ADVERTISEMENT

Final: Lake Taylor 38 Monticello 0

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
6-0 at halftime. I said this year's Monticello is not this year's Heritage (NN) but no one believed me, ha. We have a ball game, folks. Monticello brings the pressure on defense this year almost like LT. Lots of Cover 0. Good team speed for both squads. LT is good but not like last year.

EDIT: this post was made at halftime, edited the title after the game.

Last edited:
T
I said this year's Monticello is not this year's Heritage (NN) but no one believed me, ha. We have a ball game, folks. Monticello brings the pressure on defense this year almost like LT. Lots of Cover 0. Good team speed for both squads. LT is good but not like last year.
So far you are correct. But there is another half.

Mustang student section chanted "overrated" as the teams left the field, I think that was a big no-no!

Well, this would be typical of any HS or College who's in th spirit of the moment. But I certainly understand the more practical attitude of not wanting to awaken the sleeping giant. Enjoy.

LT stops a promising Mustang drive and scores less than a minute later but muffs the PAT. 20-0 near the end of 3rd.

Yup. Don't screw with a sleeping giant. Are you sure the two's were in with more than 5 minutes to go? They rolled over that easily?

Yes, once the score was 26-0 Monticello benched the starters on both sides. I think it was my first time seeing a team do that.

Monticello's defense surprised me. They looked good but didn't have depth and started to wear down near halftime. However, I like Woody's offense more than Lloyd's. They have some similarities, but Woody's has more misdirection and it's a no-huddle hurry up. I think Woody's offense with Lloyd's defense would yield a special team.

Last edited:
Lake Taylor did not win by as much as I though BUT their defense was superb. I don't know if the stangs had positive yards offensively. I thought score could have been worse alot of should have could have would of. LT defense is going to be tough to beat.

Hoos who do you think will win the district now after the first two weeks? My sleepers are not doing so hot.

Monticello's my pick. I really like their defense, their offense will improve, and I'm not sold on Western. Powhatan's my "sleeper" since everything has been so quiet about them, but I'm hearing they look good.

Last edited:
Yeah, Monticello did hold Lake Taylor to 421 yards..but I do agree with you actually. Watching Monticello tonight was tough to watch on offense, but in the JD i think they have enough weapons to score in the JD. I still find it hard to believe that some people in the area see the JD as having strong teams and that statement has nothing to do with Monticello performance. I thought Monticello played as well as they could play the first half and Lake Taylor played as poor as they could play. Orange, Western, Fluvanna all lose. I did see Albemarle and Powhatan won.

Yeah, Monticello did hold Lake Taylor to 421 yards..but I do agree with you actually. Watching Monticello tonight was tough to watch on offense, but in the JD i think they have enough weapons to score in the JD. I still find it hard to believe that some people in the area see the JD as having strong teams and that statement has nothing to do with Monticello performance. I thought Monticello played as well as they could play the first half and Lake Taylor played as poor as they could play. Orange, Western, Fluvanna all lose. I did see Albemarle and Powhatan won.

We came out flat after the delay and our QB looked like a kid making his 2nd career start. We only had the ball for 12 plays in the first half with 1 first down as we fumbled it away on a punt and made some other poor decisions whether it was reading the option or throwing the ball. Through all of our struggles offensively the defense was playing lights out. After settling them down at halftime we came out and had 18 first downs in the 2nd half and moved the ball at will. That's why there are two halves to a game. A lot of people will walk away and say we didn't look impressive, but I'll take the win any day. They finished with -36 yards rushing and 35 yards passing for -1 yard total offense.

BEST QUOTE of the young season! LMAO!!!:D

We came out flat after the delay and our QB looked like a kid making his 2nd career start. We only had the ball for 12 plays in the first half with 1 first down as we fumbled it away on a punt and made some other poor decisions whether it was reading the option or throwing the ball. Through all of our struggles offensively the defense was playing lights out. After settling them down at halftime we came out and had 18 first downs in the 2nd half and moved the ball at will. That's why there are two halves to a game. A lot of people will walk away and say we didn't look impressive, but I'll take the win any day. They finished with -36 yards rushing and 35 yards passing for -1 yard total offense.
Exactly I thought game was much worse than score. I think your offense will only get better over the season. I was impressed. When you were on defense as much as you all were the first half and you still were controlling field position by sending the Monticello offense other direction that's impressive.

Pleasure meeting you last night Mike, though it was only a shake and few words. Apologize for interrupting, lol. I couldn't stay much longer following the delayed start. Defensively Davis, Bruton, Palmer, Wahee are about that life. Played press man essentially the entire game. Davis sat at 4 yards a few times. Monticello QB made some nice throws but those WRs struggled to make catches in traffic against the coverage. He was running for his life all night. Defensively for Monticello, McLaughlin made a few big tackles, Crenshaw and Bates stepped up in playing a ton of man coverage as well. Looked good early but second half the veer came alive and Monticello had no answer. Monticello will do very well in the Jefferson IMO. They look to be on the level of each of the 3 teams we've played this year, JM, Brookville and Dominion; all teams that will win 7-10 regular season games. Got some talented kids defensively, Lloyd's pressure defense will provide teams with challenges.
On the LT side, the QB is not as good as Shiheem last year BUT he may be better than Shiheem when he was a sophomore. That kid Hughey is going to be special if he keeps at it over the next few years. OL is huge, they move people around well. They are in deed the real deal.
Long season still ahead of us all though.

Harrsionburg(2-0) @ Charlottesville(0-1) Friday Sept. 11, 7:30.

6-0 at halftime. I said this year's Monticello is not this year's Heritage (NN) but no one believed me, ha. We have a ball game, folks. Monticello brings the pressure on defense this year almost like LT. Lots of Cover 0. Good team speed for both squads. LT is good but not like last year.

Let me make sure I have all of this straight. lT played as poorly as possible in the first half with only 1 1st down yet Monticello gave up 427 yards of offense to LT in the game. Monticello had -1 yards of offense for the entire game. But you guys are saying the Mustang defense is good and the offense will improve enough to make a run at the JD title. Makes perfect sense to me.

Monticello is not this year's Heritage? Lt is good, but not like last Year? Still making those wild statements I see.

Lake Taylor got off to a slow start after a three hour bus ride and a rain delay, yet they still managed to hold Monticello to -1 yards (that's a negative 1 yard) for the entire game. Heritage got 68 yards against LT.

Monticello held Lake Taylor to 421 yards, while Heritage did "slow" them down to "only" 370 total yards (LT got 381 on Monticello, just on the ground). The only place Monticello did a better job than Heritage was on the scoreboard. It's the second week of the season, it remains to be seen whether or not Lake Taylor is as good, or better than last year. Time will tell.

Quote in the Daily Progress by Monticello's Coach, “They [Lake Taylor] are just so darn fast,” Lloyd said. “They bring more than you can block and if you don’t get rid of the ball in time, it’s going to be an incomplete pass or a sack. As good as they are athlete-wise, they are so good at everything else also.”

Sound's like last year's Lake Taylor to me. The quote is almost identical to quotes from Salem's coach and quarterback after the State Championship game.

At least you did recognize that Monticello's student section was missing with a sleeping gorilla. Kudo's for that.

@rickyw I made that first post at halftime, then edited the title after the game. LT had over 100 yards in penalties against Heritage in the first half alone, and the halftime score was still 35-0. Not the case last night. Monticello put their backups in for whatever reason when the score was 26-0 with around 7 or 8 minutes left in the game, and LT had their remaining yards against them. I stand by everything I said. LT's sophomore QB should improve, but right now he's not the good passer Shiheem was, and that's why I say LT is good but not like last year. Too bad you weren't there last night, or you would understand what I mean.

Lake Taylor did not win by as much as I though BUT their defense was superb. I don't know if the stangs had positive yards offensively. I thought score could have been worse alot of should have could have would of. LT defense is going to be tough to beat.
I don't worry about a team's offense all that much in week 2. If the defense is clicking and you've got coaches and talent, you're going to have a good year.

Reactions: gwb16
I don't worry about a team's offense all that much in week 2. If the defense is clicking and you've got coaches and talent, you're going to have a good year.
Especially when they run the veer and are young. Offense is normally behind defense early.

@GilliamRatings :( hope the bye week really, really helps us.
The Jefferson District is out of the gate pretty slowly...there's time.

My computer sees it this way right now:

72.09 Powhatan
70.47 Western Albemarle
69.56 Monticello
57.49 Louisa
55.94 Albemarle
54.31 Charlottesville
39.42 Orange
33.29 Fluvanna

So it's bunched into three groups. Louisa may actually prove they belong in the top group soon. We'll see. I think Powhatan hasn't been tested, WA surprised me by losing this week, Monticello held their own with LT for a 1/2, which is scary. Albemarle may be a hair better than in past years. C'ville I never figure out. Orange is better, but they had a long way to go, still I expect them to be favorites this week and if they keep improving and spring an upset in the district or 2, they could be 4-6 or 5-5 which would be a giant improvement over the last few years. Fluvanna with two hard luck losses to weak teams, is going to be searching hard for a win.

Everyone should also keep in mind that this was Monticello's season opener. It sure didn't look like it though, at least for a half. They also came very close to getting a safety two plays in a row in the first half.

Last edited:
@GilliamRatings :( hope the bye week really, really helps us.
Everyone should also keep in mind that this was Monticello's season opener. It sure didn't look like it though, at least for a half. They also came very close to getting a safety two plays in a row in the first half.
And???? They had -1 yards total offense tell me what other team has done that to the mighty mustangs?

Especially when they run the veer and are young. Offense is normally behind defense early.
They're only young at the QB spot and one RB spot. Hughey's a great runner, just needs to improve as a passer. It really helps them to have that veteran line. Lots of juniors and seniors on both sides this year.

And???? They had -1 yards total offense tell me what other team has done that to the mighty mustangs?
AND their defense will stuff a lot of teams this year, and that offense will be fine unless they have another LT on their schedule. It's not like Monticello is 4A.

The Jefferson District is out of the gate pretty slowly...there's time.

My computer sees it this way right now:

72.09 Powhatan
70.47 Western Albemarle
69.56 Monticello
57.49 Louisa
55.94 Albemarle
54.31 Charlottesville
39.42 Orange
33.29 Fluvanna

So it's bunched into three groups. Louisa may actually prove they belong in the top group soon. We'll see. I think Powhatan hasn't been tested, WA surprised me by losing this week, Monticello held their own with LT for a 1/2, which is scary. Albemarle may be a hair better than in past years. C'ville I never figure out. Orange is better, but they had a long way to go, still I expect them to be favorites this week and if they keep improving and spring an upset in the district or 2, they could be 4-6 or 5-5 which would be a giant improvement over the last few years. Fluvanna with two hard luck losses to weak teams, is going to be searching hard for a win.
Yeah afraid we may not win this season. Just hope for improvements. But no all that surprising about jd starting off slow. JD is not what it was years ago. All the area coaches doing there coaches corner for daily progress better check their eyes when saying district is fast and big. I never seen so much sugar coating by the albemarle county coaching staffs and Charlottesville coach

Yeah afraid we may not win this season. Just hope for improvements. But no all that surprising about jd starting off slow. JD is not what it was years ago. All the area coaches doing there coaches corner for daily progress better check their eyes when saying district is fast and big. I never seen so much sugar coating by the albemarle county coaching staffs and Charlottesville coach
Maybe the area coaches know something you don't?

AND their defense will stuff a lot of teams this year, and that offense will be fine unless they have another LT on their schedule. It's not like Monticello is 4A.
Doubt many teams total offense will be -1 though.
Let me make sure I have all of this straight. lT played as poorly as possible in the first half with only 1 1st down yet Monticello gave up 427 yards of offense to LT in the game. Monticello had -1 yards of offense for the entire game. But you guys are saying the Mustang defense is good and the offense will improve enough to make a run at the JD title. Makes perfect sense to me.
Tells you how poor jd is

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT