ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL: Blacksburg 49 Richlands 17

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
Richlands gets on the board with 33 yd field goal. Blacksburg up 35-3 at half.

Blacksburg pulls away from Richlands 49-17 to improve to 4-0.

Richlands (1-2) travels to unbeaten William Byrd on Friday.

What awaits the following week is undefeated Bluefield.

No they didn’t. Appo3 doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

You get up 35-0, it ain't "pulling away." Blacksburg blew Richlands out and if they don't pump da breaks up 35-0, then they score 70. This game was a blowout and the final score of 49-17 was that close because Blacksburg allowed it to be that close. Could have been a 70-14 game if Blacksburg doesn't start subbing up 35 to zip

You get up 35-0, it ain't "pulling away." Blacksburg blew Richlands out and if they don't pump da breaks up 35-0, then they score 70. This game was a blowout and the final score of 49-17 was that close because Blacksburg allowed it to be that close. Could have been a 70-14 game if Blacksburg doesn't start subbing up 35 to zip
It was not 70-14. So don’t make it sound like it was. They chose to sub out players. Good for them. Blacksburg was the better team.

It was not 70-14. So don’t make it sound like it was. They chose to sub out players. Good for them. Blacksburg was the better team.
Nobody said score was 70-14, said it could have been. Learn to read. VHSL, your petpeeve was someone making sure the story of the game was clear, not the JV comment .When the poster wrote Blacksburg pulled away, it was misleading. BBurg was up 35-0 and pumped the breaks with subs and game could have been 70-14. Blacksburg didn't "pull away." Also, some of the players that subbed we're on the JV team

Nobody said score was 70-14, said it could have been. Learn to read. VHSL, your petpeeve was someone making sure the story of the game was clear, not the JV comment .When the poster wrote Blacksburg pulled away, it was misleading. BBurg was up 35-0 and pumped the breaks with subs and game could have been 70-14. Blacksburg didn't "pull away." Also, some of the players that subbed we're on the JV team
You need to take your own advice and read what I said again. You said the score could have been 70-14. I replied that it was not so don’t make it seem like it was. Would coulda shoulda lol

You need to take your own advice and read what I said again. You said the score could have been 70-14. I replied that it was not so don’t make it seem like it was. Would coulda shoulda lol

Could have been worse than 70-14. It was blowout city and having a 35-0 lead is clear. It wasn't Blacksburg pulling away. It was a blowout by the second quarter and Blacksburg truly could have scored 70 if they wanted. They out the breaks on to make it respectable, but even 49-17 is still a blowout

Could have been worse than 70-14. It was blowout city and having a 35-0 lead is clear. It wasn't Blacksburg pulling away. It was a blowout by the second quarter and Blacksburg truly could have scored 70 if they wanted. They out the breaks on to make it respectable, but even 49-17 is still a blowout
Why would such a small statement "Blacksburg pulled away" upset you? pizzzzza only reports the scores. He made this statement with respect to Richlands fans and players that might read this board. It's obvious that the game was not close at 49-17. 35-0 and a running clock in the second half makes it hard for a team to put up a lot of points. Usually if a team scores 70 one of 2 things happen. They put up 50+ in the first half or the other team keeps the score within 35 so their is not a running clock. ex) final score might be 70-42

Not upset. Why are you upset that I pointed out that Blacksburg didn't "pull away." Why would you be upset with the truth? To write that Blacksburg pulled away in this game is not the story of the game. It's not accurate. The game was far worse than 49-17. That's a fact. When up 35-0, you have "pulled away" far earlier than the final score of 49-17.

Not upset. Why are you upset that I pointed out that Blacksburg didn't "pull away." Why would you be upset with the truth? To write that Blacksburg pulled away in this game is not the story of the game. It's not accurate. The game was far worse than 49-17. That's a fact. When up 35-0, you have "pulled away" far earlier than the final score of 49-17.
I could care less about this game. It was a matchup between a good div 4 school and a average (For Richlands standards) div 2 school. You stated Blacksburg didn’t pull away then you state that they did. In reality they pulled away early in the game. Fact. I already told you that pizzzzza reports the scores for just about every game. Most posters already know this. 49-17 they won the game. I will watch it as soon as it gets uploaded to YouTube.

I can't speak to this game, but it does happen. Union put their actual JV team in against Letcher Co in the 4th quarter.
When you dress out for varsity you are varsity. Most schools have their second string play down on jv to get live reps in a game.

When you dress out for varsity you are varsity. Most schools have their second string play down on jv to get live reps in a game.
Perhaps it's a matter of wording or semantics, but Union has kids that are the starting lineup, then they have the kids that rotate in and out(2nd string), THEN they have a JV team that plays weekly JV games against other schools' JV teams. Those kids do dress out on Friday nights, but most are 9th graders.

When I refer to Union's JV, it is those 9th graders that practice on the same field, but separately with a separate, all be it small, coaching staff.

Perhaps it's a matter of wording or semantics, but Union has kids that are the starting lineup, then they have the kids that rotate in and out(2nd string), THEN they have a JV team that plays weekly JV games against other schools' JV teams. Those kids do dress out on Friday nights, but most are 9th graders.

When I refer to Union's JV, it is those 9th graders that practice on the same field, but separately with a separate, all be it small, coaching staff.
Now that makes perfect since. when I was in school we had a varsity, JV, and a freshman team. The freshman team was separate with different coaches as well. They did not dress on Fridays until the freshman season was over. Then it would only be 2 or 3 that dress out. Don't think they ever entered the game. I think VHSL doesn't like the statement "we put our JV'S in" because its rubbing it in the other teams face. ex) Blacksburg's JV 17 Richlands varsity 14

Reactions: Union_Fan
Now that makes perfect since. when I was in school we had a varsity, JV, and a freshman team. The freshman team was separate with different coaches as well. They did not dress on Fridays until the freshman season was over. Then it would only be 2 or 3 that dress out. Don't think they ever entered the game. I think VHSL doesn't like the statement "we put our JV'S in" because its rubbing it in the other teams face. ex) Blacksburg's JV 17 Richlands varsity 14
When I was in 9th grade, we were technically an all freshman team, but were referred to as JV. We didn't dress out on Friday's. 44 9th graders. Cannot imagine having that many kids in one grade playing football in today's time.

Reactions: SFUWO
It was 35-zip in the second quarter. Whether Blacksburg played all 2nd string seniors, juniors or 9th/10th graders or whatever, the point is that the Bruins didn't "pull away." They blew Richlands out, and because of the substitutions, the final of 49-17 was more respectable, but there is 2 kinds of 49-17. There's the 49-17 as in a game that's kind of close and a team scores 2-3 late TDS to pull away, and there is also the kind where a team is up 5 scores to zip as in 35-0, and then subs, and the score is 49-17. The Bruins and Tornado game was example two, not example 1.

It was 35-zip in the second quarter. Whether Blacksburg played all 2nd string seniors, juniors or 9th/10th graders or whatever, the point is that the Bruins didn't "pull away." They blew Richlands out, and because of the substitutions, the final of 49-17 was more respectable, but there is 2 kinds of 49-17. There's the 49-17 as in a game that's kind of close and a team scores 2-3 late TDS to pull away, and there is also the kind where a team is up 5 scores to zip as in 35-0, and then subs, and the score is 49-17. The Bruins and Tornado game was example two, not example 1.
drop it already. The score was 49-17 no matter how they got there. subbing in players is part of the game. Richlands just lost to Union 42-28 the week before. They will probably get rolled by WB tonight. Like I said before pizzzzza was probably not at the game and just reported the score along with 20 other scores. Anyone who has spent any time on these boards knows that. They pulled away early just like they did against Giles.

I think VHSL doesn't like the statement "we put our JV'S in" because its rubbing it in the other teams face. ex) Blacksburg's JV 17 Richlands varsity 14

Wow. Facebook-level cluelessness has made it's way over here.

It's NOT "JV's", it's the 2nd (and/or 3rd) string. Those kids prob. put in years of practice and probably don't like when ppl. call them "the JV team".

I think we actually WILL see the JVs tonight, since Byrd cancelled their JV season due to low numbers. Only 24 guys on their roster right now.

Wow. Facebook-level cluelessness has made it's way over here.

It's NOT "JV's", it's the 2nd (and/or 3rd) string. Those kids prob. put in years of practice and probably don't like when ppl. call them "the JV team".
Couldn’t agree with you more

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT