ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL: Sherando 49 James Wood 12

I was only able to see the first half and I would have to agree with Shruikan, neither of the teams were looking all that great. The following are my takeaways as I've now seen Sherando scimmage earlier against Musselman and then the first half of this game.

Sherando Offense:
The O-line is obviously a work in progress.
Campbell is a good athlete and may be a better player for the team at WR and the younger kid get at least a shot at QB. He had one good dart he threw down the seam to Bauer late in the second quarter. Unfortunately, that was followed up by an underthrown flats pass which was followed up by a 96-yard interception return. He also had a pick in the first half where it looked like he winged it into triple coverage. Give JW defense credit but he just didn't look comfortable throwing the ball.

Sherando Defense:
I can't say I was real impressed with the defense either. As I stated before from Mussleman scrimmage, Sherando defense had a lot of missed coverage assignments, not flying to the ball and missed tackles. I was impressed with how elusive JW QB was but Sherando did have guys near him, just didn't complete the tackle. In the first half alone I believe JW was threatening inside Sherando's redzone three times. On two of those possessions they got a little excited and forced two interceptions in the endzone. Other things I had noticed were dropped open passes by JW or bad throws to open JW receivers.

Sherando special teams was not spectacular either. Two kick returns and a punt return by JW in the first half put them in favorable field position.

A couple side notes:
Jabril Hayes has wheels and might be the best athlete on the team. Unfortunately he fell to an injury in 2Q, tried to come back a few plays later and hobbled off.
Payne Bauer had an injury in 2Q but came back a few plays later and seemed fine.
D. Lane, the RB has good running back vision and a great 10-15 yard burst but lacks that break away speed TJ Washington had last year.
This was obviously a rival game but was disappointed to see in the first half alone Sherando had two personal foul penalties and JW had one.

Like I said I was only able to see the first half and those are my takeaways. Room for improvement as always from a young team and good fight from JW as I believe the game could have been closer than the scoreboard indicated.

Reactions: Shruikan
I am knew here , but I saw a whole different game . Sherando dominated on both sides of the ball and it wasn’t close . And James Wood ended the game with more personal fouls than Sherando. I was looking for a better James Wood wth 22 seniors to show up , but Sherando was dominant on both sides of the ball . Heck the Daris Lane fella had 250 yards rushing !

Reactions: Shruikan
I am knew here , but I saw a whole different game . Sherando dominated on both sides of the ball and it wasn’t close . And James Wood ended the game with more personal fouls than Sherando. I was looking for a better James Wood wth 22 seniors to show up , but Sherando was dominant on both sides of the ball . Heck the Daris Lane fella had 250 yards rushing !

Did you go to the Broad Run/Tuscarora game? How would you say these two teams compared to those two at this point in the season?

I did see the game on Gameday magazine, was unable to attend. I thought both Both teams looked pretty good, but not at Championship caliber quite yet. But it is the first game of the season. Every team has lots of new players in first time positions. I don’t think Sherando is at Championship level either, but also it’s the first game. They certainly dominated the game last night though. And the score reflects it.

I certainly respect your decision and Sherando did earn the victory, I just wouldn't go as far to say they dominated the game. Can we agree that the points of concern I mentioned were noticeable in your observations?

I'm just trying to portray an accurate presentation of the game to the readers who weren't able to attend.

I think this quote from the winchesterstar would help explain my observations from the first half.

"James Wood came up empty on six possessions inside Sherando territory in the first half, twice as a result of Zach Kim interceptions inside the 5-yard line. By the time the Colonels scored their first offensive touchdown, they were behind by 43 points with 4:32 left in the game."

Credit Sherando's defense on stepping up when it needed to, but a defense that allows that to happen 6 times in a half of football is what caused me to say they have some tackling issues and missed coverage assignments. It's just a little uncharacteristic of a Sherando defense compared to recent years.

Sherando and James Wood should be played later in the season, imho. I like to go to that one! And Clarke has a home game the same night of the Sherando and Millbrook game, another one I like to attend.

Total yards Sherando 533 James Wood 232.
Rushing yards Sherando 398 James Wood 55
I don’t how anyone could watch this game and think it was close. It was 21-0 after the first quarter. I was hoping to see a good game, will avoid this game next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT