21 Essex
16 Centreville
15 Lafayette
10 Altavista
9 Ocean Lakes
7 Glenvar
7 Wilson Memorial
4 Tuscarora

Number of Final Fours (counting this year)
15 Salem
9 L.C. Bird
7 Essex
6 Centreville
6 Lafayette
4 Magna Vista
4 Altavista
3 Wilson Memorial
3 Lake Taylor
2 Ocean Lakes
1 Tuscarora
1 Glenvar

Number of Championship Games
9 Salem
5 Lafayette
5 Essex
4 Centreville
4 L.C. Bird
3 Lake Taylor
3 Altavista
2 Ocean Lakes
1 Magna Vista
1 Tuscarora
1 Glenvar
1 Wilson Memorial

Number of Titles
6 Salem
2 Centreville
2 L.C. Bird
2 Altavista
1 Lake Taylor
1 Lafayette
1 Essex
0 Ocean Lakes
0 Tuscarora
0 Magna Vista
0 Glenvar
0 Wilson Memorial

Playoff Wins
56 Salem
33 L.C. Bird
29 Essex
25 Lafayette
24 Centreville
20 Magna Vista
19 Lake Taylor
19 Altavista
13 Ocean Lakes
11 Wilson Memorial
7 Tuscarora
5 Glenvar

Final Four Wins
15 Salem
6 Centreville
6 L.C. Bird
6 Lafayette
6 Essex
5 Altavista
4 Lake Taylor
2 Ocean Lakes
1 Tuscarora
1 Magna Vista
1 Glenvar
1 Wilson Memorial

Winning Percentage since 1999 in all games
.856 L.C. Bird
.831 Salem
.793 Lafayette
.783 Tuscarora
.776 Essex
.774 Lake Taylor
.739 Ocean Lakes
.718 Centreville
.653 Magna Vista
.580 Wilson Memorial
.575 Glenvar
.500 Altavista

2013 record
15-0 Centreville
15-0 L.C. Bird
14-1 Altavista
13-2 Essex
12-1 Ocean Lakes
12-1 Lafayette
11-2 Magna Vista
11-3 Salem
10-2 Wilson Memorial
10-3 Lake Taylor
9-3 Tuscarora
5-6 Glenvar

Best Previous Year
2013 Centreville (or 2000) state champs
2013 L.C. Bird (or 2012) state champs
2013 Altavista (or 2009) state champs
2012 Lake Taylor - state champs
2012 Ocean Lakes - runners up
2012 Wilson Memorial - final four
2012 Tuscarora - lost in round of 16
2009 Essex - state champs
2005 Salem (or 2004, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1996) state champs
2002 Magna Vista - Final Four
2001 Lafayette - state champs
1992 Glenvar - elite eight

Points per game
51.6 Ocean Lakes
46.9 Salem
45.0 Lafayette
44.9 Magna Vista
42.7 Altavista
41.8 Centreville
41.6 Lake Taylor
40.5 Tuscarora
40.5 L.C. Bird
38.6 Essex
37.6 Wilson Memorial
28.7 Glenvar

Points allowed per game
4.6 Wilson Memorial
5.1 Altavista
7.1 Lafayette
8.4 Lake Taylor
8.6 Glenvar
10.4 Ocean Lakes
10.6 L.C. Bird
11.2 Tuscarora
13.4 Salem
14.3 Essex
15.6 Centreville
18.4 Magna Vista

This post was edited on 12/9 10:14 AM by GilliamRatings

Not much enrollment disparity in each class! Salem first playoff was in

1986? and they've done all that damage - wow! To think, I'd be happy if my alma mater could win more than one game a season, or miracle of miracles, finish .500.

Re: Not much enrollment disparity in each class! Salem first playoff was in

Just nit-picking here Magna Vista went to the final four in 2003 also.

Originally posted by OldIndian81:
1986? and they've done all that damage - wow! To think, I'd be happy if my alma mater could win more than one game a season, or miracle of miracles, finish .500.
Quite a bit more success in the city than that including 2 more state titles, they just happened at a different high school. Andrew Lewis, which is the now the middle school, used to be the city's high school. When it was re-purposed and Salem High School was opened those records all ended and a new one began. Lewis used to have a lot of success on the AAA level.

Question for GilliamRatings

What school or school's had the most losses but still won a state championship?

Re: Question for GilliamRatings

Originally posted by Bluetree:
What school or school's had the most losses but still won a state championship?
D1 Applachia and D1 Jonesville both entered the playoffs at 5-5 and won state and they did it in back-to-back years.

Because of the playoff system giving more games now those are your winners because even if a team played 10 games like 70 years ago they'd have never gone to the playoffs at 5-5. I'm not gonna check back through a century of VHSL state champs to confirm that guess but I'm pretty sure I'm right haha. Most of your old state title teams were probably at worst a 2 loss team before the days of the 4 and 5 game playoff system.

There's been about 6-7 teams to have done it with 4 losses, too.

Totally understand now. My bad, didn't lose but the 1 game to Heritage in the semifinals in 2002, even though we had to forfeit all the victories that year for the ineligible player. Not a year we like to remember.

Should you consider Salem and Andrew Lewis as one?

One high school city----changed building and name from Lewis to Salem----but still the same community and school lines.
Lewis won two State Championships in 60's and got beat in the finals vs. T.C. Williams in early 70's. Salem is just Andrew Lewis ---same school.

Re: Should you consider Salem and Andrew Lewis as one?

No, I don't think that Salem and Lewis should be considered as one for record purposes. There's too much of a discontintuity with Glenvar from 1966-1983. Some neighborhoods in the city of Salem were in the Glenvar attendance zone from 1966-1977 and, of course, all of the current Glenvar attendance zone was assigned to Salem from 1977-1983.

This comes up from time to time. Another similar case would be Lane high school and Charlottesville high school. I think with the problems Virginia had with integration of the schools and stuff, at some point most people decided that if the schools changed names during this period, they would just start over. Due to the fact that Salem high school opened so much longer after integration it's probably not a big deal there, but for a long time the African American kids in Salem went to Carver School. I know that a lot of people would probably be offended if someone suggested that Charlottesville was a continuation of Lane, because the African American kids went to Burley high school. Since a lot of African American kids went to Lewis before Lewis was finally closed, that probably wouldn't be quite as bad of an issue, but still, it's probably better to just go with the rule that a new building and a new name probably will be considered a new school, because I'm sure this situation happened a lot in the 60's and 70's and the pain felt in Virginia when we desegregated was tremendous.

There were certainly a lot of schools opening and closing and renaming during that period, but the Salem change was definitely after all that.

I don't know much about Andrew Lewis, but I do know they made only one playoff appearance, advancing to the State Final in 1971 where they lost to somebody they made a movie about, T.C. Williams.

The scores for that playoff run were

Lewis 20, E.C. Glass 14
Lewis 26, Douglas Freeman 21
Williams 28, Lewis 0

The movie conveniently forgets that Lewis was the opponent in the final, because playing a school that had integrated smoothly years before Williams in the title match doesn't make for as good of an ending as if they have to play somebody who's yet to integrate and who's student body and teachers regularly tortures puppies to death. I don't know why they decided Marshall was the school to depict that way.

I really wish, I had the time and ability to hunt down information about all the old, black-only high schools in Virginia and their sports histories, in particular. I think it would be an awesome book, but the newspapers didn't cover those schools (a few years ago I decided to write a history of high school football in Virginia and one of the things that stopped me, was I felt I would be writing a history of "white" high school football if I went back before 1967 or so (and I'm particularly interested in that time period).

The old Richmond Times Dispatch (or News Leader I don't remember which) used to have ONE page at the back of one section in the Sunday paper called "The News of Negroes" or something like that. It would sometimes have an account of a game, but rarely. There was also an old newspaper that was called "The African American" or something like that. I would find some stuff in there, but it was really hard to come by.

Reading stuff from the 19th century (yes, they were playing high school football in Virginia all the way back in 1895), really made me uncomfortable as the newspapers would have the "N" word used regularly. I will say one thing, we might still have a way to go before we are a society that doesn't notice race, but we've come a LONG way, baby.

It was Salem High until 1932 when the new building became Andrew Lewis. The new
Building became Salem High again in the late seventies. The first Afro-American students came
in 1962. I was there as a student as was OMHDC. Andrew Lewis won state titles in 1962 & 64.
They finished second in 66 & 71. The 62 title was taken away due to ineligible player. They
were a powerhouse every year & never had a losing season under Eddie Joyce.

How true. But the 1st. Year was O.K. 78-83 was a nightmare.

Andrew Lewis was a Roanoke County school. When Salem became an independent city their new high school was named simply Salem High School. There was a pretty hot debate about that as I recall. Some of us old timers still sing "The blue and white will wave on high, we'll win this game tonight or die" instead of " maroon and white" in the fight song. Old traditions die hard and so do old Wolverines!
GO SALEM
GO MULES

ADVERTISEMENT