ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL: King William 55 Blue Ridge School 16 (Thursday)(Story Inside)

(C'ville Varsity)

ST. GEORGE — After a last-minute forfeit from its opponent last week, Blue Ridge football coach Jimmy Wills wanted a challenge for his team and set up an impromptu game with King William to fill out the schedule.

The Cavaliers gave the Barons just that Thursday afternoon, as three running backs rushed for more than 100 yards to lead King William to a 52-16 road victory.

Kolbe Jorgenson rushed for 153 yards and three touchdowns and Marc Gresham churned out 104 yards and four scores as the Cavaliers (6-1) rolled to the victory. Fullback Travis Gilbertson led the team with 155 yards on 10 carries to lead a balanced attack.

“They beat us up with the run, and obviously that starts with the guys up front,” Wills said. “They had a really good offensive line, big, strong, physical guys, probably a little bit better than what we thought they were going to be up front. Their running backs were well-coached. They were a good, solid football team.”

King William scored on its first three possessions and set the tone for the game early with a power running attack. Gresham rumbled in off right tackle from 12 yards out to cap a 9-play, 61-yard drive. Gilbertson added the two-point conversion to put the Cavaliers up 8-0 with 8:25 left in the first quarter.

Blue Ridge (3-5) answered with a 10-play drive of its own, but quarterback Xavier Kane was stopped a yard short on 4th-and-7 at the King William 23.

Two possessions later, the Cavaliers scored again as Jorgensen rumbled 13 yards up the middle on a third and goal play. Gilbertson added another two-point conversion to extend the lead to 16-0 with 10:35 left in the half.

The Barons responded on their next drive. Keegan Kozack set up the score with a 27-yard reception from Kane. Two plays later, Kane hit Prophecy Kisamore on a shuffle pass for a two-yard touchdown. The senior quarterback then found Icesys Lewis for the two-point conversion to trim the lead to 16-8 with 9:52 left in the half.

King William regained momentum on the ensuing kickoff as Jorgensen returned the ball to the Blue Ridge 17. The junior running back scored on the next play from scrimmage to extend the lead to 22-8.

The Cavaliers’ defense got into the action on the next possession as they forced Kane to throw the ball out of bounds while he was in the end zone. The officials called intentional grounding on the play and King William was awarded a safety for a 24-8 advantage with 5:26 left in the half.

Coach Dylan Dehart’s team added to its lead a minute later as Gresham found a crease in the middle of the line and rumbled 15 yards for a touchdown and a 32-8 lead.

Blue Ridge didn’t quit. Kane hit Jack Charboneau on a 13-yard pitch and catch along the left sideline. Kane added the two-point conversion as the Barons trimmed the lead to 32-16 with 2:02 left.

King William then marched down the field and scored again as Jorgensen ripped off a 26-yard scoring run for a 38-16 halftime lead.

Wills said his team was flustered in the first half.

“We were able to move the ball well at times against them,” he said. “We finished off a couple of touchdown drives, but I also felt like we left a couple drives out there on the field.”

Gresham scored a pair of touchdowns on two-yard runs in the second half to put the game out of reach.

The Cavaliers finished with 369 yards of total offense, including 364 on the ground.

“Ultimately, we just got outplayed,” Wills said. “I certainly don’t regret taking the game. We wanted to play a high-quality opponent and we found one and that’s how you get better. You’ve got to look to compete and that’s what we did today. We came up on the short end of the stick and certainly that doesn’t feel good, but I’m proud of my guys and my coaches and we’re going to keep fighting for it and see what we can do to finish out the year.”

Kane was 15 of 35 for 196 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Barons. Kozack caught three passes for 76 yards.

“I’m disappointed for our seniors,” Wills said. “But hopefully we’ll learn a lesson from that and we get better. We’ve got Fishburne and then we’ve got Benedictine to end the season. If we can get two wins there, you never know, maybe we can sneak in the playoffs.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT