ADVERTISEMENT

First day of school?

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Who has the early start dates. I assume the usual mountain area schools will start during the week of Aug. 13-17?

Botetourt starts about as early as anyone, I think? Nelson County, too?

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Who has the early start dates. I assume the usual mountain area schools will start during the week of Aug. 13-17?

Botetourt starts about as early as anyone, I think? Nelson County, too?
Majority of the schools up here start back either first or second week of August. Most graduations are mid may with school being out around Memorial Day. It has a lot to do with the semester ending before Christmas rather than a week or so into January.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Majority of the schools up here start back either first or second week of August. Most graduations are mid may with school being out around Memorial Day. It has a lot to do with the semester ending before Christmas rather than a week or so into January.
Well, it looks like Monday the 13th is the earliest so far. OCBoy, can you see if any of the schools up your way do, in fact, start the week before the 13th?

Again, none of this has anything to do with athletics, I'm just curious. I wonder about WV schools?

Well, it looks like Monday the 13th is the earliest so far. OCBoy, can you see if any of the schools up your way do, in fact, start the week before the 13th?

Again, none of this has anything to do with athletics, I'm just curious. I wonder about WV schools?
Culpeper goes back the 13th. Graduation is may 17/18

Thank you, OCBoy.

I like the idea of finishing the first semester before the Christmas break. After a couple weeks off, the kids and the teachers can start off fresh. Makes good sense, I wonder why it's not more popular?

Reactions: OCBoy
Thank you, OCBoy.

I like the idea of finishing the first semester before the Christmas break. After a couple weeks off, the kids and the teachers can start off fresh. Makes good sense, I wonder why it's not more popular?
Not sure. I know it benefits the student and teachers to end the semester before Christmas break

I actually do care. I start my practicum in the fall semester and was trying to go to a locality that started before Henrico Public Schools started up (where I work full time). I have to get 100 hours with the elementary kids and get 600 hours with the middle/high school kids (which can be satisfied at my current job) for internship. VCU would not allow me to go back to Danville to do anything (they start the 2nd week of August) .I learned that Richmond, Chesterfield, Hanover and Henrico’s start time is dictated by King’s Dominion since July and August are their busiest times and a good portion of summer employees are students. It makes no sense to start school after Labor Day. Kids are going to be kids..By mid May, after SOLs and a grueling school year, those kids are ready for summer. Behavior problems, dress code, you name it! Unless they have to go to summer school, kids have no place in school after Memorial Day. Have all June and July out and start the second or third week in August.

Salem goes by the "King's Dominion law" as well. To get an exemption you have to avg a certain number of snow days per year to justify starting early. The Superintendent has been trying to get this antiquated law overturned, but with no luck.

Salem goes by the "King's Dominion law" as well. To get an exemption you have to avg a certain number of snow days per year to justify starting early. The Superintendent has been trying to get this antiquated law overturned, but with no luck.
Horrible! It’s rough on the kids and faculty. We had SOLs the 2nd week in May..After those we had kids everywhere. The teachers are tired and fed up & admin want suspension numbers down. Behavior is bad from after SOLs until June 15th (the official last day of school). I believe you need about a week for makeups and then give out exams. The weekend before Memorial Day should be graduation days (Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday if need be).

Horrible! It’s rough on the kids and faculty. We had SOLs the 2nd week in May..After those we had kids everywhere. The teachers are tired and fed up & admin want suspension numbers down. Behavior is bad from after SOLs until June 15th (the official last day of school). I believe you need about a week for makeups and then give out exams. The weekend before Memorial Day should be graduation days (Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday if need be).
Hard to argue against your rationale. Ive heard many a faculty member say essentially the same thing. After SOL's, it's a waste of everybodies time.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Down here it’s the Busch Gardens rule and all that I know start the day after Labor Day. Where I grew up in Northern New Jersey everyone started after Labor Day also, never knew an earlier school start existed till I moved down here in 1986.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT