a booming one-out double that plated the tying run and then alertly scooted to third base on the throw home. Five pitches later, he sprinted to the plate for the go-ahead run when a groundball off the bat of Bryce Snyder was mishandled by a Gate City infielder.

“He’s definitely our catalyst,” said THS coach Preston Roberts. “He makes things happen.”

Hess walked twice, was hit by a pitch, stole two bases and scored three times.

He also made a nice play from the shortstop position, taking a relay throw from the outfield and snapping a perfect throw to third baseman Jarrett Powell, who applied the tag to a Blue Devils baserunner in the top of the sixth inning.

“He’s such an athlete,” Roberts said. “Just like the play he made on that relay throw. He made a similar play against David Crockett when we were down there and that kind of changed the momentum of that game. When he makes plays, he can change the momentum of the game.”

There were several momentum shifts on Thursday in a game that featured a combined 23 runs, 24 hits, 15 walks and four hit batters.

Tennessee High went up 8-2 in the second inning, but trailed 10-8 entering the bottom of the sixth inning.

A masterpiece it wasn’t.

“It was not pretty, it was ugly,” Roberts said. “But an ugly win is better than a good loss, I guess.”

Tennessee High (9-4) has had a few games like that so far in 2019.

“In a lot of ways we have not been able to find our groove,” Roberts said. “We’re finding ways to win and that’s important, but we’ve had multiple different lineups, guys batting in different spots, we’ve had guys banged up all spring. … We’re just trying different ways to put the right lineup in there and compete.”

Tennessee High played without the services of slugger Gavin Cross – a Virginia Tech signee – on Thursday.

“He’s got a bruise on his back where he got in a rundown recently,” Roberts said. “We’re just trying to let him rest up a little bit. Hopefully, he’ll be back soon.”

Meanwhile, Gate City’s Division I prospect certainly showcased his skills.

Junior catcher Jon Compton connected for two home runs in the loss, both of which were no-doubters.

He crushed a game-tying two-run shot in the sixth and smashed a solo blast in the seventh inning.

“Anytime you’ve got Jon coming up, you feel good about it,” said Gate City coach Jonathon Salyer. “He’s one of the better catchers, especially hitting catchers, in the area. He’s already been walked a bunch of times in the five games. Other teams think, ‘That’s the guy in their lineup and we’re not throwing to him.’ “

Freshman leadoff hitter Carson Jenkins had three hits for Gate City (3-2), while fellow ninth-grader Carter Babb had two hits and two RBIs. Tyler Gardner also supplied two hits.

“Our leadoff hitter is a freshman and our No. 3 hitter [Babb] is a freshman,” Salyer said. “We’re hoping those guys can come around and give [Compton] some protection.”

Salyer could take solace in the resiliency showed by his squad on Thursday

“I was real proud of the boys today. The other night against Union we struck out 15 times and we talked about putting the ball in play and battling and today I thought we did a better job of that,” Salyer said. “I think we might have struck out five times today. Anytime you can come over here and play Tennessee High to one run – I’m tickled to death with our effort.”

Roberts tipped a cap to the opposition.

“Credit them,” the Tennessee High boss said. “They had great approaches at the plate, didn’t try to do too much. Gate City made us work for everything we got and they scrapped. We found a way.”

Snyder (four runs), Powell (two hits), Davis Hall (three-run homer), Jacob Orr (3-for-5, two RBIs) and Daniel Hicks (two RBIs) also contributed to the triumph as THS advanced to face Morristown East/Unicoi County today at 6:30 p.m. in the tourney quarterfinals.

Yet, it was he leadoff man who had the biggest impact.

The one time Hess didn’t reach base – he struck out in the fifth – he made it a seven-pitch at-bat against Gate City hurler Jake Taylor.

“It’s new this year,” Hess said. “I don’t mind leading off. I get up there looking for a first-pitch fastball and get ready to hit it. … I’ve always battled a lot and try to get their pitch count up a little bit, that’s what I’m trying to do. That’s what Coach Roberts asks me to do – get on base.”

He followed orders on Thursday.

“When they came back and went ahead, everybody like fell apart,” Hess said. “Coach Roberts brought us in and got us all back together and then we started hitting. We just battled back and got people on base.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT