ADVERTISEMENT

Field goal attempt

moto138

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 4, 2018
Can the ball holder on a field goal attempt catch the ball with his knees on the ground and then flip the ball to the kicker to throw a pass?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
In high school he must rise off his knee to pitch or pass the ball to another player. If he throws it from his knee, he is down and the play is over.

I believe the holder can throw the ball with a knee on the ground in college rules.

Reactions: moto138
Can a
In high school he must rise off his knee to pitch or pass the ball to another player. If he throws it from his knee, he is down and the play is over.

I believe the holder can throw the ball with a knee on the ground in college rules.
Can a coach ask the ref why it was not ruled down?

Can a

Coaches can always ask questions. The best officials are the ones who are the best communicators. This is a critical skill for football officials who work the sidelines (H/L/S/F). I am an NCAA SJ and most Saturday's this is the most important thing I do. Often times I have to filter out the yelling and translate what the actual question was. If I don't known the answer I'll get one from a crewmate through the radio.That said I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time talking to low level assistant coaches. Failure to listen and address concerns of the head coach is the first thing that's going to get me trouble with the conference supervisor of officials.

Reactions: moto138
Can a

Sure. Hopefully there is a real answer and not something made up by a guy who didn't know the rule and allowed it to happen (as I've heard of happening.)

I had this exact play last year and I ruled the play over. The head coach went nuts, swore up and down the referee the previous week said it was OK. It was very easy to find out who that referee was, so I decided to find out. Weeks later, and before mentioning specifics, I steered a conversation to this rule and asked him his understanding. He knew it precisely. So I asked specifically about the coach's claim he had reported that it was fine to pitch the ball while on a knee. He said he never had any such conversation.

Sure. Hopefully there is a real answer and not something made up by a guy who didn't know the rule and allowed it to happen (as I've heard of happening.)

I had this exact play last year and I ruled the play over. The head coach went nuts, swore up and down the referee the previous week said it was OK. It was very easy to find out who that referee was, so I decided to find out. Weeks later, and before mentioning specifics, I steered a conversation to this rule and asked him his understanding. He knew it precisely. So I asked specifically about the coach's claim he had reported that it was fine to pitch the ball while on a knee. He said he never had any such conversation.
This play occured friday night. Appomattox vs Dan River. Dan River pulled it off for a td.

ADVERTISEMENT