ADVERTISEMENT

Final: Monacan 42 Louisa 24

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
It looks like this will be the matchup. Louisa needs to get that "want-to" back they were preaching about at the beginning of the season. Forget basketball season. Last night was atrocious. Certain players need to be all about the TEAM instead of themselves and their stats. You know who you are. If you focus on being all about the team, your stats will come anyway. If they don't tighten up and realize they have a ton of potential, Louisa doesn't stand a chance against Monacan. And this is all I'm posting on the subject.

Should be one of the best 1st round games in the entire state. Don't be surprised to see Job Whalen have a big game. Louisa has some big bodies to throw around. Monacan has some very solid playmakers in Fludd, Williams, and Birdie. Also I'm skeptical if the Lions will be able to cover Austin Snellings. He's probably one of the better receivers I've seen in a while on the high school level. This will be a shootout and I think whoever wins might come down to whoever has the ball last. Hoos and Mbonape1 are my boys so I hate that they both gotta meet in round 1. Good luck to both teams.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Should be one of the best 1st round games in the entire state. Don't be surprised to see Job Whalen have a big game. Louisa has some big bodies to throw around. Monacan has some very solid playmakers in Fludd, Williams, and Birdie. Also I'm skeptical if the Lions will be able to cover Austin Snellings. He's probably one of the better receivers I've seen in a while on the high school level. This will be a shootout and I think whoever wins might come down to whoever has the ball last. Hoos and Mbonape1 are my boys so I hate that they both gotta meet in round 1. Good luck to both teams.

I think Monacan is still a mystery. The game that they played that most impressed me was the one-point loss to Manchester. 6 of their wins were against pretty poor opponents. However, I can't get very excited about Louisa after watching them flounder around like a flounder in the Jefferson District. Looking for a Monacan win 26-20 or something like that.

Louisa is a head scratcher.. To be honest it's like they suck on the road closer games than they should be or losses. Louisa is going to be tough at the jungle but I am going to take Monacan. IMO this is the best team Louisa has seen through ten games.

By the way congrats to the ville on their win. I know that I was one that thought no way and the black nights took the punches and threw more back.

I think Monacan is still a mystery. The game that they played that most impressed me was the one-point loss to Manchester. 6 of their wins were against pretty poor opponents. However, I can't get very excited about Louisa after watching them flounder around like a flounder in the Jefferson District. Looking for a Monacan win 26-20 or something like that.

5 of Monacan's opponents are playoff bound out of the Dominion District. It kind of all relative bc the bottom of the Dominion is LOW. So I guess I would agree with you that 6 of the opponents were bad but 4 were pretty good. I think that is probably on par with most teams. They also were dominant against bad teams and other playoff teams except for Bird. Really sort of got robbed against Man but I won't re-hatch that. LC Bird crushed us.. No hiding that one. I think Bird and Man. would give nearly all 4A teams state-wide trouble. I think we have a pretty good team and you have to be an elite team in 4A to beat Mon. Is Louisa?? I think Louisa has played like an Elite team this year at times. Other times not so much. Louisa has a lot of big athletic kids, I am shocked that they lost a few of those games. They are still like 10 points from being 10-0. Its really sort of an awkward match-up for both teams in my opinion. Contrasting styles.. I am also leary of playing teams we have never played or seen before.

Too Bad we aren't in the West... We'd all have a bye!! ok had to give a little dig at the west side.

Gonna be a long road to a state championship for both of these teams given the early hurdles ahead. Good luck to Hoos and Lions. I am rolling with the Chiefs... Just for the record I don't pick against my own team! Should be a great game.

5 of Monacan's opponents are playoff bound out of the Dominion District. It kind of all relative bc the bottom of the Dominion is LOW. So I guess I would agree with you that 6 of the opponents were bad but 4 were pretty good. I think that is probably on par with most teams. They also were dominant against bad teams and other playoff teams except for Bird. Really sort of got robbed against Man but I won't re-hatch that. LC Bird crushed us.. No hiding that one. I think Bird and Man. would give nearly all 4A teams state-wide trouble. I think we have a pretty good team and you have to be an elite team in 4A to beat Mon. Is Louisa?? I think Louisa has played like an Elite team this year at times. Other times not so much. Louisa has a lot of big athletic kids, I am shocked that they lost a few of those games. They are still like 10 points from being 10-0. Its really sort of an awkward match-up for both teams in my opinion. Contrasting styles.. I am also leary of playing teams we have never played or seen before.

Too Bad we aren't in the West... We'd all have a bye!! ok had to give a little dig at the west side.

Gonna be a long road to a state championship for both of these teams given the early hurdles ahead. Good luck to Hoos and Lions. I am rolling with the Chiefs... Just for the record I don't pick against my own team! Should be a great game.

Playoff bound just means "almost everybody." George Wythe is in the playoffs. The thing that makes it so hard to compare though, is this question. "Is the bottom of the Domonion District really low?" I mean, I know they're low compared to the stud 5A teams around Richmond, but if I dropped Midlothian, Clover Hill, Huguenot and George Wythe in districts elsewhere in the state that are mostly made up of 3A and 4A schools, I feel like they don't seem nearly as much like punching bags.

Reactions: gwb16
Playoff bound just means "almost everybody." George Wythe is in the playoffs. The thing that makes it so hard to compare though, is this question. "Is the bottom of the Domonion District really low?" I mean, I know they're low compared to the stud 5A teams around Richmond, but if I dropped Midlothian, Clover Hill, Huguenot and George Wythe in districts elsewhere in the state that are mostly made up of 3A and 4A schools, I feel like they don't seem nearly as much like punching bags.

To be honest i forgot about George Wythe in the playoffs that is unthinkable. I wasn't including them in my sumation lol. Midlo and Clover hill could maybe be 500 in a different district. GW is still is far behind regardless. Huguenot I think will be making a comeback but as of right now I would say 2-4 wins in other districts.

If you drop James River and Cosby in other districts as you mentioned I think they are 7-8 win teams.

Reactions: OCBoy
I don't see Louisa losing at home to Monacan. Monacan is really good, but Louisa is just another team at home. They beat Courtland and King George, crushed Albemarle, Fluvanna, and beat Orange in their home games this year. They're used to big games at home. I'm guessing Lions 28 Monacan 22

I don't see Louisa losing at home to Monacan. Monacan is really good, but Louisa is just another team at home. They beat Courtland and King George, crushed Albemarle, Fluvanna, and beat Orange in their home games this year. They're used to big games at home. I'm guessing Lions 28 Monacan 22
The thing is, I don't know how good Monacan is...honestly. I think this game will be quite fascinating. I would go, but I have promised myself to the Bluestone Barons for the night. It will be there first playoff game ever!

I think the Monacan matchup comes down to two things. Can Monacan stop the ground game of the Lions. And, can the Lions cover the Chiefs receiving corp.

I don't think Louisa can be successful passing, period. So if they get behind and need to score quick and often, they may be in trouble. Monacan does a good job of giving their QB adequate time to pass. Plus, he is accurate on the rollout. If Louisa can minimize the completions by Monacan, then they should be able to grind out a win.

Louisa playing at home is an advantage, but not as much against Monacan. Coach Henderson will have his team focused. But, if Monacan falls behind the Lions, the noise in the Jungle will ratchet up with each play.

One last thing on Monacan. It worries me that they appeared to chunk it in against Bird. Danville Sports Head was at that game. And he has a pretty darn good eye for football. He was shocked and disappointed that the Chiefs seemed to basically quit after their early game successes got stymied. This is not what I would expect from a Coach Henderson coached team under any circumstances.

Remember the old saying, "adversity doesn't make character, it reveals it"!

One last thing on Monacan. It worries me that they appeared to chunk it in against Bird. Danville Sports Head was at that game. And he has a pretty darn good eye for football. He was shocked and disappointed that the Chiefs seemed to basically quit after their early game successes got stymied. This is not what I would expect from a Coach Henderson coached team under any circumstances.

DP... Who you got in this one? You calling Louisa with the W?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
No, I have not decided. I tend to be leaning toward Monacan. Primarily because of the "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. Monacan seems to be going in the right direction, Louisa is showing vulnerability.

But, as I anaylize each team, I oscillate back and forth with my choice.

No, I have not decided. I tend to be leaning toward Monacan. Primarily because of the "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. Monacan seems to be going in the right direction, Louisa is showing vulnerability.

But, as I anaylize each team, I oscillate back and forth with my choice.

Ok well we are gonna need a pick by Friday Morning. I want you on record lol!

I can see this happening..I just cannot figure Louisa out. I am not so sure that Louisa came out better than everyone else through 6 games and then everyone else got better and Louisa just got stuck in the mud.

Louisa is a sound team. Will pound you if you let them. In my opinion, Monacan will stretch them out and the small db's of Louisa will struggle. If Louisa slows things down and keeps it close???????

Prayers go out to the Lions and the Whalen family.

Reactions: Louisadad
I've watched both teams in person. Just my opinion. Match ups are difficult to judge in football. Cool thing is, the players and coaches get to figure all that out.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I agree, we don't stand a chance.
Come on Hoos. You said you were not making any further comment. You have said forv two years Louisa would beat Monacan. Man up. Either you have given up which I dont believe (not your nature) or you feel differently. Comments welcome.

Reactions: mbonape1
I love my boy DP, but he is being diplomatic. Monacan wins. Will not predict a score to close to call. Louisa is a good team, but will not likely be able to handle the vertical passing game of Monacan.

Haha I wasn't going to let him do a double post with no pick... without a Brett Baer "I want you to go on the record with this for the American people" I enjoy the games-men-ship though! i'll bring my chess board out to Dinwiddie!

Monacan 35 Louisa 14

Bird does that to you, though. Rod Johnson said it a couple of years ago about Bird. They are going to come out and smack you in the mouth. They are going to keep doing it and if you didn't like it in the first quarter, just wait until the fourth quarter when they're still smacking you in the mouth. If you don't like they way they hit you in the first quarter, too bad, because they're going to hit you just like that in the fourth quarter.

I think if a team is going to eventually have anything for Dinwiddie or Lake Taylor they need to stay in the game with Bird, but I never thought either these teams would.

My last comment: "I bet Monacan knows what to do if they block a field goal."

Bird does that to you, though. Rod Johnson said it a couple of years ago about Bird. They are going to come out and smack you in the mouth. They are going to keep doing it and if you didn't like it in the first quarter, just wait until the fourth quarter when they're still smacking you in the mouth. If you don't like they way they hit you in the first quarter, too bad, because they're going to hit you just like that in the fourth quarter.

I think if a team is going to eventually have anything for Dinwiddie or Lake Taylor they need to stay in the game with Bird, but I never thought either these teams would.

My last comment: "I bet Monacan knows what to do if they block a field goal."

Do you really think LOUISA would kick field goal. lol

Reactions: mbonape1
Really I am surprised by that. They are tough at home. Charlottesville looking potent early. Might be another shoot out. Too early to call.

The Lions cap off an 80 yard drive with a 28 yard run by Job Whalen, 8-0 Louisa.

Last edited:
Louisa backup QB Liddle (Bell is not dressed) fumbles near the redzone, Monacan answers with a 51 yard pass to Snellings, 14-8 Monacan in the 2nd.

Monacan stops Louisa then scores to go up 21-8, Louisa fumbles again but then Monacan kills themselves with penalties, then Louisa drives the field to make it 21-16 Monacan nearly halftime.

Final: Monacan 42 Louisa 24. Good showing by my boys without Bell and Cherry. It sucks because I feel like Monacan's offense is better than Dinwiddie's, and Dinwiddie's defense is better than Monacan's, so if we could've out-scored Monacan we would have a fighting chance next week. Congratulations to the Chiefs!

Tough luck Hoos and the Lions. With your youth everybody will be expecting great things next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT