ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four Is Set

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
I went 3-1 on my state Quarterfinal picks, with the only one I missed being the Riverheads vs Mathews game. I picked Riverheads by 2 and Mathews won by 3. Being a Region A guy, I'll gladly take getting that one wrong. The final four on Tuesday should be interesting.

Colonial Beach vs Mathews. CB players and fans better not get overconfident just because they beat Mathews last week. The Blue Devils are an excellent team and when they are on, they can beat anyone. I expect a close game, possibly down to the wire.

Grundy vs Auburn. Very interesting matchup here. The size of Grundy against the quickness of Auburn. I expect this game to be in the 40s to low 50s.

My prediction before the state tournament began was Colonial Beach vs Auburn, so I'm not changing it now.

Lloyd Combs is saying Grundy will be host school. Is that correct? I thought Grundy would be heading toward Montgomery Co..

Lloyd Combs is saying Grundy will be host school. Is that correct? I thought Grundy would be heading toward Montgomery Co..
How the bracket is, since both were region runners up, then Grundy will host. It was predetermined, before the tournament even began. If Eastside would have won, they would have hosted, since they were regional champions.

Reactions: uderricky
How the bracket is, since both were region runners up, then Grundy will host. It was predetermined, before the tournament even began. If Eastside would have won, they would have hosted, since they were regional champions.
That’s where I received misinformation. I think someone had stated that region D would be traveling on swva sports (coulda been talking 2A).

thanks, man.

CB will host Mathews at King George on Tuesday at 7pm too, btw

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Looks like I’ll be making a drive home and sleeping in the old bedroom on Tuesday. That oughta make the wife happy.

If I can make it, I’ll try to Facebook live the game and let you know.
Cool. Buchanan County Sports did a FB Live when Grundy played Eastside last weekend. I haven't asked him if he's going on Tuesday, but I'm sure 95 percent of Grundy will be there on Tuesday. Lol

Cool. Buchanan County Sports did a FB Live when Grundy played Eastside last weekend. I haven't asked him if he's going on Tuesday, but I'm sure 95 percent of Grundy will be there on Tuesday. Lol
If they put that at Riverview...it’ll look like a 1996 wrestling tournament in Salem lol

Grundy will have a dynamite homecourt advantage.

Not positive on numbers. Riverview would be a typical “medium” high school gym....Imagine elevated bleachers. Probably 3500.

SVCC ain’t much different.
I'm not sure what the VHSL rule is about playing at a middle school that is in the same school system. They say you can't play on your home floor and while Riverview is in Grundy, it's not where the Wave plays their home games. Around these parts, where I live at, we don't have a middle school that is even remotely close to holding 3500. For that matter, not many ,if any high schools either. Lol.

I'm not sure what the VHSL rule is about playing at a middle school that is in the same school system. They say you can't play on your home floor and while Riverview is in Grundy, it's not where the Wave plays their home games. Around these parts, where I live at, we don't have a middle school that is even remotely close to holding 3500. For that matter, not many ,if any high schools either. Lol.
I’m completely spitballing on those numbers. Let’s go with a margin of error of +\- 1000 lol

Its been a good while since I’ve been in both gyms but I know Riverview seats double or more of what Grundy High School can hold.

I’m completely spitballing on those numbers. Let’s go with a margin of error of +\- 1000 lol

Its been a good while since I’ve been in both gyms but I know Riverview seats double or more of what Grundy High School can hold.
I see it's at Riverview now. That's like 10 minutes from Grundy, so that's a whole lot better than the hour or so drive to Southwest Virginia Community College.

How many does Riverview hold? What about Southwest Virginia CC?

How does Auburn match up to Grundy? I haven't seen them in person so I'm curious to their style of play and how they'll defend/attack Grundy

How does Auburn match up to Grundy? I haven't seen them in person so I'm curious to their style of play and how they'll defend/attack Grundy
Auburn goes about 8 deep. Their leading scorer is sophomore Ethan Millirons, who is arguably the best player in 1A. Behind him, they do it by committee. Yesterday all 8 players who played for them scored. Their tallest guy is about 6'4 or 6'5, and is pretty good sized. They are very fundamentally sound and shoot it very well and can play an up and down game if need be, but is just as comfortable playing a grind it out game. I expect this game to be in the 40s or low 50s at best. It really is a toss up game in my opinion and I would be surprised if either team ran away with the game. Looney will get his for Grundy and Millirons will get his for Auburn. To me it comes down to the other players for each team and who gets the most help from their secondary players. I think Keene needs to be a little more active on the offensive end for Grundy. The last few games I've seen, he's kind of taken a back seat approach and hasn't scored as much.

Reactions: BigWinners
Auburn goes about 8 deep. Their leading scorer is sophomore Ethan Millirons, who is arguably the best player in 1A. Behind him, they do it by committee. Yesterday all 8 players who played for them scored. Their tallest guy is about 6'4 or 6'5, and is pretty good sized. They are very fundamentally sound and shoot it very well and can play an up and down game if need be, but is just as comfortable playing a grind it out game. I expect this game to be in the 40s or low 50s at best. It really is a toss up game in my opinion and I would be surprised if either team ran away with the game. Looney will get his for Grundy and Millirons will get his for Auburn. To me it comes down to the other players for each team and who gets the most help from their secondary players. I think Keene needs to be a little more active on the offensive end for Grundy. The last few games I've seen, he's kind of taken a back seat approach and hasn't scored as much.

Is Auburn mostly man to man? I wouldn't be surprised if teams throw some box and 1 or other match up zone defenses to try and limit Looney and make the supporting cast bring the offense.

Is Auburn mostly man to man? I wouldn't be surprised if teams throw some box and 1 or other match up zone defenses to try and limit Looney and make the supporting cast bring the offense.
In the games I've seen them play, they did a great job of mixing up their defensive game plan. They are definitely a very good defensive team. They held Ethan Powers of Eastside to 12 points on Saturday and that's no easy feat.

i think grundy does play their home games at riverview, that is one reason for the gym they built there

i think grundy does play their home games at riverview, that is one reason for the gym they built there
No team is allowed to play state games at the gym that they play their regular home games at. From talking to a couple of folks from Grundy, they play their home games at the high school. If they did play their home games at Riverview, then they would not be allowed to play there tonight.

No team is allowed to play state games at the gym that they play their regular home games at. From talking to a couple of folks from Grundy, they play their home games at the high school. If they did play their home games at Riverview, then they would not be allowed to play there tonight.
For a couple of years, following Riverview being built, Grundy played home games there but eventually transitioned back to the high school.

Gym works well for the wrestling tournament but too large to fill for a regular season basketball game.

Indeed....Grundy hosted the BDD tourney there last year and played first round Region game there but they play at HS during regular season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT